Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

One thing that was pointed out to me, talking to our Tokyo correspondent @railsquid is the almost total lack of crossovers at the station throat of Tokyo station, very unlike – as  @jamie92208 can attest - the station throat at SBB Basel which is a veritable spaghetti junction.

This lack of turnovers means that trains do not have to negotiate intricate pathways in order to get to their designated platform (which is always the same for a given service). So no waiting for the slow train from Chiba (or whatever the Japanese equivalent of Croydon is) to clear the points before being able to depart. This certainly speeds up arrivals and departures (aided in grand part by the very short dwell time permitted at the station - passenger loading and unloading is very fast, aided no doubt by the passengers waiting patiently at the allocated boarding points as the train comes in.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Is that the lady who trashed the American F15  driving motormouth?

Yep, that's the one. She took him on in 1v1 guns only combat and tore him to shreds, much to everyone else's delight. He was so embarrassed that he invented some excuse to go back home.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

I am currently on generator power (since about 0630 EDT) thanks to a not so nice lady named Helene.  Hopefully Duke will not take too much time restoring service. I just checked and the Generac is putting out118VAC, Duke usually averages 121VAC.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I have discovered that my garage which is attached to the house lowers my energy rating! 

Bear doesn't have that problem....

(Have I mentioned why?)

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

What a load of rubbish. Distributed by a company called 'The Asylum', very apt.

Going by the title, you were expecting a production to rival “Gone With The Wind”?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Just to avoid doubt I do have a quickly stolen picture of Sclhoss ID2.  Obviously I can't pinpoint the exact location.

JamieP9150078.JPG.3272bc44229ed30689d5454c5d129eb1.JPG

It does have a moat and doubtless other defences.

Jamie

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

The neighbour's cat visited about 2 hours ago and went to sleep in the spare room. 

We went out for dinner. 

It didn't bat an eyelid. 

It might decide to go home at some point this evening or tomorrow. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 5
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I am currently on generator power (since about 0630 EDT) thanks to a not so nice lady named Helene.  Hopefully Duke will not take too much time restoring service. I just checked and the Generac is putting out118VAC, Duke usually averages 121VAC.

Shouldn't be a problem. Well within spec. I think it's unlikely we will feel her effects here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I have discovered that my garage which is attached to the house lowers my energy rating! 

I'm not entirely sure what "energy rating" is all about but our vehicle storage facility is under the house. Would that be good too?

• Like 1