Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Agreed - as long as you realise that it's a programme designed for entertainment and is not an historical documentary. Here in the UK there have been numerous newspaper articles about everything that's wrong with it . . . . . . . . 

Most of it!

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

A former colleague of mine made an appearance in a Railway related documentary.  When it was broadcast, he hit the roof, the footage had been edited in such a way, it made him appear to not be following the rules!  
TV Producers are only interested in entertainment, not showing the masses the reality of many situations or ensuring the program matches recorded history.

Paul

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

I have spent today assisting in the making up of a pack of DIY stuff for Nyda's Ranger Unit.

Fortunately, a lot of the timber had already been chopped up, so I just needed to drill lots of holes in this timber so they could be refilled with wood filler and then sanded smooth.

The rusty hinges I generated before  the summer will be de rusted and then oiled so that they work once more.

My elder, and therefore scabby screwdrivers have gone into the box along with various electrical items for a plug/fuse/battery changing exercise.

I was also required to provide various grades of sand paper, oil and fillers.

However I could not work out why they needed my tape measure.  Apparently it's to do with measuring braking distances.  I suggested my 50 m range tape might be better, but they are doing the drawing to scale, so a 5 m tape should be suffice.

Meanwhile in the garage, PN is in the throes of being re-erected in a shortened form for 'testing' purposes. 

I had now better start getting our tea ready, before I get my ears bent.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Fortunately, a lot of the timber had already been chopped up, so I just needed to drill lots of holes in this timber so they could be refilled with wood filler and then sanded smooth.

Drill lots of holes in wood so they can be filled up again....

Huh?

Bear needs to lie down in a darkened room......

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 2

Good evening folks,

Drilling and then filling holes sounds like one of my first railway apprentice fitting workshop tests.

Take a square bar and cut a length off.

File the cut face flat, making sure it is square with the length.

Once flat and square, mark off two grooves, of the same width so that there are equal flats and grooves in the flat face.

Cold chisel out the two grooves to a set depth (about 5mm IIRC)

Once assessed by the workshop leader, then file the face flat so there's no longer any grooves (back to stage 2).

After which, a pint or two is very much needed!

But not before 😂

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I have a friend who shall remain nameless, who was once required to take a sheet of A4 paper, rule transverse lines across it at certain spacing, and then photcopy.  That was Local Government, rather than the Forces.

Someone once gave me something to read and then straight-facedly asked me how I would reply - that wasn't a "bottle of prop-wash" request, but it was a real letter marked "Treat As Serious" (not "Serios).

regards

cs

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Now Now my young bear well have none of that behaviour if you don't mind. There are plenty of 'respectable' companies who will be only to glad to put the poor thing out of its misery by smashing it against a brick wall.

Don't do that. There are probably some useful bits such as motor, gearbox, couplings that could be recycled and the bodywork could be melted down and used as filler or as the basis for a coal heap or something.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Royal Mail has done rather well. My ebay coaches were posted in Ripon at 11.56 yesterday, delivered to Sherry in Torquay at 10.13 today. Less than 24 hrs for quite a lot of miles. Impressed. 

Don't worry, this is just a temporary situation and normal service will resume shortly.

10 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

A former colleague of mine made an appearance in a Railway related documentary.  When it was broadcast, he hit the roof, the footage had been edited in such a way, it made him appear to not be following the rules!  
TV Producers are only interested in entertainment, not showing the masses the reality of many situations or ensuring the program matches recorded history.

Paul

Many years ago my employers were the subject of a short C4 series.  A lot of staff got understandably upset at one episode where the project team, being overspent and having made some common but forgivable errors in the test programme, were shown discussing how they would approach the customer for an extension of the budget.  It gave the impression, "We balls-ed up, how can we pull the wool over the customer's eyes and ask for more money, without looking like idiots?". 

What the programme failed to mention was that the customer had been present at the trials, was fully aware of the problems and in the scene shown, was sat just behind the cameraman.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a messy day today. Yesterday afternoon we discovered a leaking TRV on the  radiator in our hallway and called in the plumber. Luckily he is a good bloke who tries to respond as quickly as he can and was with us in the early evening but even so we were having to mop up what looked like gallons of water. Anyway, he blanked off the offending valve but by then it was getting late so we left the rest of the tidying up until this morning. He hopes to get back to us on Friday to fit a new TRV.

The rest of my morning was taken up giving the garden pond its autumn servicing - cleaning out duckweed, blanket weed etc. - then the afternoon was gutter cleaning. All in all, I'm now fed up with things to do with water. Except glasses of Caol Isla that is. I'm currently on my second 🙂

Dave 

• Friendly/supportive 18

17 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Don't do that. There are probably some useful bits such as motor, gearbox, couplings that could be recycled and the bodywork could be melted down and used as filler or as the basis for a coal heap or something.

Dave

If we're grooving on the never-shall-be-mentioned green panny here, then why not shorten the cab-roof, remove the bread-basket tanks and replace with a saddle, and call it a Bristolian?  Otherwise, the cab-spactacles, coal-plate from the bunker, footplate-whatsits, and handrails and knobs could also be reclaimed and recycled.

regards

cs

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

I will draw the honourable gentleman's attention to the remarks he made a short while ago on the Midland Railway Company thread, about  matters turning into a slanging match.

One must remember that it is not the locomotive's fault that it was made in Swindon and painted green, but that of the Board of Directors, all of whom are long deceased.

So the locomotive should be treated with the reverence all models of steam locomotives should receive regardless of its size, creed or colour or where it was born.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, AndyID said:

The way things stand, even if I left now it's not clear I'd make it on time 😄

Maybe HH could flash those 3D printed bits to the members as my sort of virtual presence.

BTW, I just binge watched Season One of "The Perfect Couple". Worth a shot if you like that sort of thing.

Good call there.  A million years ago, I reported to our DC office at tea time on a Friday, went through what needed to be discussed, and was then asked about my plans for the weekend and how some of my friends were.  I replied that one was getting married in Edinburgh the following day, whereupon I was instructed to get myself on the first plane back to Blighty so I wouldn't miss it.  It took me quite a while to explain that even if I returned to IAD then, I would not make it to Edinburgh until Sunday night or Monday morning.  Transatlantic air travel isn't actually all that easy...

This was confirmed the following evening, when some students in the hotel bar were having a very similar discussion.

Remote meetings aren't great but they are OK.

regards

cs

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I will draw the honourable gentleman's attention to the remarks he made a short while ago on the Midland Railway Company thread, about  matters turning into a slanging match.

One must remember that it is not the locomotive's fault that it was made in Swindon and painted green, but that of the Board of Directors, all of whom are long deceased.

So the locomotive should be treated with the reverence all models of steam locomotives should receive regardless of its size, creed or colour or where it was born.

Quite right HH, I am suitably chastened.

Hangs head in shame...

🥺

Dave

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Ive been busy in the workshop today, having a go at making a jig to build 00 gauge 1/8 inch diameter split axles. 

The axle jig didn’t take as long to make as I expected it would. Using some of my mini tools certainly sped things up in that department. 8 used a mini jigsaw to cut out the 2 pieces of Perspex, then a mini disc sander to sand the sides flat. A mini drill to drill the 4 - 4mm tapping holes in one side, 4 clearance and countersunk holes for screw heads in the other side. It was then clamped up and a 3.1mm hole drilled through the 2 mating faces, which I then made up to 1/8 inch using a 1/8 inch reamer. I’d got it all completed by dinner time. 

The photo below is of the finished jig. 
IMG_20240924_150739_Original.jpeg.6cf81bbc35d89d64fa147ec2179c8aa3.jpeg

After dinner, I decided to use it and so made my first split axle. I reduced 7mm of one end of a 1/8th inch axle, to a diameter of 1.3mm. I then slid on a piece of 2mm plastic tube, which has a bore of 1.3mm onto this spigot. I then glued a small disc of plasticard, with a 2mm bore, onto the plastic sleeve and butting against the shoulder of the axle. I then drilled a 2mm hole down the centre of separate axle and the removed a short section, 6mm in length and glued this onto the plastic sleeve. The whole assembly was then inserted into the jig, where it remained until the glue had set. The result is an axle that is perfectly straight and which has 2 electrically isolated ends and very importantly, will pass through 1/8 inch brass bushes on the locomotive chassis. The axle just needs shortening to the correct length, but it’s now ready to go. 

The photo below shows the finished axle.

IMG_20240924_150915_Original.jpeg.8fc4c9abd9770f2355b3765b9badaa59.jpeg

Of course, I could buy these items, but as I’ve got lots of useful offcuts of Perspex and I’ve got a lathe. Also, each pack of Alan Gibson wheels contains a spare axle, the only thing I’ve bought is the plastic tubing, but this was already in stock, so it’s literally cost me pennies to make. 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Better yet, just wrap it up very securely and send it to me (preferably by Royal Mail, the handling over here is much better than any of the commercial carriers). Why heck, I will even pay the postage!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Adam88 said:

Are you sure it's not?  It looks like a Gresley Was Right loco to me.

Although it has been suggested that he should have stuck to conjugating his verbs rather than his valve-gear 😂

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

3 hours ago, Chris Snowdon said:

Good call there.  A million years ago, I reported to our DC office at tea time on a Friday, went through what needed to be discussed, and was then asked about my plans for the weekend and how some of my friends were.  I replied that one was getting married in Edinburgh the following day, whereupon I was instructed to get myself on the first plane back to Blighty so I wouldn't miss it.  It took me quite a while to explain that even if I returned to IAD then, I would not make it to Edinburgh until Sunday night or Monday morning.  Transatlantic air travel isn't actually all that easy...

This was confirmed the following evening, when some students in the hotel bar were having a very similar discussion.

Remote meetings aren't great but they are OK.

regards

cs

Yes, it's a real pain in the neck. I've lost count of my number of Transatlantic flights. Here to mainland Europe was a not much fun because of the nine hour difference. The odd thing is the flight time isn't all that different, particularly from Iceland because you are going over the top.

We picked up a flight from LA to Tahiti one time. It had started in Paris and it was full of half-dead French people 😂

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Ive been busy in the workshop today, having a go at making a jig to build 00 gauge 1/8 inch diameter split axles. 

The axle jig didn’t take as long to make as I expected it would. Using some of my mini tools certainly sped things up in that department. 8 used a mini jigsaw to cut out the 2 pieces of Perspex, then a mini disc sander to sand the sides flat. A mini drill to drill the 4 - 4mm tapping holes in one side, 4 clearance and countersunk holes for screw heads in the other side. It was then clamped up and a 3.1mm hole drilled through the 2 mating faces, which I then made up to 1/8 inch using a 1/8 inch reamer. I’d got it all completed by dinner time. 

The photo below is of the finished jig. 
IMG_20240924_150739_Original.jpeg.6cf81bbc35d89d64fa147ec2179c8aa3.jpeg

After dinner, I decided to use it and so made my first split axle. I reduced 7mm of one end of a 1/8th inch axle, to a diameter of 1.3mm. I then slid on a piece of 2mm plastic tube, which has a bore of 1.3mm onto this spigot. I then glued a small disc of plasticard, with a 2mm bore, onto the plastic sleeve and butting against the shoulder of the axle. I then drilled a 2mm hole down the centre of separate axle and the removed a short section, 6mm in length and glued this onto the plastic sleeve. The whole assembly was then inserted into the jig, where it remained until the glue had set. The result is an axle that is perfectly straight and which has 2 electrically isolated ends and very importantly, will pass through 1/8 inch brass bushes on the locomotive chassis. The axle just needs shortening to the correct length, but it’s now ready to go. 

The photo below shows the finished axle.

IMG_20240924_150915_Original.jpeg.8fc4c9abd9770f2355b3765b9badaa59.jpeg

Of course, I could buy these items, but as I’ve got lots of useful offcuts of Perspex and I’ve got a lathe. Also, each pack of Alan Gibson wheels contains a spare axle, the only thing I’ve bought is the plastic tubing, but this was already in stock, so it’s literally cost me pennies to make. 

I've done something similar using Araldite as the insulator. IIRC I  did it in two shots with a brass spacer. Insert glue on one side, let it cure. Remove brass spacer and insert glue on other side. Last step turn the gap in the lathe. (It was a while ago so that might not be quite how I did it.)

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have a complete set of split axle bits for 4 mm scale that I've never used.

If I was scratchbuilding in Scale 7, I might be tempted to use such a pick up system.

Thankfully, I'm not in such a predicament.

It's a good idea in any scale, but even with a split-chassis it's still a good idea to have pickups on the split axle rather than just relying on the bearings in the split-chassis. Pickups on the axles can exert a lot more force and therefore less electrical resistance than pickups at the outer diameter of the wheels. Sorry to say, but it's another of those annoying friction things 😀

• Like 11

21 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Paul

10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Don't worry, this is just a temporary situation and normal service will resume shortly.

Many years ago my employers were the subject of a short C4 series.  A lot of staff got understandably upset at one episode where the project team, being overspent and having made some common but forgivable errors in the test programme, were shown discussing how they would approach the customer for an extension of the budget.  It gave the impression, "We balls-ed up, how can we pull the wool over the customer's eyes and ask for more money, without looking like idiots?". 

What the programme failed to mention was that the customer had been present at the trials, was fully aware of the problems and in the scene shown, was sat just behind the cameraman.

Many, many years ago - when I was young and foolish (as we all are at that age), I was musing about future careers and “entertainment” (theatre, TV, film) seemed a possibility. BUT I had no illusions about my “star” quality, realising that - at best - I’d make a reasonable character actor* (you know, the wounded sidekick who holds up the zombie horde as the hero and heroine get to safety kind of thing) but I very quickly realised that being a producer or a director or editor means you are less subject to the whims of the public and - better - you can shape people’s perceptions of the actors (all but the very biggest names). Plus being a director or producer (or even director/producer) has the bonus of telling people what to do.

It all comes down to the editing, the lighting and the background music (especially the editing).  Given enough raw footage of - say - HH, I could edit it down to show an extremely brave military man repeatedly cheated off his well deserved recognition by jealous senior officers OR to show a venal chancer who spends most of his time snaffling cake from those who deserve it more than he (such selective editing is something you can’t do with live theatre - the one “entertainment” form I’ve actually been active in).

So I am always amused by these youngsters who think that they will achieve fame, if not stardom, by appearing on strictly come fantasy big brother jungle bake off or the like. The producers and the director will have already sealed that individual’s fate on the programme before the ink is even dry on the contract. And, what’s more, you will be competing with hundreds of other, self-deluded, wannabes.

So, the take home message is “if someone offers you the (ahem) ‘opportunity’ to be part of a ‘sympathetic documentary on X’, (im)politely decline and run, not walk, for the nearest exit”

* actually, being a reliable character actor can provide steady employment - something that is a rarity - even for the big names - in acting. 

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Agree 2