Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Ah yes, 'liberation'... It's interesting and sometimes an eye-opener to see what's available/new and whether I try it there and then or (ahem) 'take a sample for later scientific research', I try more things that way than I ever would if I had to shell out for a full sized jar of [whatever]. 

There is of course a fringe benefit... SM32 wagon loads.... 

honeywagon.jpg.881a402619fa91498915dd4decb165a0.jpg

In this case, a honey wagon. Provoked by a photo competition where the theme is 'something beginning with B', I exercised some lateral thinking/natural insanity* and recalling Blackadder and Baldrick's chat about I Spy and breakfast ingredients.... honey begins with bee(s), does it not? A few butchered lollipop sticks later and a wagon load with a difference! 

* take your pick... 

I believe you'll find that there's a completely different connotation for that phrase in common usage.   What it describes is anything but sweet .....

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

And there are some who say that the NHS isn't broken.

Unfortunately in many areas I think it's more than broken!

Alan

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Dave, I think a word with your GP is in order.  Only relevant questions should be asked - and I can only think of three: "age", "last PSA test", "problems with the plumbing?"

Family history is a good one. 

One reason I have PSA included in my annual blood test for all sorts of other possibly hereditary and lifestyle associated nasties. 

Only problem is that PSA is not necessarily a reliable indicator.

Good, but not perfect 

I find it rather incredible that there is no national screening program for prostate cancer. 

Women have it far better in terms of cancer screening programs. 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

As a completely unbiased observer may I point out that if all the TNM'rs turn up the  balcony may be in danger of collapsing.

Perhaps some sort of rotation should be arranged so to avoid lurid headlines of - Hippo crushed my train set or worse Old fogies accused of causing panic at Toy Fayre.

Not to worry, I will not be attending this time!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

IMG_20240913_000915.jpg.86d26b28eb7b4fff9c28fc4ea89f4b6d.jpg

These are HO , they were also available in 0 and maybe S. I would love to find about fifty pair in 0 to re-equip all of my passenger cars and have a bunch ready for any future acquisitions.

You have done a better job on The Piker than I did.  I'll excuse myself by claiming that I did it over 60 years ago.   I'm currently running into snags with The Oscar.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Ah yes, 'liberation'... It's interesting and sometimes an eye-opener to see what's available/new and whether I try it there and then or (ahem) 'take a sample for later scientific research', I try more things that way than I ever would if I had to shell out for a full sized jar of [whatever]. 

There is of course a fringe benefit... SM32 wagon loads.... 

honeywagon.jpg.881a402619fa91498915dd4decb165a0.jpg

In this case, a honey wagon. Provoked by a photo competition where the theme is 'something beginning with B', I exercised some lateral thinking/natural insanity* and recalling Blackadder and Baldrick's chat about I Spy and breakfast ingredients.... honey begins with bee(s), does it not? A few butchered lollipop sticks later and a wagon load with a difference! 

* take your pick... 

My reaction is that if I were asked to "spot the Honey Wagon" I wouldn't be looking for that.....

9 hours ago, PupCam said:

I believe you'll find that there's a completely different connotation for that phrase in common usage.   What it describes is anything but sweet .....

Alan

Nail! Head!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PupCam said:

True. But in this burrow we call 'those' tankers something else. I'll leave it to someone else to model them.... 

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

My reaction is that if I were asked to "spot the Honey Wagon" I wouldn't be looking for that.....

Nail! Head!  

Ah ha! My cunning plan worked perfectly. 

Double entendres and slang aside, I will have a go at building some tank wagons - but I prefer set honey to runny honey, so loading a tanker with set honey - and then unloading it - could be 'a bit' tricky. And even in narrow gauge, a whole tankerful of honey? Sources suggest an average colony produces 20-60 lb of honey a year (https://www.bbka.org.uk/FAQs/honey-faqs) - so how many bees/colonies would it take to fill a tanker? I have other plans for the morning, so will settle for the non-mathematical answer of 'lots'... 😉

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Bear. BEAR!

One of my well placed contacts has just informed me that the new government has decided to abolish cake in an attempt to make the nation more  healthy.

This means that our strategic cake reserves are going to rocket in value, as shops stop stocking cakes on their shelves.

We are going to become very, very, rich!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Double entendres and slang aside, I will have a go at building some tank wagons - but I prefer set honey to runny honey, so loading a tanker with set honey - and then unloading it - could be 'a bit' tricky. And even in narrow gauge, a whole tankerful of honey? Sources suggest an average colony produces 20-60 lb of honey a year (https://www.bbka.org.uk/FAQs/honey-faqs) - so how many bees/colonies would it take to fill a tanker? I have other plans for the morning, so will settle for the non-mathematical answer of 'lots'... 😉

Tank cars are funny things. Once unloaded, they really need cleaning at once - vide the images of chaps in special suits climbing into milk tankers at Vauxhall. I recall a tale of a tank-car of wine - possibly something like Martini, which is quite a rich brew - being unloaded at Eastleigh, but not being purged. When it arrived back in Italy in disgusting order, there was hell to pay....

Mind you, things happened at Eastleigh. Again anecdotally, a van had been unloaded, but the straw packing was still inside, and the junior shunter was told to go and burn the straw. So he did - chucked a match in and walked away. "Dear Sir, I regret to report that wagon number XXXXXX was this day destroyed by fire....". 

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Or go down for possession of contraband Class C(ake) for supply - no one will believe claims "that it was all for personal use, Gov".

Anyone wanting to volunteer for the Media interview "they were such nice, polite wild animals - we never dreamed they'd be doing this sort of thing in our neighbourhood".

Only problem - are we who follow this forum now accessories? Will I be extradited?

• Like 6
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, enz said:

Or go down for possession of contraband Class C(ake) for supply - no one will believe claims "that it was all for personal use, Gov".

Anyone wanting to volunteer for the Media interview "they were such nice, polite wild animals - we never dreamed they'd be doing this sort of thing in our neighbourhood".

Only problem - are we who follow this forum now accessories? Will I be extradited?

We should be ok, so long as we don't openly solicit "cake" supplies after it becomes illegal to buy or possess.

would there be a reward for dobbing nefarious cake suppliers in?

Just wondering...

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

One of my well placed contacts has just informed me that the new government has decided to abolish cake in an attempt to make the nation more  healthy.

Although I suspect, with sorrow, that this merely means you have been reading the right-wing media, would not a more credible rumour be that all ultra-processed foods (including cake and any ultra-processed ingredients) are going to be declared non-foods, and attract 200% VAT? In a deal with the fast-food industry that means they can still advertise before 9 pm?

• Like 5
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, DenysW said:

Although I suspect, with sorrow, that this merely means you have been reading the right-wing media, would not a more credible rumour be that all ultra-processed foods (including cake and any ultra-processed ingredients) are going to be declared non-foods, and attract 200% VAT? In a deal with the fast-food industry that means they can still advertise before 9 pm?

The fast-fooders will be able to show their outlets, but not show glistening burgers with greasy fake cheese dripping down the sides. Even if there are a few token lettuce leaves visible...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, SM42 said:

SM42 Towers is on standby for the arrival of visitors 

A house full of wimmen, all needing subtitles is going to be hard work. 

Apparently I'm duty fire raiser and BBQ chef this evening 

Andy

It only takes three wimmen to be a houseful ask me how I know...

• Agree 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

This means that our strategic cake reserves are going to rocket in value, as shops stop stocking cakes on their shelves.

I have just put my LDC recipe on the dark web and have received encouraging responses from an Italian gentleman named Don.

Dave 

• Like 4
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Re tank wagons, when I was a nipper at primary school there was often a tanker parked nearby that held molasses, presumably something to do with the sugar refining industry in Liverpool. We would sometimes nip over the fence and gather some of the molasses that was dripping from the tap at the back - luvverly it were.

Dave

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have just put my LDC recipe on the dark web and have received encouraging responses from an Italian gentleman named Don.

Dave 

In his best Corleone voice;

He made you an offer that you couldn’t refuse?

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

I think I'm becoming obsessed with digging holes.

I dug another this morning, about a cubic metre of clay came out.  This is for a soakaway 

Another one is planned tomorrow.  This time for the sump of a small water feature which has been moved from another part of the garden.

The class 25 and the 74xx  still sit on the dining table awaiting the fitment of their sound decoders.

Only an hour left before kick off, with the England ladies turning out at T'ham to play the Silver Ferns.

This will be an enjoyable match to watch as I don't have a vested interest in either team.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Re tank wagons, when I was a nipper at primary school there was often a tanker parked nearby that held molasses, presumably something to do with the sugar refining industry in Liverpool.

Hence The Toffeemen. But you would have supported the Reds not the Blues?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Re tank wagons, when I was a nipper at primary school there was often a tanker parked nearby that held molasses, presumably something to do with the sugar refining industry in Liverpool. We would sometimes nip over the fence and gather some of the molasses that was dripping from the tap at the back - luvverly it were.

Dave

I wouldn't be too keen on licking my finger after running it around the tap at the back of a Molasse

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Bear. BEAR!

😱

But how will we re-stock??

(This is where a certain ER'er mentions those dreaded words "Home B*king......)**

**But will the stuff that goes into creating our beloved goodies be outlawed as well?  This is serious.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

One of the nominally maroon-liveried United Molasses tankers?

• Like 5