Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Lays crisps = walkers both owned by Pepsi.

Cabbage and apple is something my family have cooked in the past but I've not bothered to make it myself.

Cabbage chestnuts and bacon is something I do cook at the right time of year.

Often throw shredded cabbage into  a stew...

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

It's also a salutary reminder of how low you can go in the pursuit of cheap UPF culinary thrills (although I suspect The Bear has yet to hit bottom).

Not hardly - but I’m working on it…..

Edited by polybear
  • Like 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The idea of eating finely-chopped cold cabbage may sound repulsive at first, but put it in a well-made creamy, seasoned dressing and add it to a good salad or some types of sandwich and it can be delicious. 

Coleslaw!

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/08/2024 at 23:27, Mike Bellamy said:

Two years ago we walked up to the top of Seven Sisters from the Birling Gap and were surprised to hear the distinctive sound of a Chinook helicopter which was flying East parallel to the  coast. As it approached we also saw a light aircraft flying alongside and we realised they must be filming. They flew past us and then circled around inland to repeat the exercise several times - and then they were joined by the display Typhoon with the Union Flag painted on the wings. All three then continued to circle around many times but every few circuits the jet, which had been going very slowly and flying nose up, shot off very high presumably to cool the engine before re-joining the formation. Perhaps @Dave Hunt could comment?

A few weeks later, Google search found this page on RAF News - somewhere on those cliffs in the far distance you will see me and Mrs B along with many other spectators !!

https://raf.mod.uk/news/articles/raf-typhoon-and-chinook-train-over-white-cliffs/

It wouldn't have been anything to do with engine cooling; jet engines don't have the same cooling requirements as piston engines. More likely it was simply for the pilot to have a break from flying at very low speed, which can be quite demanding in a high performance aircraft.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Teacher arrogance/ignorance, or human failings if you want to be kind. Like the primary school teacher who told me my depiction of the Boat Race with each rower having one oar was obviously wrong - they each had two. His headmistress, reading Tom Sawyer to us, was asked what hookey is? "Some sort of American game." And the history teacher, when I was about 13, who was trying to get me to talk about some aspect of a C of E service - my family were atheists, so I had no idea. Mind you, when, a couple of years later, the RI teacher engaged in debate about religion, I was happy to join in - I knew what I didn't believe. It was 40 years later that I discovered that this man, married with children, had given Sherry a passionate embrace and kiss when she was a 6th-former. 

I detested almost every day at Secondary school but of the teachers: 

• At least half were good because they taught you things that weren't on the curriculum, if they helped you understand the things that were;
  • Most of the rest were unable to teach beyond the curriculum because they didn't really understand how to communicate their subject, only what they were given to teach;
  • One woodwork teacher would now be disqualified from teaching for his habit of bullying children, assuming someone hadn't already beaten him to death with a length of two by four.
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Cabbage and apple is something my family have cooked in the past but I've not bothered to make it myself.

Cabbage chestnuts and bacon is something I do cook at the right time of year.

Often throw shredded cabbage into  a stew...

I never used to like "traditionally prepared" cabbage, but I was converted to a modest amount of cabbage consumption via the cabbage and chestnut route.  Next time, I'll chuck some bacon lardons in too!

We're coming up to proper slow cooker season, it's the first day of metrological autumn tomorrow (1st September), so I'll have half a shredded cabbage, chestnuts, etc and the other half in the slow cooker with whatever I'm slow cooking!

The equinox is on the 22nd, its been downhill since the summer solstice, once past the 22nd, its a steepening downhill plunge to the winter solstice and the shortest day...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The equinox is on the 22nd, its been downhill since the summer solstice, once past the 22nd, its a steepening downhill plunge to the winter solstice and the shortest day...

Actually the rate of change slows down from 22nd September.  Whilst daylight hours continue to decrease, it is at a slower rate.  Bill

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

We went to Kincardine today (2 hour trip) to see the Gathering of the Bands.  I read it as "the Saturday before Labour Day"; turns out it's "The Saturday before Labour Day Weekend".     😢

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Sellers and Yateman famously defined history as consisting of "All the Things You Can Remember, including Two Genuine Dates" along with an assortment of Good Things and Bad Things. 

Can't find my copy tonight, but wasn't it Good Kings and Bad Kings?

• Like 8

7 hours ago, TheQ said:

I think the best crisps are Kettle Brand and living in the potato state of Idaho I do know my spuds 😁

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sadly nine deaths and a lot more in hospital from a listeria outbreak linked to Boar's Head brand delicatessen meats. It seems the conditions at the plant were quite appalling.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

I think the best crisps are Kettle Brand and living in the potato state of Idaho I do know my spuds 😁

The UK manufacturing base for kettle crisps is in Norwich about 25 miles from here.

There are fields of potatoes around this area most years.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The UK manufacturing base for kettle crisps is in Norwich about 25 miles from here.

There are fields of potatoes around this area most years.

I think you can actually track the farm that supplied the spuds from information on the bag.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

The Zulu War.  Cause of war Zulus, Zulus exterminated. End of war is the bit that I can remember. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Both - "1066 and All That: A Memorable History of England, Comprising All the Parts You Can Remember, Including 103 Good Things, 5 Bad Kings and 2 Genuine Date"

I find no reference to Zulus 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

After recently having been maxed out with mountains of trivia, compounded with problems involving family and friends (hence little attendance in TNM), I'm finally taking some time for self. Tomorrow we are going to see a friend who is a major figure at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway and to have a look at some recent developments there then on Tuesday we carry on into the Lake District to stay with an ex-schoolfriend for a few days. Then, the day after we get back I'm going together with a pal to the Gauge O Guild show at Stafford, With any luck there may be more recharge of my batteries than recently discharge has taken out.

Note for HH - will you be at Stafford on the Saturday?

Dave

Since I will have spent Fri-Sun at Welshpool, and a fair bit of tomorrow morning getting things tidied away, another model railway jolly in the near future would be diplomatically unwise.  From a cash point of view, did you know you can be a member of both the Scale 7 Society and the 7 mm Society and still get change from the annual membership fee charged by the G0G?

Still, neither of the former have the need to use their funds to purchase a van! 

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

No, all Bad Kings.  Anything from Swindon (other than the M&SWJnR) is BAD.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Maybe. But I have retained "Paddle your own Canute" as a maxim. 

Or in French

Pas de quelle yeux en que nous. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4