Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Winslow Boy said:

I don't won't to worry PB or anything but I read yesterday that the numbers of the UK's biggest spider are increasing.

Not wanting to upset him I've refrained from posting a piccie but I think he's going to need a bigger pair of boots aka the anti spider resolution device or ASRD for short.

Big Boots?  Check....

Fly Spray?  Check.....

Wire Brush?  Check.....

Mickey the Miele?  Check.....

Scary Monster Mesh for open windows?  Check.....

Blow Torch?  Check.....

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Big Boots?  Check....

Fly Spray?  Check.....

Wire Brush?  Check.....

Blow Torch?  Check.....

I think Bear might need to do an upgrade to include the following;

Lump hammer;

Sledgehammer; and finally a

Flame thrower.

As I said it's awfully large.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, SM42 said:

Our resident spider, Fred, has been out to greet our guests. 

How nice of him 

Andy

2 hours ago, polybear said:

"Resident Spider"??

With a name??

Now that is weird - with or without a name.....

Only one spider? the average British home has about 200, including Bear Towers.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Only one spider? the average British home has about 200, including Bear Towers.

Most are tiny, but the memorable ones are large and get called Fred...

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

A spider landed on my head this morning.  Carefully put on the window ledge.  

In other news, tomato sandwich for breakfast, I've run out of lettuce.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

A large spider lives by the door to the chicken run. Young Emily asked me to unfasten the latch at that end then watched fascinated as he/she scuttled round the Web. She also started dissecting owl pellets this holiday, Her mums had to dissuade her from taking one home for school. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Big Boots?  Check....

Fly Spray?  Check.....

Wire Brush?  Check.....

Blow Torch?  Check.....

"They are more scared of you than you are of them..." 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I think Bear might need to do an upgrade to include the following;

Lump hammer;

Sledgehammer; and finally a

Flame thrower.

As I said it's awfully large.

Bear prefers to show a degree of finesse with his violence….

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Most are tiny, but the memorable ones are large and get called Fred...

Other names are available….

36 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

"They are more scared of you than you are of them..." 

They’re pretty good at hiding that fact….

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Speaking (typing??) of Telford, it appears that I have a connection to Telford, albeit a very tiny connection.

Last year I bought an O scale water tank tower as the style fascinated me; so different from the usual round ones used here. Anyway, I stumbled across the package a couple of weeks ago (Yes, I know, another to-be-built kit!) and noticed that the maker (LCUT Creative) is located in Telford. Well, I did say tiny!!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I have a connection to Telford,

I noticed our large garden waste wheelie bin was from Telford too.  I suppose reading wheelie bin lids is a sign of not having enough to do   

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Speaking (typing??) of Telford, it appears that I have a connection to Telford, albeit a very tiny connection.

Last year I bought an O scale water tank tower as the style fascinated me; so different from the usual round ones used here. Anyway, I stumbled across the package a couple of weeks ago (Yes, I know, another to-be-built kit!) and noticed that the maker (LCUT Creative) is located in Telford. Well, I did say tiny!!

My 'O scale' Water Tower was made in Binns Road, Liverpool...  😄

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’ve never understood why some people get so violently Arachnophobic or why people are Ophidiophobic.

I don’t mind handling snakes, although I don’t have either of the experience or the training to handle venomous snakes (I’d rather handle a snake than a toad or a frog), but I do not handle spiders of any size; preferring to humanely trap them and put them in a place of safety.

Having said that, I did have a very interesting experience of feeding a large spider at the London Zoo. I was chatting to one of the Zookeepers in the (I forgot what it’s properly called) “spider house” who had a jar of live, but very torpid, bluebottles (they may have been kept in a fridge or freezer to keep them semi comatose [?]) Anyway, to make a long story short, he asked me if I would like to feed one of the spiders – pointing to a large web, not too far from my head.

Upon the affirmative, he put a bluebottle in the jaws of a very long pair of tweezers and told me to gently touch the web with the blue bottle. This I did and the bluebottle promptly stuck to the silken threads of the web, at which point a very large spider comes shuttling out of a hole and promptly grabs the bluebottle and quickly wraps it in spider silk. Presumably injecting the insect with a venom or toxin as it did so as you could visibly see the injected venom/toxic killing the bluebottle as its struggles became increasingly, and rapidly, weaker and weaker until they stopped.

I assume that the spider returns later to suck out all the nutrients from the body of the bluebottle, once the spider venom/toxin had done its work of liquefying the insect’s interior. 

Absolutely fascinating and an experience that has encouraged me to continue to treat spiders with respect.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I noticed our large garden waste wheelie bin was from Telford too.  I suppose reading wheelie bin lids is a sign of not having enough to do   

Why don't you count your spiders. There's supposed to two hundred of them in your abode.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I’ve never understood why some people get so violently Arachnophobic ............

I assume that the spider returns later to suck out all the nutrients from the body of the bluebottle, once the spider venom/toxin had done its work of liquefying the insect’s interior. 

Perhaps that could be the reason perhaps?

Bear is quite partial for my interior to remain in a solid state.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear prefers to show a degree of finesse with his violence….

Other names are available….

They’re pretty good at hiding that fact….

Oh I am surprised at that statement as Bear always struck me as a shoot first, ask questions later type of Bear.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I think LCut relocated from Bridgnorth to Telford either last year or the year previously.

Jakob is a very approachable guy, and as well as his own stuff, does laser cutting for others.

Is this the water tank you have?

PNScenery1.jpg.f2e657dc38ab7d8e4820b0179589fd26.jpg

My version still needs an inspection panel and surrounding planking on the roof as well as an access ladder.

The water crane was supposed to go between the colliery line and the tank, but we forgot it and grassed over that bit of the baseboard.

Another job on the back burner🤣.

• Like 13
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Why don't you count your spiders. There's supposed to two hundred of them in your abode.

I think they come out and patrol the house after I go to sleep. The overnight spider webs are quite prolific. And I think there may be some non web spinning spiders too.

There was a huge one in the glass recycling crate last week. It wasn’t worth putting the crate out for a few jars and a bottle so big spider could remain resident.  I don’t mind spiders at all.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

20240823_182947_resized.jpeg.9b468f81ce0755dd1de42ad54e7d5cb9.jpegI don’t have an O scale water tower. I never got round to making one for my former ON30 layout but there is one on my 009 model.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps that could be the reason perhaps?

Bear is quite partial for my interior to remain in a solid state.....

I sincerely hope that PB's innards are not solid, various life supporting liquids circulate around them that can cause rather severe problems if they turn solid.  Constipation is the least of them. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think LCut relocated from Bridgnorth to Telford either last year or the year previously.

Jakob is a very approachable guy, and as well as his own stuff, does laser cutting for others.

Is this the water tank you have? ...snip...

As far as I can tell, yes. My order was November last year. At some point (if and when it ever gets assembled), the tank will be painted a rusty jade-green color.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information
  • Like 8