Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Air conditioning is addictive. I find ceiling fans fine most of the time unless it's a very hot day. We run them at night to cool the bedrooms before going to bed, once cooled down the ceiling fans are fine. 

We came to hate air conditioning. If the A/C konks out in Arizona you are in a motel PDQ. Fortunately we don't need it here. It can get pretty toasty in the afternoon but it cools down quickly in the evening.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have an interesting conversation  with the helpless of a high St retailer who deals with bike and car accessories 

" Can I have your email  address for GDPR?'

" Odd.  No you cannot  because of GDPR."

Alll I wanted  was to call my local store to save me a trip over to ask a question. 

They tried for me, to ask the question that is,  ( how odd) but couldn't get through. ( you'll need to hold for more than 30 seconds) 

I drove over in the end. 

Question asked, acceptable answer received, services engaged and a repaired bike ridden home today. 

The whole personal visit took less time than the call. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I have an interesting conversation  with the helpless of a high St retailer who deals with bike and car accessories

" Odd.  No you cannot  because of GDPR." ...snip...

Andy

And what is gdpr?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SM42 said:

" Odd.  No you cannot  because of GDPR."

Alll I wanted  was to call my local store to save me a trip over to ask a question. 

They tried for me, to ask the question that is,  ( how odd) but couldn't get through. ( you'll need to hold for more than 30 seconds) 

I drove over in the end. 

Question asked, acceptable answer received, services engaged and a repaired bike ridden home today. 

The whole personal visit took less time than the call. 

Andy

That is the idea. Make it as awkward as they can in order to stop you from stopping them from doing some "proper work" - I'll leave that bit up to you to decide what "proper work" might be.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I think the National Trust would take umbrage if you tried to dine on one of their deer.....

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/cheshire-greater-manchester/dunham-massey

The ldeer was lounging just to the left of the central stone feature.

But they were brought to Britain for so affluent types could have their venison.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I do this with my freezers:

Fill plastic water bottle halfway with water.  Freeze it in standing position.  Leave it in freezer on its side.

Check, if suspicious, to see if the ice has melted and refrozen in new position.

I used this in our motorhome when travelling with power off.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

My kids won't believe she was racist, I shouldn't laugh about it as it could be misconstrued but those familiar with the Islamic world might know many Muslims have a thing about dogs and can treat them very badly, throw stones at them to drive them off etc. 

I believe Muslims have an aversion to cats as well

• Friendly/supportive 2

CN and CPKC in Canada are shut down as of Thursday. CN have locked out their unions as of about half an hour ago (Midnight EST). (It’s just been announced that CPKC have locked out their unions too.) The railways have been refusing some offered traffic for the last couple of days, and some shippers have stopped offering traffic. This is the first time both major Canadian railways have been shut down at the same time.

The US lines of both railways will continue to operate, but nothing will be crossing the Canada/USA border in either direction.

While this overwhelmingly affects freight, there are commuter operations that use  CN or CPKC tracks. They will also be shut down - in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, polybear said:

I believe Muslims have an aversion to cats as well

A quick bit of goggling demonstrates that your belief is unfounded. Rather the reverse: cats are considered to be ritually pure and indeed the Prophet Muhammad is traditionally believed to have had a favourite cat called Muezza. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

the Prophet Muhammad is traditionally believed to have had a favourite cat called Muezza. 

And the chap who calls the faithful to prayer is a muezzin, so perhaps she was particularly articulate.

As it happens my 2-y-o tabby re-appeared last night, after 12 days unexplained absence. As the fields around us have all been harvested, I suppose he's had to go further to find vermin to chase, but all the same. His injections are due in the next few days, so he'll be so pleased to be in time for those!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Hroth said:

I think the National Trust would take umbrage if you tried to dine on one of their deer.....

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/cheshire-greater-manchester/dunham-massey

The ldeer was lounging just to the left of the central stone feature.

Like all deer herds, they have to be 'managed' (culled) on a regular basis to ensure they remain fit and healthy.

Almost invariably, this is carried out with a rifle, but the type of deer will affect the calibre and type of ammunition used, as will where you intend to place your shot.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

A quick bit of goggling demonstrates that your belief is unfounded. Rather the reverse: cats are considered to be ritually pure and indeed the Prophet Muhammad is traditionally believed to have had a favourite cat called Muezza. 

My understanding was based on info from a (white UK) friend who lived and worked in Malaysia; his wife was Malaysian (and I’m pretty sure Muslim) - the idea of a cat as a pet horrified her (based on teachings/upbringing) - but soon came round to the idea once they’d got one.

She rapidly learned than many things she been tought weren’t quite what they seemed after all.

Bear

(who has a very, very good buddy who is Muslim)

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Like all deer herds, they have to be 'managed' (culled) on a regular basis to ensure they remain fit and healthy.

Almost invariably, this is carried out with a rifle, but the type of deer will affect the calibre and type of ammunition used, as will where you intend to place your shot.

I recently read that in one of the North Eastern states activists managed to stop the culling of deer herds. Now it seems that in that state, suburban gardens, farmers’ fields and elsewhere are facing an onslaught of starving and diseased deer that are causing significant disruption and damage.

A clean kill is a quick end and much more humane than letting the poor beasts die slowly of starvation and disease (of course, nature intended that apex predators would do the job of keeping herds “under control”, but humans got rid of those…)

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, polybear said:

My understanding was based on info from a (white UK) friend who lived and worked in Malaysia; his wife was Malaysian (and I’m pretty sure Muslim) - the idea of a cat as a pet horrified her (based on teachings/upbringing) - but soon came round to the idea once they’d got one.

She rapidly learned than many things she been tought weren’t quite what they seemed .

Which might suggest aversion to cats is an aspect of Malaysian culture rather than Islam? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I recently read that in one of the North Eastern states activists managed to stop the culling of deer herds. Now it seems that in that state, suburban gardens, farmers’ fields and elsewhere are facing an onslaught of starving and diseased deer that are causing significant disruption and damage.

A clean kill is a quick end and much more humane than letting the poor beasts die slowly of starvation and disease (of course, nature intended that apex predators would do the job of keeping herds “under control”, but humans got rid of those…)

In the Ultimately Shoot Anything, target acquisition is so poor in the hunting community, that one needs to wear bright orange when out in the woods to avoid getting shot.

I am led to believe that this also why the train crews in certain areas wear bright orange bump caps over and above their hi viz tabards.

Interestingly, it appears that these tabards can be either orange or yellow.  In the UK, anyone who goes trackside on the national rail network must wear orange, as yellow is a colour used in signalling.  One would have thought that being trackside in a yellow jacket would be an advantage as it does highlight that the driver might like to exercise some caution🤣.  However, I assume that orange does show up better than yellow in certain light conditions.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

In the Ultimately Shoot Anything, target acquisition is so poor in the hunting community, that one needs to wear bright orange when out in the woods to avoid getting shot.

It doesn’t always work. One year, after the first day of deer-hunting season in Ontario, a local newspaper had an article titled “Hunters 1, Deer 2”.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10