Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The cemetery here is well sited - it’s the dead centre of town.

Hat, coat……..

Dave

So is ours. It is also located in a 90 degree bend in the High Road and is imaginatively known as Cemetery Corner.  

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

So is ours. It is also located in a 90 degree bend in the High Road and is imaginatively known as Cemetery Corner.  

Just think.

It could have been Dead Mans Bend!

(Though according to the news this morning, there are roads in the Peak District that could have Dead Mens Bends...)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Just think.

It could have been Dead Mans Bend!

(Though according to the news this morning, there are roads in the Peak District that could have Dead Mens Bends...)

The railings and turn chevrons  have been damaged a few times by drivers  not realising there is a corner at the cemetery. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

I see that the list of the Edinburgh Fringe 2024 "funniest jokes" has been released

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8erpgy727jo

Ho hum.....

"8. I wanted to know which came first the chicken or the egg so I bought a chicken and then I bought an egg and I think I've cracked it. - Masai Graham"

Totally wrong, the frying pan came first. Those other two were created just to fill said pan!!

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Once you reach the cemetery there is no turning back!

Little do you know.

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to my previous statement.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Only one 'n' in know
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I was most disconcerted to learn that, due to the medical school curriculum, becoming “updated, modernised, decolonised, and made inclusive“, they are no longer teaching medical students about the following conditions, which, even at the best of time even despite their ubiquitousness are rarely discussed…

They include:

• Female Selective Hearing Syndrome
  • X-Chromosome Linked Glossolalia
  • Pre-menopausal Paint Solvent Addiction*
  • Obsessive Cleaning Disorder by Proxy**

Of course, males also have their rather odd conditions as well. One of the most common is

• Y-Chromosome Linked Delusions of Sapience***

* something SM42 knows about

** “by proxy” means someone else - usually a partner or husband - is made to do the actual cleaning.

*** where the males believes he knows everything about some topic or another, but in fact knows almost nothing…

You've forgotten Male Selective Deafness which I have been assured that I suffer from. 

7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The cemetery here is well sited - it’s the dead centre of town.

Hat, coat……..

Dave

That needs a Groan

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I understand we all do in the end!

Just make sure they take your car keys out of your pocket u like what happened with the last @Mike Storey.  His widow could see the grave from her lou ge window but couldn't get into the car.

Jamie

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I bought  a model loco today. Not narrow gauge, not ex LMS, not GWR. Just because I liked the look of it. It can pull a seaside special or similar on my OO layout!
It gave me an excuse to visit a model railway shop that opened a couple of years ago I think. I expect @PhilJ W would know. According to my satnav it was only 10 minutes drive away so off I went. No problem finding the garden centre (slightly more than 10 minutes) it was located in but getting through the garden centre to the assorted craft shops was a bit of a maze. 
On my way home I noted I had to leave and head north for a while to cross a dual carriageway to return home. As I thought I knew where to do this, I decided to insert the GPS map  update card as it requires the engine running. Well, I found out my knowledge  of the area north of Rayleigh is way out of date and found a new housing development. I parked somewhere safe and walked to a road sign and consulted Google maps. I was soon on my way and the car map finished updating as I arrived home. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I bought  a model loco today. Not narrow gauge, not ex LMS, not GWR. Just because I liked the look of it. It can pull a seaside special or similar on my OO layout! 

C'mon Tony, don't be shy....

What loco is it?

I opened a large old biscuit tin the other day and found an ex Lima 4F loco which someone had started to super detail.

New buffers and other white metal parts.

A decent brass chassis and Slater's wheels.

It's a project just waiting to happen.

Since I'm also in possession of a similar model that Gordon wants me to dispose of and also his Midland 3F.  Add that to my Heljan Class25/1 and I have the basis of a simple BR(M) layout.

The other oddity is the ex Sheepbloke B4 0-4-0T.  I have it because I really like it, and somehow I will find a place for it to work.

Now about that Stanier 2-6-4T.....

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

What loco is it?

I opened a large old biscuit tin the other day and found an ex Lima 4F loco which someone had started to super detail.

Since I'm also in possession of a similar model that Gordon wants me to dispose of and also his Midland 3F.  Add that to my Heljan Class25/1 and I have the basis of a simple BR(M) layout.

The other oddity is the ex Sheepbloke B4 0-4-0T.  I have it because I really like it, and somehow I will find a place for it to work.

Does it need to be Stanier?  I have a David Andrews "Limousine" that was started and abandoned.  The project it was planned for died.  Nothing wrong with the loco.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

What loco is it?

So all this pannier admiration stuff was really just a cover?

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

What loco is it?

Early black BR livery, “British Railways” on tender, streamlined former LNER B17 , City of London. Made by Hornby. 

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Early black BR livery, “British Railways” on tender, streamlined former LNER B17 , City of London. Made by Hornby. 

At least it's not the flying money pit. 😄

• Agree 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, AndyID said:

At least it's not the flying money pit. 😄

I have a BR Express Blue model of that. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Just make sure they take your car keys out of your pocket u like what happened with the last @Mike Storey.  His widow could see the grave from her lou ge window but couldn't get into the car.

Poor Mike. I'm fairly certain the last time I saw him was at a meeting in the former LNER Boardroom at KX, days before I retired in 2004. Sherry wouldn't want to drive my car - the steering wheel is on the wrong side and it's manual!

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

My roofers certainly got their finger out today. By midday all the tiles were off, and the decent ones saved for re-use. By 2 they had the new bituminous membrane on, and by the time they left at 4 there were quite a few battens in place and a fair number of tiles replaced at one end. Tomorrow should see them finished, to my amazement. It will be drizzly at times, but that doesn't matter a lot. 

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

What loco is it?

I know them as a 3.5 F but they can be quite good. I have several, albreathedcon by Ray Clasper.  Two even have batteries in the tender in case the electrics fail on the layout. 

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I've been fettling locos in odd moments over the last few days

20240817_104407.jpg.e43ccfb6523cc2cd89279bc1248be99e.jpg

One if the 3.5F's is in the background behind the 2F.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Private Eye once published the photo of the direction sign to the Crematorium, in Charcoal Road.....

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It gave me an excuse to visit a model railway shop that opened a couple of years ago I think. I expect @PhilJ W would know. According to my satnav it was only 10 minutes drive away so off I went. No problem finding the garden centre (slightly more than 10 minutes) it was located in but getting through the garden centre to the assorted craft shops was a bit of a maze. 
On my way home I noted I had to leave and head north for a while to cross a dual carriageway to return home. As I thought I knew where to do this, I decided to insert the GPS map  update card as it requires the engine running. Well, I found out my knowledge  of the area north of Rayleigh is way out of date and found a new housing development. I parked somewhere safe and walked to a road sign and consulted Google maps. I was soon on my way and the car map finished updating as I arrived home. 

It only opened in the last year. I haven't visited it yet, something for the to do list.

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Apparently the only R-T-R coaches that are appropriate to run with that loco come with the Hornby 1948 Olympic set. All of a sudden those sets which you couldn't even give away are fetching £££££.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1