Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Never mind sheds or cars we need to be concentrating on Limp Pigs.

Let's hope the organisational errors that bedevilled the RWC (which I reported on at the time) last year are not repeated.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

My car is a Nissan Note. Apparently it is built on a Renault Clio floorpan and was built in Sunderland. It was 16 years old when I bought it but with a low mileage for it's age. I'm quite happy with it but it was registered by the dealer and spent it's first 15 months as a demonstrator and was fitted with every available extra, I'm still finding out what some of the button's are for.

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

On 25/07/2024 at 08:28, iL Dottore said:

I’ve always wondered about the wisdom of being deliberately ambiguous about the identity of criminal suspects when they are being sought by the police who turn to the public for assistance. If you were to say that the suspect is a middle-aged male, that’s hardly descriptive enough for the general public – or the police for that matter – to keep an eye out for the miscreant.

But if you were to say that the suspect is a middle-aged male white bear with pizza and baked bean stains on his fur, then it is very clear who the authorities are looking for (sorry PB for using you as an example). 

Why it is “discriminatory” to properly identify all the characteristics of a criminal is beyond me. If, returning to my example above, all criminals were identified by their animal ethnicity and we found out that polar bears were over represented in the criminal population; then that should be a wake up call to the authorities (and to society as a whole) that there is something amiss with the polar bear community. 

Ask the Swedes, or the Germans; they have long since pursued a policy of not gathering or collating information of that nature, because they don't wish to deal with the resulting statistics 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, so that's what the Minions were saying!

That bit was brilliant!  I feel really sorry for the French that the weather should have turned so biblical on Paris' special night.  But a brilliant idea to have the parade along the Seine rather than into the stadium, so about four times as many people could see it (through the deluge).  I just hope for the sake of the group responsible for the attacks on the TGV network, that when they're found by the French authorities, they aren't at the top of any stairs......

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Is the Olympic parade over yet? I left the room to escape the relentless ideological mumbo-jumbo and prancing about .... 

They're doing the speeches now...

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Good lord  it's after 11pm

The pubs will be shut before they finish. 

Have they no thought for the audience?

Andy

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I've given up and gone to bed. When Batman appeared through a trapdoor with the Torch and the lasers started, that was the last straw...

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

We watched the end of High Country on I player instead.  Some TGV's were seen this afternoon but not as many as usual. 

Jamie 

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9

Well, I watched as much of the Olympic opening ceremony as I could stomach.

I now know why there are such long queues on French beaches with folk desperate to leave..............................

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

Three years ago today, I was here - surely the 'spiritual' home of railway modellers . . . . . . . .  of a certain age.

St Boniface Down.jpg

St Boniface Down-2.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

7 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Three years ago today, I was here - surely the 'spiritual' home of railway modellers . . . . . . . .  of a certain age.

St Boniface Down.jpg

St Boniface Down-2.jpg

That took longer than it should to understand.

That's  if I've understood it correctly of course.

Andy

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Instead of the Olympic opening ceremony I watched 'Secrets of the London Underground'. Or more accurately I watched Siddy Holloway.

Good move.

• Agree 8

5 hours ago, br2975 said:

St Boniface Down.jpg

St Boniface Down-2.jpg

I might still have mine. Cost 24d iirc.

edit. That seems a bit too cheap. Maybe 3/11?

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, br2975 said:

A kit of the church from earlier days?

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, br2975 said:

Well, I watched as much of the Olympic opening ceremony as I could stomach.

That'll just be the opening credits then.....

• Agree 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, br2975 said:

St Boniface Down.jpg

St Boniface Down-2.jpg

The last northbound train to Hawes from Skipton, on an evening g, was known as Boniface. 

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

I've just noticed the reports of the Olympic flag being raised upside down.

How does that even happen? The whole point about the inverted flag being a symbol of distress or surrender is that the fastenings on a flag are one way up and an inverted hoist can only be deliberate. 

• Agree 5
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

How does that even happen? The whole point about the inverted flag being a symbol of distress or surrender is that the fastenings on a flag are one way up and an inverted hoist can only be deliberate. 

That's a bit harsh. Having watched the opening ceremony, the weather conditions were atrocious for all concerned. Those entrusted with attaching and raising the flag were in all likelihood waiting in situ for a considerable length of time, in pouring rain. 

Mistakes happen and no doubt whoever they are will be feeling pretty upset when the error was realised. They knew they were on the world stage and would be scrutinised but they are only human. 

Before adopting the role of the 9 o'clock jury, stop and consider the overall circumstances and try to understand before handing down judgement. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

The South Korean Team were introduced as the DPRK (North Korean) Team.  South Korea are "somewhat p1ssed"** apparently.....

(**Technical, diplomatic terminology)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Successfully avoided all parts of the Olympic soggyness, until the news just now.

Our " Little Red driving machine" © Gwiwer is a 63 plate with less than 30,000 miles, a Peugeot 107, being basically a Toyota it should be reliable. We've yet to try it on a long journey , in September it should do a 400 mile trip twice and a  1000 miles in a fortnight, if it does that successfully it will have a long life with us. If it's no good for that, it will need to be replaced with something a little bigger.

Right time for breakfast and then go sailing for a week, much more important than a little event in French lands.

• Like 12