Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

12 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Well today had taken a turn for the worse. 

On the way home, the car's dashboard lit up with several seemingly unrelated faults and went into limp mode 

I have an emissions system, power steering, traction control and trailer stability assist ( no towbar fitted)  warning lights on. 

Steering is fine still.

I'm hoping it's a simple fix. 

Andy

You can borrow my sledgehammer if it isn't.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

On the way home, the car's dashboard lit up with several seemingly unrelated faults and went into limp mode 

I have an emissions system, power steering, traction control and trailer stability assist ( no towbar fitted)  warning lights on. 

Steering is fine still.

Andy

Turn it off wait 30 seconds and turn it on again. If that doesn't work check battery connections and voltage.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I remember sailing with common rail fuel system diesel engines at sea which had digital engine management systems. From time to time the system would go mad with alarms and operational problems, the standard response was to do an engine stop, pull power to the engine management system, count to ten then power up and restart the engine.

That was OK until a year or two in when instrument wiring insulation started stiffening and cracking leading to 12V DC earth faults causing it to go crazy.

I was much happier with old engines controlled by a camshaft and a Woodward governor.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

A forum thread titled E Tickets reminded me of this.

When Disneyland first opened, the attractions required tickets, which were rated A to E.  I think your admission included an assorted packet and you could buy more.  The higher letters were better rides, and there was an expression in L.A. "A real E-ticket ride".

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

A forum thread titled E Tickets reminded me of this.

When Disneyland first opened, the attractions required tickets, which were rated A to E.  I think your admission included an assorted packet and you could buy more.  The higher letters were better rides, and there was an expression in L.A. "A real E-ticket ride".

I’ve read of “E ticket ride” being applied to the working of Southern Pacific’s San Diegan  when “covered wagons” were the power. Seems appropriate for that part of the world. (There is also an account of one of these trains, with F units as power, being worked up to 102mph, track speed being 90. I have doubts about that, though the writer was an SP engineer.)

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, SM42 said:

Steering is fine still.

Andy

Andy,

It maybe a Sensor failure or a cable connection that’s dislodged.  

Had this on my car once.  However, it was when started after sitting for two days.

A dog had tried to get at an unknown animal, (maybe a kitten), and had chewed through the sensor cable for the drivers side front wheel!  

Paul

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I think your admission included an assorted packet and you could buy more.  The higher letters were better rides, and there was an expression in L.A. "A real E-ticket ride".

I’m pretty au fait with American slang (even much of the patois used by the [frequently] wierdo yoof of today), but that’s definitely a new one for me.

Whilst I think that - too often - many Americans completely torture the English language (can you waterboard a word?) - especially when turning nouns into verbs, they are certainly superb at turning out memorable and pithy (and sometimes not so pithy) turns of phrase. 

Things like:

wrapped too tight

day late and a dollar short

Outstanding (when used as a superlative)

Red eye (any overnight transportation - particularly cheap flights)

Suicide by Cop

and so on

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the sayings I remember from my time in San Diego was, “He’s nine dimes to the dollar,” meaning someone’s thought processes were lacking.

Dave

• Like 8
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SM42 said:

…… the car's dashboard lit up with several seemingly unrelated faults and went into limp mode 

Steering is fine still.

Wasn’t life a lot simpler before cars were digitally ‘improved’ ?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 17

• RMweb Premium

The diagnostic indicated low fuel rail pressure.

Awaiting a tow to the garage who are going to fit it in amongst other jobs. 

It's due to go to the motherland next week. 

Hoping it's something simple like a blocked fuel filter. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Wasn’t life a lot simpler before cars were digitally ‘improved’ ?

Dave

A bit like light aviation when they started introducing FADEC.

I always thought it was dumbing down the skill set required for decent engine management.

Get well soon.

ION.

I bought some books from NHY 581, which increases my collection on Railways in Gloucestershire.

They are of a Midland persuasion, and it needs to be made quite clear at this point, that I am not admitting  or denying anything regarding my affiliation to the GWR/BR(W).

I shall now retire to my garage where I will seek out my air nailer and start erecting more cassette carcasses.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

They are of a Midland persuasion, and it needs to be made quite clear at this point, that I am not admitting  or denying anything regarding my affiliation to the GWR/BR(W).

Well, the two were so thoroughly intertwined in places (e.g. Tramway Junction) that one can't think of one without the other.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

One of the sayings I remember from my time in San Diego was, “He’s nine dimes to the dollar,” meaning someone’s thought processes were lacking.

Dave

There are several British sayings of the same ilk such as 'A sandwich short of a picnic'. I'm sure NM's can think of some others.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There are several British sayings of the same ilk such as 'A sandwich short of a picnic'. I'm sure NM's can think of some others.

A cake, a cake, my hollow for a cake!

Like diarrhea with daps on.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 17/07/2024 at 11:14, Compound2632 said:

Well, the two were so thoroughly intertwined in places (e.g. Tramway Junction) that one can't think of one without the other.

I would have to isolate such modelling urges.

Perhaps a 2 mm scale model of Hucking Fell  on the S&C?

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, SM42 said:

Tow truck arrived. 

Yay

Andy

Does this mean you won't be wanting the sledgehammer or that you will?

Come on make your mind up.

I can't keep hanging on you know. I've got a shed to find- have I mentioned that I don't have a shed.

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I can't keep hanging on you know. I've got a shed to find- have I mentioned that I don't have a shed.

I'll leave it for now thanks. 

Andy

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

You really do need to buckle down and get that shed!

• Agree 13
  • Funny 2

29 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You really do need to buckle down and get that shed!

Sorry what was that. I'm a bit busy at the moment unwrapping a sledge hammer. I don't know you offer to do people a favour and at the last minute they change there minds. Wouldn't have happened in my day of course, but nowadays these youngsters flip and change like a corpse on a giblet.

Now where did I put my Shed Monthly.

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Good afternoon folks,

Several other expressions come to mind for those short on mental faculties, typically:

Not the sharpest tool in the box.

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1