Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

...snip... **Would Sir like Custard on his Baked Beans?  Sure, why not......

Actually I might just try that one - it doesn't sound half bad.

Depends on the custard, I should think.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Wow, page 2000! We have sailed a long voyage on the S. S. Night Mail!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

The original lemon drizzle didn’t have a cream layer . We used to eat this one most weekends about 40 years ago. 

https://www.thejc.com/lets-eat/recipe/recipe-luscious-lemon-cake-toedv16g

Over the years if we make a cake for tea it is more likely to be a plain Madeira or cherry cake. However at the moment we aren’t eating cake at teatime anyway

I would be just the opposite; I absolutely hate tea!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Each one by the look of it!

I don't suppose anyone would believe me if I said that I turned around, and when I looked back, they'd all vanished!

• Agree 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I don't suppose anyone would believe me if I said that I turned around, and when I looked back, they'd all vanished!

Bear knows nuffink about it.......  😇

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

20240706_155050.jpg.45975becea90a72089ecd8ccb133e238.jpg

For some unfathomable reason, I have been put in charge of cake security whilst the party games are being played.

Looks like they've been breeding.....

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Whoops!

Well I did try.....20240706_164002.jpg.e711a5f45ccc2581ecfadb6dd0fa57b3.jpg

26 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

And then they all ran away before they got eaten....

Edited by Hroth
typpyo
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

2000 pages!

Cascade1.jpg.5b3cdc35f79fd00ddf8d2dbca753d7b7.jpg

Hurrah!!!

Edited by Hroth
initially wouldn't accept the pic...
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Removals / additions from food are acceptable I think, if they are separately cooked items, but not if it's a constituent of an assembly cooked together..

Precisely.   No one would consider telling the Chef to add  x or subtract y as a constituent to their normal recipe for, for example, their signature Dormouse and Crayfish Pie that would be completely wrong but a request to omit the side of Acorn Bhaji entirely reasonable.

Many years ago at one of the CMRA exhibitions at St Albans there was a choice of options for the exhibitors lunches.   To give the catering team a clue as to demand I was scooting round to all the exhibitors to tally up the requests for each.    One of the options was lemon chicken and one particular, well known, young (at the time) exhibitor requested the lemon chicken but asked if he could have it without the lemon.    I said I'd see what I could do.   I may have lied ...... 🤣

2 hours ago, polybear said:

**Would Sir like Custard on his Baked Beans?  Sure, why not......

Actually I might just try that one - it doesn't sound half bad.

13 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Depends on the custard, I should think.

As in, if it's present OR not! 🤞

@polybear I've been trying to support your foody perversions but I have to draw the line at custard AND baked beans.    

I'm a true believer in a time and a place for everything and so there is for both custard and good old fashioned (not ponced up)  baked beans  BUT NOT TOGETHER.  

Why only this evening the Puppers enjoyed a dinner of  Disques plats de boeuf served with buttered & minted new potatoes, Haricot beans in a tomato coulis and a tomato & cucumber salsa.    

Seemed alright to us all though at no point did I consider the addition of custard would enhance it  .....

If you want to push the boundaries of food pairing?  Well of course I can heartily recommend the well known (in parts) Stilton and fruit cake where the sum is most definitely greater than the parts however good the Stilton and/or the fruit cake is.

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The original lemon drizzle didn’t have a cream layer . We used to eat this one most weekends about 40 years ago. 

https://www.thejc.com/lets-eat/recipe/recipe-luscious-lemon-cake-toedv16g

Over the years if we make a cake for tea it is more likely to be a plain Madeira or cherry cake. However at the moment we aren’t eating cake at teatime anyway. 

No cream layer of any form in Mrs Puppers often requested LDC.    Just lemon sponge cake with as much  sugary lemon juice injected and drizzled over it as it can take, with the ratio of sugar to lemon juice just so that the solution crystalizes on contact with the air to provide a very slight crunch on the surface.    Ummm, I'm starting to feel peckish.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Mrs NHN and I had 'Cheeky bhaji (onion) and chicken (breast) tikka burger' for lunch at a newish cafe today.  It was sublime.  No custard though, can't have the sugar.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mrs NHN and I had 'Cheeky bhaji (onion) and chicken (breast) tikka burger' for lunch at a newish cafe today.  It was sublime.  No custard though, can't have the sugar.

I am seriously considering coming to the island for (at least part of) next year's TT* so I'd be grateful if you'd share the location.  Of course by next year they might have dropped that burger and replaced it with something (to me) inedible.

*Before one of the big TV networks gets an exclusive coverage deal and ruins it.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, PupCam said:

@polybear I've been trying to support your foody perversions but I have to draw the line at custard AND baked beans.    

Tut, tut, tut. What kind of friend are you, Puppers?

I have been quite vocal about @polybear’s addiction to UPF, but even I have regarded his more misguided culinary combinations as mere eccentricities..

Perversions? Well, really.

9 hours ago, PupCam said:

I'm a true believer in a time and a place for everything and so there is for both custard and good old fashioned (not ponced up)  baked beans 

Not ponced up? 

Not ponced up?

Oh, you mean from a tin with plenty of added flavour enhancers, colours, emulsifiers, emulsifying salts, sweeteners, thickeners, and anti-foaming, bulking, carbonating, foaming, gelling and glazing agents.

Why didn’t you say so?

i loved the quote in this article: (https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/sep/06/ultra-processed-foods-the-19-things-everyone-needs-to-know) which went “Most UPF is not food. It’s an industrially produced edible substance.”

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BR60103 said:

One of the restaurants at Disney World is the '50s Prime Time Cafe.  It's overseen by "Mother".  One person reported that someone didn't eat the peas with their dinner. The peas re-appeared on top of the dessert.

SWMBO is not in good shape. Her back hurts which seems to be something strained and then aggravated when she twisted to pick something up. She's been to doctor, massage and a couple of pharmacies for pain killers.

I feel her pain. 

Twist and lift is definitely not a good idea but so easily done without a thought. 

Some years ago we had a short break in Pisa ( not pizza as some of my fellow British travellers called it when buying a bus ticket).  

Our hotel was about 20 mins walk from the wonky tower and restuarants  were the usual jack the price up near the tourist spot fare. 

Just round the corner from our hotel, we found a back street pizza place. 

Two tables outside  barely clear of the road and two bench tables and benches inside that you could just about squeeze  in to sit. 

The pizza was excellent, as was the calzone, the entertainment during dinner was watching pizzas and a mountain of pizza boxes being made for the endless procession of scooter riders to deliver 

Fantastic atmosphere,  fantastic, reasonably priced food and very friendly but busy staff. 

We went back 4 nights out of the five we were there. 

Andy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

I recall a foodie fad, back in he last century, possibly the 70s, where cold baked beans (straight from the tin) were served with fresh salad.

Why is Flavio retching into that bucket??

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 12

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

I recall a foodie fad, back in he last century, possibly the 70s, where cold baked beans (straight from the tin) were served with fresh salad.

It’ll take more than cold baked beans to make me nauseous. Once you’ve hooked a floater out of a river or been at an autopsy of a “crispy critter”, then cold baked beans don’t even register on the “yuck” scale.

Mind you cold beans can be excellent; as the Italian dish of “tonno e fagioli” proves (and they use white Borlotti beans, not haricots [baked beans])

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

10 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

One supposes that whatever our Swiss correspondent retched up wouldn't be classed as ultra processed would it.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I actually prefer them cold ....  Whoops, there's an admission.

As did Momma Bear....

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I actually prefer them cold ....  Whoops, there's an admission.

You could work for Heinz in quality control*.  They sample them cold!

* Though you'd have to move to Wigan...

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

It's amazing what you can get used to and even eventually 'enjoy' - cold baked beans!

How about cold rice pudding, straight from the can?

I'm not admitting ANYTHING...

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5