Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Wasn't there a campaign to add folic acid to bread? I may be mistaken as it was a couple of years ago. I also can't remember why.

Something to do with baby-making.  No not the start of the process.........

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Leaving out any of the following from a Pizza would certainly give iD added Beary Points,

iD doesn’t care about Beary points, iD has a challenge to meet to his own specifications and high standards - nobody else's. iD has needed an impetus to “up” his pizza game, this is a good enough excuse as any to try to improve his pizzas.

Given that PB didn’t specify the style of pizza, iD’s pizza will be typical of any traditional, non-touristy Southern Italian pizzeria so…

4 hours ago, polybear said:
  •  Seafood (any) YES, TRADITIONAL
  • Olives POSSIBLY
  • Chicken NEVER
  • Mushrooms YES, TRADITIONAL
  • Spinach YES, TRADITIONAL 
  • Beef NEVER
  • Artichoke POSSIBLY
  • Arugula NEVER

- with Bonus Points added for blue cheese (Gorgonzola, Dolcelatte etc.), a bit of spiciness (Diavola etc.)......NOPE, NOT TRADITIONAL

Thick Base or Stuffed Crust?  NOPE NOT TRADITIONAL Not on your Nellie - Bear has standards..... AT LAST, A GLIMMER OF HOPE

Bear can complain all he wants, but there will be NO fries with the pizza, curly, straight or bent in the middle. It will be a traditional ITALIAN pizza. served in the traditional Southern Italian way: with a small salad and a glass of  prmitivo. ID doesn’t “do” pseudo/fake Italian food

é autentico o non é niente 

The fries (or to be pedantic triple-cooked chips) will be served at a different meal

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I can see this whole culinary battle getting far worse than the GWR v MR livery saga.

It’s  just started.

When it gets to Bucatini alla Carbonara (bastardised outside Lazio as spaghetti alla carbonara) there’s gonna be bodies hanging from lampposts and rivers of blood running down the gutters.

• Like 8
  • Funny 3

14 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Something to do with baby-making.  No not the start of the process.........

I see someone else has neglected his DSM-V  studies….

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I see someone else has neglected his DSM-V  studies….

It is to do with baby making. The folic acid is to reduce neural tube defects, It is prescribed as a supplement during pregnancy but fortifying flour has been suggested as another method perhaps for those who don’t attend antenatal clinics

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It is to do with baby making. The folic acid is to reduce neural tube defects, It is prescribed as a supplement during pregnancy but fortifying flour has been suggested as another method perhaps for those who don’t attend antenatal clinics

I may look pregnant but I am not I think I take folic acid pills because Metformin depleted a vitamin

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

iD doesn’t care about Beary points, iD has a challenge to meet to his own specifications and high standards - nobody else's. iD has needed an impetus to “up” his pizza game, this is a good enough excuse as any to try to improve his pizzas.

Given that PB didn’t specify the style of pizza, iD’s pizza will be typical of any traditional, non-touristy Southern Italian pizzeria so…

Bear can complain all he wants, but there will be NO fries with the pizza, curly, straight or bent in the middle. It will be a traditional ITALIAN pizza. served in the traditional Southern Italian way: with a small salad and a glass of  prmitivo. ID doesn’t “do” pseudo/fake Italian food

The fries (or to be pedantic triple-cooked chips) will be served at a different meal

Where and when can I book a table, to sample this offering?

Paul

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Oh dear, how sad.....iD falls even before  the first hurdle - and in front of an audience too.......

Let's see now....

Waiter:  "Is everything to your satisfaction, Sir"

Customer:  "NO!!  This Pizza's cr@p!!"

Waiter:  "It may be cr@p, Sir - but it's TRADITIONAL cr@p......"

26 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Where and when can I book a table, to sample this offering?

Paul

Any run down, back-street joint that's on it's last legs.........

image.png.bc1af98ed05fa1fc1c25f08c2cd2c64c.png

• Funny 13

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

You missed the joke Tony

The DSM-V or more properly The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders is a guide for psychiatrists. Included in the manual are the paraphilias - which would include such things as (to put in euphemistically) “variations on baby-making”

Hence the one liner…

• Like 7

Oh Dear, what started as a good natured challenge PB has managed to turn sour

53 minutes ago, polybear said:

Oh dear, how sad.....iD falls even before  the first hurdle - and in front of an audience too.......

Let's see now....

Waiter:  "Is everything to your satisfaction, Sir"

Customer:  "NO!!  This Pizza's cr@p!!"

Waiter:  "It may be cr@p, Sir - but it's TRADITIONAL cr@p......"

Just a few points:

1. Just because YOU don’t like it, doesn’t mean it’s crap.
  2. Just because YOU think a combo works, doesn’t mean everyone else has to share that opinion.
  3. Unlike you, I am happy to eat most anything (including curly fries) as long as it’s made from quality ingredients.
  4. I refuse to be lectured to on good food by someone who lives on pre-made, packaged, mostly UPF “food”

I had hoped that you’d enter into the spirit of things and enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of making your own LDC from fresh ingredients without denigrating people’s efforts or indulging in petty one-upmanship.

Obviously I was mistaken.

I shall continue with my quest to make a decent homemade pizza from fresh ingredients and will post the efforts on TNM. You can do what you want.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I have now actually run trains on Emily's layout, purely for test purposes of course,  I have even acquired a cheap loco shed to hide the pannier tank.  Sadly the shed is too smalto hide the Flying Money Pit.   Testing will continue once all the loose fishplatescetc are sorted. 

Jamie 

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Testing will continue once all the loose fishplatescetc are sorted. 

Jamie 

I very much hope you are not relying on tight fishplates to carry electrical current?

Your reputation as a grandfather is at stake!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A busy day and it hasn't started yet.

Friend's funeral plans have been advised and we have rebooked our trip to the motherland so we can attend. 

Mrs SM42 has done the shopping.

We are off to a friends birthday celebration today, a late change of venue sees us heading south almost into single digit map book page numbers. 

At least it's better ( but only slightly)  than taking on the A14. 

Mrs SM42 has handed out daily orders for tomorrow and Monday and I shall soon be getting myself psyched up to take on the M40 and M25.

The rain patters down. 

Tomorrow's planned BBQ looks doubtful.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Oh Dear, what started as a good natured challenge PB has managed to turn sour

Just a few points:

1. Just because YOU don’t like it, doesn’t mean it’s crap.
  2. Just because YOU think a combo works, doesn’t mean everyone else has to share that opinion.
  3. Unlike you, I am happy to eat most anything (including curly fries) as long as it’s made from quality ingredients.
  4. I refuse to be lectured to on good food by someone who lives on pre-made, packaged, mostly UPF “food”

I had hoped that you’d enter into the spirit of things and enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of making your own LDC from fresh ingredients without denigrating people’s efforts or indulging in petty one-upmanship.

Obviously I was mistaken.

I shall continue with my quest to make a decent homemade pizza from fresh ingredients and will post the efforts on TNM. You can do what you want.

The Chef appears to have come out of the kitchen wielding a Meat Cleaver........all I did was ask for some Brown Sauce....  😱

It's still "game-on" as far as Bear is concerned - in fact I've just been sorting the shopping list and digging out the leccy mixer (no, I'm not using the Black & Decker with a paint paddle in the chuck....).  Hang on....slight snaggette......no cake tin.....oh Poo.....

Wonder if I've got a paint tin I can rinse out?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Where do you stand on deep fried Pizza?   With or without batter?

• Funny 11

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

The Chef appears to have come out of the kitchen wielding a Meat Cleaver........all I did was ask for some Brown Sauce....  😱

It's still "game-on" as far as Bear is concerned - in fact I've just been sorting the shopping list and digging out the leccy mixer (no, I'm not using the Black & Decker with a paint paddle in the chuck....).  Hang on....slight snaggette......no cake tin.....oh Poo.....

Wonder if I've got a paint tin I can rinse out?

I've got some paint tins and sone Fresh Flour you can have. 

Andy

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12

1 minute ago, polybear said:

It's still "game-on" as far as Bear is concerned - in fact I've just been sorting the shopping list and digging out the leccy mixer…

Good!

I have yet to decide when I will make the pizza, but I’ve got everything I need in stock except the mozzarella which I’ll buy on the day.

I have a new “pizza stone” to go in the oven (it supposedly helps get that “real” pizza texture and flavour). The problem is that most domestic ovens can’t get hot enough.

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

Consider yourself lucky, Bear. I could have come wielding Cleaver, Butcher’s Knife and Bone Saw.

p.s. My comments still stand. Heed them.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, SM42 said:

getting myself psyched up to take on the M40 and M25.

We are off to Southampton next weekend.  A chunk of the M25 we would normally use will be closed for the whole weekend. There is a diversion but a suggestion that going round the  northern half might be quicker seems attractive.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 minutes ago, ian@stenochs said:

Where do you stand on deep fried Pizza?   With or without batter?

Not my cup of tea, but if made with good ingredients, would work well enough.

The Italians have already trod that path with Pizza Fritta (a Neapolitan street food snack, but no batter), panzerotti and - somewhat more refined - Crescentina Alla Modenese.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, polybear said:

Hang on....slight snaggette......no cake tin..

I am sure we used to bake our lemon drizzle cakes in a loaf tin…

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6