Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

RMweb doesn't do politics, but a couple of non-partisan items come to mind today. Sherry has a new MP, who is registered blind, and has a dog, for which he had to wait three years. A canvasser for another party allegedly told a voter that he isn't really blind, and the dog is for a sympathy vote.... He was registered as blind in 1986, and his  wife is also registered blind. The local blind charity are suitably incensed.

At 22.00 last night, as the polls closed, the BBC projected, in full colour on the front of Broadcasting House, a Labour win with 410 seats. Currently Labour have 412, with three results undeclared. Have pollsters ever got anything so accurate? 

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

RMweb doesn't do politics, but a couple of non-partisan items come to mind today. Sherry has a new MP, who is registered blind, and has a dog, for which he had to wait three years. A canvasser for another party allegedly told a voter that he isn't really blind, and the dog is for a sympathy vote.... He was registered as blind in 1986, and his  wife is also registered blind. The local blind charity are suitably incensed.

At 22.00 last night, as the polls closed, the BBC projected, in full colour on the front of Broadcasting House, a Labour win with 410 seats. Currently Labour have 412, with three results undeclared. Have pollsters ever got anything so accurate? 

At most local ballots, there will be somebody in at least one party who doesn't seem to know where the boundaries of human decency lie.  I've been a party member on-and-off for about 35 years but only ever attended two party events, both times I met a couple of best-described-as "oddballs".  Talking to a colleague yesterday - who also leaflet drops for one of the parties - we agreed that party politics does attract a small but significant proportion of really strange people.  Of course some might say that's me, but I'm talking about the sort of person who laughs out loud in public and people nearby would tell their children not to stare at them.

I stayed up until just past 0500 when our seat got declared; my guy got in, overturning a traditionally very safe seat and getting a decent majority.  Job done.  Speaking of jobs, I'd already booked today off, knowing I'd be pulling an all-nighter and largely useless to anyone for much of the day.  Now going to sit on the settee with my tea and watch some railway programmes I have recorded.  Might even do a little modelling later..... 

• Like 15

59 minutes ago, polybear said:

iD previously said:

"Apart from having total control over the ingredients* which are quite inexpensive (all you need is sugar, eggs, butter, flour, some baking powder, lemon zest and some lemon juice for a moister cake) you also have control over quantity and can bake two or three just as easily as one"

- Bear doesn't actually see one that says "Icing Sugar"...........

See?  Duff ingredients lists don't make for a Bear-friendly experience.....😁

Jeez, Bear.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Anyone who doesn't live out of packets and tins knows that (a) sugar comes in different types and (b) it will be specified in the recipe that's chosen.

I reckon you're making excuses not to make your own LDC because you're afraid you'll fall flat on your face.

Let's be honest here. Your first attempts may not look beautiful, but they'll taste a damn sight better than the cake stuffed with Gelling Agents, Preservatives, Humectants, Glucose Syrup, Palm Oil, Comminuted Lemon, Emulsifiers and Regulators....

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Jeez, Bear.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Anyone who doesn't live out of packets and tins knows that (a) sugar comes in different types and (b) it will be specified in the recipe that's chosen.

I reckon you're making excuses not to make your own LDC because you're afraid you'll fall flat on your face.

Let's be honest here. Your first attempts may not look beautiful, but they'll taste a damn sight better than the cake stuffed with Gelling Agents, Preservatives, Humectants, Glucose Syrup, Palm Oil, Comminuted Lemon, Emulsifiers and Regulators....

Bear sniffs a challenge......

Ok, Bear will make an LDC** if.......

iD makes a Pizza (nothing weirdo, mind - something you'd find on a typical Italian Pizzeria Menu) & CF's.........

Photo evidence to be provided....and NO cheating.....

(**Once Bear returns to full fightin' fitness, naturally.....)

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

OK

You're ON.

I'll make a pizza - from scratch - but NO Curly Fries (they just don't belong together, they just don't. I have my standards). Probably Prosciutto e Funghi, Frutti di Mare, Fiorentina or Vegetariana

If you DO want to go down the fried food route, I can do either SchniPoSa (schnitzel, pommes frites, salat) or Schnitzel Holstein, tonkatsu or even a mixed grill with triple cooked chips...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

IMG-20240705-WA0000.jpg.b16e90f5701a39a0fd290ba3257b106a.jpg

Back in 1987, there was at least one candidate from the "Let's have Another Party, Party".

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

OK

You're ON.

I'll make a pizza - from scratch - but NO Curly Fries (they just don't belong together, they just don't. I have my standards).

Oh oh.....

It's a Beary Challenge....and as CF's belong (and work) quite happily with a Pizza at Bear Towers then I reckon they'd work quite happily at Chateau Doc too.

Unless Doc is a Chef totally averse to a bit of experimentation in order to push the boundaries of the culinary experience to new heights, of course?  Has Doc ever had Pizza with CF's before?  No, thought not....so how would you know they "don't belong together"?  Can you quote some famous Chef or Culinary Bible that states that unequivocally?  Thought not.....

Or are you not up to the challenge after all?  Fellow TNM'ers are watching, by the way.......

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

Nope. NO curly fries.

Apart from the fact that fries on pizza is a disgusting abomination. I don't eat (and will never eat) industrially prepared chips/fries

I have standards.

If you want me to make curly fries (which will be freshly made, NOT industrial, and served on the side, NOT on the pizza) then you'll have to add a lemon cream filling to the Lemon Drizzle Cake.

Still on?

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I have standards.

If you want me to make curly fries (which will be freshly made, NOT industrial, and served on the side, NOT on the pizza) then you'll have to add a lemon cream filling to the Lemon Drizzle Cake.

Still on?

Bear adds lemon cream fill8bg and tops it off with a bed of glacé cherries.

Is there no stopping this culinary genius?

Meanwhile in Swizzleland, the Doc has to buy a new cuckoo clock timer....

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Nope. NO curly fries.

Apart from the fact that fries on pizza is a disgusting abomination. I don't eat (and will never eat) industrially prepared chips/fries

I have standards.

Still on?

The Beary Challenge is "....a Pizza.....& CF's"....

I made no mention of ".....a CF Pizza......."

So a side-order of CF's is just fine by this Bear.

And I thought the whole idea of the challenge was for HOME-MADE scoff - so if iD were to submit "industrially prepared" CF's I reckon that's got to be grounds for an immediate disqualification (not to mention iD's culinary reputation terminally shot to bits).

Lemon Cream Filling?  Lemon Buttercream OK?  I'll even bung some glacé cherries on top in order to keep any passing Hippo's happy.....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

OK

You're ON.

I'll make a pizza - from scratch - but NO Curly Fries (they just don't belong together, they just don't. I have my standards). Probably Prosciutto e Funghi, Frutti di Mare, Fiorentina or Vegetariana

If you DO want to go down the fried food route, I can do either SchniPoSa (schnitzel, pommes frites, salat) or Schnitzel Holstein, tonkatsu or even a mixed grill with triple cooked chips...

I think the good Doctor needs to retire and start a restaurant.  All this talk is making me hungry!  
I would happily travel west to Switzerland for a taste testing session.

Paul

By the way, I could also travel to test a Bear’s LDC!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

If you want to impress @polybear I think ham and pineapple would be a better choice.

Bear very much suspects that the introduction of CF's would be a mere walk in the park compared to adding Pineapple to a Pizza.......

Leaving out any of the following from a Pizza would certainly give iD added Beary Points, however:

• Seafood (any)
  • Olives
  • Chicken
  • Mushrooms
  • Spinach
  • Beef
  • Artichoke
  • Arugula

- with Bonus Points added for blue cheese (Gorgonzola, Dolcelatte etc.), a bit of spiciness (Diavola etc.)......

Thick Base or Stuffed Crust?  Not on your Nellie - Bear has standards.....

• Like 9

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear very much suspects that the introduction of CF's would be a mere walk in the park compared to adding Pineapple to a Pizza.......

Leaving out any of the following from a Pizza would certainly give iD added Beary Points, however:

• Seafood (any)
  • Olives
  • Chicken
  • Mushrooms
  • Spinach
  • Beef
  • Artichoke
  • Arugula

- with Bonus Points added for blue cheese (Gorgonzola, Dolcelatte etc.), a bit of spiciness (Diavola etc.)......

Thick Base or Stuffed Crust?  Not on your Nellie - Bear has standards.....

No BBQ chicken then?

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

We still have the same MP as last week, but only just 

22,000 majority down to around 1,000.  

I'm starting to worry about PB.

Alll the good stuff he doesn't like. 

Mind you anchovies you can keep. Add capers to that list. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

If you want additive free flour, one of our local farmers has just started selling it. Grown in a field next to the village and milled nearby.  We've just bought a 5kg bag.  It even lists the strains of wheat in the mix. 

Jamie 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

If you want additive free flour, one of our local farmers has just started selling it

We just go to the supermarket. All white flour in the UK has to have additives but wholemeal  doesn’t so the ingredient list  in for instance Doves Farm Strong Organic Wholemeal Bread flour is very short, contains , Wheat.  
They also sell specific types of wheat variety flour too but I haven’t seen them in the supermarket just online apart from spelt flour. 

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The requirement for calcium carbonate to be added to white flour dates from 1941 in response to the incidence of rickets in those called up to the Land Army. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 12