Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I cheated - iD and I discussed this device some time ago!

Don’t know what it is but would Lt Col Fell have found it useful?

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

That was the song I was trying to remember…

I've a mind full of useless information!  🤪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

As an observer and non-participant here I couldn't resist the "I" newspaper today, page 5, illustrated:

Heading: Hefty Hippopotamusus achieve lift-off when they are trotting

Extract:

....When trotting fast their feet leave the ground for up to 0.8 seconds a study has found..... unlike most large land animals hippos almost exclusively trot......can often weigh more than 2000kg....with the fastest ones taking to the air.

Food for thought?

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, BMS said:

As an observer and non-participant here I couldn't resist the "I" newspaper today, page 5, illustrated:

Extract:

....When trotting fast their feet leave the ground for up to 0.8 seconds a study has found..... unlike most large land animals hippos almost exclusively trot......can often weigh more than 2000kg....with the fastest ones taking to the air.

Food for thought?

Don't stand in front of a trotting hippo, their brakes may not be effective... 

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Think of it this way.....

Money = Cake.

Nuff sed?

Fair enough, But it’s also about spending the right amount of money on the right sort of cake.

Assuming, as a cub-less Bear, you have an innate desire NOT to leave any money to the tax man when you shuffle off this mortal coil, then you need to utilise the following equation

cDD(b) - (eLE[d] x CC/d [D]) = WTBTG

so

cDD(b) = the amount of cake Dedicated Deltics [in the bank]

eLE[d]  = estimated Life Expectancy [in days]

CC/d [D]) =  cost of cake per day in Deltics (rounded to the nearest 0.1 Deltic)

WTBTG = What The Bloody Taxman Gets

Thus if you have 100 cDD(b) and a LE[d] of, say for sake of argument, 100 days and you buy dirt cheap LDC at O.25 cDD(b), then when you snuff it WTBTG will be 9 cDD(b)! That’s nine Deltics to the taxman! Nine Deltics that could have been spent on cake*

But if you are less hair-shirt/mean/tight-fisted (choose your descriptor) and you up your daily cake spend and you buy high-quality, artisanal LDC at 0.95 cDD(b), then WTBTG will only be 1 cDD(b)!

Of course, the optimal solution would be to really go for the VERY highest quality cake coming in at 1 cDD(b) or even 1.05 cDD(b) resulting in a WTBTG of ZERO, if not a negative number.

So, Bear: cheap industrial LDC and a BIG donation to the taxman or expensive, high quality LDC and nothing for the taxman?

Your choice!

*  also, that’s nine Deltics being spent by the government on thing The Bear probably wouldn’t approve of…

Edited by iL Dottore
Formatting
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Fair enough, But it’s also about spending the right amount of money on the right sort of cake.

Assuming, as a cub-less Bear, you have an innate desire NOT to leave any money to the tax man when you shuffle off this mortal coil, then you need to utilise the following equation

cDD(b) - (eLE[d] x CC/d [D]) = WTBTG

so

cDD(b) = the amount of cake Dedicated Deltics [in the bank]

eLE[d]  = estimated Life Expectancy [in days]

CC/d [D]) =  cost of cake per day in Deltics (rounded to the nearest 0.1 Deltic)

WTBTG = What The Bloody Taxman Gets

Thus if you have 100 cDD(b) and a LE[d] of, say for sake of argument, 100 days and you buy dirt cheap LDC at O.25 cDD(b), then when you snuff it WTBTG will be 9 cDD(b)! That’s nine Deltics to the taxman! Nine Deltics that could have been spent on cake*

But if you are less hair-shirt/mean/tight-fisted (choose your descriptor) and you up your daily cake spend and you buy high-quality, artisanal LDC at 0.95 cDD(b), then WTBTG will only be 1 cDD(b)!

Of course, the optimal solution would be to really go for the VERY highest quality cake coming in at 1 cDD(b) or even 1.05 cDD(b) resulting in a WTBTG of ZERO, if not a negative number.

So, Bear: cheap industrial LDC and a BIG donation to the taxman or expensive, high quality LDC and nothing for the taxman?

Your choice!

*  also, that’s nine Deltics being spent by the government on thing The Bear probably wouldn’t approve of…

But......

If the value for eLE[d] chosen should prove incorrect then Bear could end up with diddly squat Cake to scoff....

Now that would mean that:

poB[%] = 100

More simply, Bear would be totally and utterly p1ssed off......permanently....

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, polybear said:

More simply, Bear would be totally and utterly p1ssed off......permanently....

So in your position I would just carry on eating the cake I like. It probably isn’t doing you any harm in the quantity consumed or destroying rainforests.  Probably worth keeping an eye on possible alternatives though, if the Coop do something dastardly like changing the recipe.  

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BMS said:

Extract:

Food for thought?

We'll be reported as walking on water by April next year.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Less walking more skipping, like a stone, before slowly sinking into the depths....

• Funny 10

22 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Less walking more skipping, like a stone, before slowly sinking into the depths....

Yeh but then they pop up again like a t£&£.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Probably worth keeping an eye on possible alternatives though, if the Coop do something dastardly like changing the recipe.  

They did 🤬 - LDC became plain 'ol LC; they kept the ikky stikky gooey stuff on the top but snaffled away the ikky stikky gooey stuff in the middle.  B'sterds.

Didn't reduce the price though 🤬.  Double B'sterds.

• Friendly/supportive 13

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

They did 🤬 - LDC became plain 'ol LC; they kept the ikky stikky gooey stuff on the top but snaffled away the ikky stikky gooey stuff in the middle.  B'sterds.

Well costs have gone up my dear Bear.

Next you'll find the Polo mint makers will be charging extra for the hole.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AndyID said:

Clever Bear! Yes, it's a clutch.

Bear hates to mention this....but I do believe clutches have already been invented.....🤣

• Agree 3
  • Funny 6

1 minute ago, polybear said:

Bear hates to mention this....but I do believe clutches have already been invented.....🤣

Indeed, but this one doesn't wear out and it is much more controllable than a mechanical clutch. That makes it compatible with automatic operation.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

There is a very, very, classified film of hippos being dropped from a Lancaster bomber to prove the Barnes Wallis theory pertaining to the Upkeep mine. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Wouid it be worth getting a jar of lemon curd with the LDC and adding some?

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Clever Bear! Yes, it's a clutch.

Well, it DID remind me of the centrifugal clutch on my fathers old Suffolk Colt petrol lawnmower, but....

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

34 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Well, it DID remind me of the centrifugal clutch on my fathers old Suffolk Colt petrol lawnmower, but....

I can see why it would.

All clutches have to dissipate energy while the input and output are synchronizing. Traditionally that is done by converting the excess energy into heat by mechanical friction. This one converts it into heat by fluid friction. The version shown has three pistons/cylinders. Three is the minimum but it could have as many as you like.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Don’t know what it is but would Lt Col Fell have found it useful?

Unfortunately it has shown-up a bit too late for that 😄 Might even have saved the Warships. The torque capacity of a traditional clutch is typically a function of its diameter. They are essentially "two-dimensional". The capacity of this puppy is a function of displacement volume and therefore more three-dimensional.

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Reports appearing on April 1st ?

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3