Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

There are some unkind people who claim that  @polybear IS the wrong sort of people.... 🤣

Having met PB in person, I can attest that under* that rough-hewn exterior and the unsophisticated veneer he is a Top Bear!

* quite a distance under....😁

Those who frequent TNM and have met me, usually cannot believe how compact I am.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Just passing Preston on a southbound Avanti train and seen Sir Nigel Gresley pass going the opposite way at the head of a rake of BR Mk 1s (I think). At least it wasn’t the flying thingy.

Dave

• Like 15
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Just passing Preston on a southbound Avanti train and seen Sir Nigel Gresley pass going the opposite way at the head of a rake of BR Mk 1s (I think). At least it wasn’t the flying thingy.

Dave

I'm glad you clarified the A4 was heading in the opposite direction.

It would have been rather embarrassing to have been overtaken by a loco even older than you.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 14

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

However the household includes four new girls, one black one, Rosie, one white one, Eva, and two brown ones, Tina and Ziggy.  They even presented us with three eggs yesterday afternoon.  However Rosie nearly went in the pot last night after I'd spent over an hour trying to get her to go into the coop.  I just shut the enclosure doors and left her in the end. 

When we lived in Arizona Lorna volunteered at the local preschool. They had four newly hatched chickens. Unfortunately one of the pupils thought they were ducks and put one in the water table. It didn't survive. Then the health-department arrived and told them they could not have chickens at the school, so Lorna brought the three survivors home.

She decided they were Daphne, Isabel and Ophelia. They used to lay eggs all over the place, the worst probably being in the cacti. Lorna couldn't eat eggs then our children decided the yolks were "too yellow" so pretty soon we were inundated with eggs.

When it was very hot the hens would sneak in the house and we would find them perched on the edge of the bathtub.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

I mentioned I had filed a patent so as a bit of a challenge for those mechanically inclined, here's a pic. The question is "What the heck does it actually do?" (The pic shows it both assembled and exploded.)

A couple of you already know so please don't give it away too soon 😄

IsoNoAnnotation.JPG.4584a3e07845ab0f6aec29bc830aae78.JPG

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It seems that HH and his mates have become airborne troops:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jul/03/hippos-might-fly-uk-research-discovers-animal-can-get-airborne.

Now there's nowhere to hide....

Hippos are fitted with a pusher propellor, they just have to rotate it faster than a twirl...

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

I mentioned I had filed a patent so as a bit of a challenge for those mechanically inclined, here's a pic. The question is "What the heck does it actually do?" (The pic shows it both assembled and exploded.)

It kind of looks like some kind of hydraulic pump. but what do I know.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

It kind of looks like some kind of hydraulic pump. but what do I know.

It is hydraulic, but it's not a pump.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

If not a pump, then some type of "motor" maybe? Or actuator? I see pistons and a "cylinder" but can not determine the flow.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

This is interesting.

image.png.f2e20eebe5a90336dad3b23e11e9410d.png

As discussed in the other place.. err no.

image.png.e80420f3a159b389068204bb9d0c3400.png

And the number system digit is the type of product, 0 or 1 retail, 3, pharmaceuticals, 5, coupons...

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

If not a pump, then some type of "motor" maybe? Or actuator? I see pistons and a "cylinder" but can not determine the flow.

Not a motor or an actuator. Yes, three pistons and three cylinders.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AndyID said:

Some sort of CV joint? 

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, AndyID said:

Bear's money is on a clutch

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Hippos are fitted with a pusher propellor, they just have to rotate it faster than a twirl...

Believe it or not, a pusher type prop is more efficient than those that pull from the front end of small aeroplanes

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, AndyID said:

Sir! Sir! Please Sir!

Its a self-centering drive coupling!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Not so much a clutch, more of a death grip.

Think of it this way.....

Money = Cake.

Nuff sed?

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Money = Cake.

Nuff sed?

Is it Einsteinian? 🤔

M=EC2* ? 🤔

* Money = Extra Cake squared....

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, polybear said:

Money = Cake.

Nuff sed?

I am not eating cakes, biscuits or chocolate at the moment. My diabetic control was pretty good until earlier this year. If it isn’t back to where it was by the time I have by next hba1c test my GP thinks I may need to consider more/different medication. Her discussion with me was “what happened?”  The next test “lookback” however will include the two weeks we are on a cruise. I think if we make it to the afternoon teas it will be a tiny cucumber sandwich and equally tiny cake. My weight and waistline are decreasing so I must be doing something right.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Sir! Sir! Please Sir!

Its a self-centering drive coupling!

I cheated - iD and I discussed this device some time ago!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3