Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

The  Germans had the crucial problem that what they were doing had to work, failure was not an option, and they also had the benefit of the thorough reconstruction of their social structure conducted between 1919 and 1939. 

They also had social reforms in housing and education going back to the 1860s which Britain hadn't really begin. 

Britain had the fundamental problem that virtually the only thing which had survived - their political structure and banking system - was of least use to them. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I believe that when Marx composed his manifesto for change he thought that it would occur in Germany or England not Russia as it hadn't progressed sufficiently. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

With regard to Infrastructure, many organisations in the UK, now work on a maxim of minimal maintenance.  The logic is if it doesn’t fail whilst I’m in charge, that is fine.  If it fails, yes I have to sort it, but the funds will come from the contingency budget!

As for Parliament, nowadays it seems to be fully of solicitors.  Could this be part of the problem?

Paul

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I didn’t even know that tortoises could stamp. I’ve only ever seen them sort of shuffle along.

Dave

That's an interesting comment coming from a crab.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

There I'm afraid to many politicians who come from a background where talking was how they made there 'money' - I used that word in the broadest possible sense.

Their money comes because they are Solicitors without briefs....

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I always recall someone, can't remember who, observing that the world had moved from making the fundamental breakthroughs/Discovery's into a period where we were now putting those Discovery's to use. It is now much the same with politics.

When I was growing up it was much easier to identify things/reasons that politicians wanted to change.

For example the standard of housing or the large percentage of the population who were desperately poor. Nowadays whilst both those examples still exist they are no where near the same levels as when i was young. Therefore politicians have to work harder in order to justify there political stance.

One way to do that of course is to pass legislation. Whether that legislation is needed or achieves it's objective is more mute. Much legislation nowadays seems to be poorly crafted. Is that the fault of the politician? Could be but I would also say that bureaucracy that helps draft it must take some of the blame.

There have been numerous examples cited of the way businesses have taken advantage of this bureaucracy to its benefit. Yet it is also possible to cite examples of legislation that has reigned in businesses and stopped it abusing workers. 

In the end it all boils down to the quality of the people involved wherever they are and unfortunately at this time we seem to be working through a extremely poor selection.

When I started developing the Police National Legal Database there were some 2000 charge heading gs.  7 years later there were over 5000.  Most politicians seem to be addicted to passing new legislation rather than using quite adequate existing laws.  It shows that they are doing something. 

2 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

As for Parliament, nowadays it seems to be fully of solicitors.  Could this be part of the problem?

Paul

I remember hearing in the 90's that there were approx 450  legally qualified MP's out if 600 odd. These included Maggie. 

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, DenysW said:

Small village on the Trent, just north of Newark? Not especially picturesque, but well served by the A1.

Just checking.

Its also got a lock on the Trent, which is tidal below it.  You need to time your passage carefully if you want to lock up onto the Fossdyke at Torksey on the same tide!

2 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Paul

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

There I'm afraid to many politicians who come from a background where talking was how they made there 'money' - I used that word in the broadest possible sense.

"First thing we do, lets kill all the lawyers". Shakespeare, Henry VI pt2.

For some reason lawyers dislike that quote with a passion, but perhaps having been a lawyer, solicitor or barrister, should be a bar against sitting as an MP...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

clung on far too long and his overall vision was simply not viable. 

I thought he also had the combined tolerance for alternative suggestions of Donald Trump and Lord Voldemort.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Hmm page 1984... That has some meaning.

George Orwell....

And I was living in the outer Hebrides again..

Just to upset someone..

I've just had delivered 3 months of SemaGlutide. The real thing.. about 20,000 other people are also on it...

After that's gone there's a 50-50 chance of being on it or the placebo..

Start taking the pills tomorrow...

• Friendly/supportive 16

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Whoops!

image.png.89e7439fcee9e339c4092fbc1ecf49e3.png

Looks like someone tripped one of DH's cake defence systems

Was it you PB?

PB?

image.png.c53f10dae51d3814e68444bf648d0e11.png

Nope. THIS is PB when cake-hunting.....

_93ff0623-20a1-418e-8eef-bd69452ebaca.jpg.50cc91b4b45877ce4a742eb0ba7124af.jpg

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

This could get

• Messy
  • Serious
  • Noisy

_2c2057ab-7761-4c72-a2a1-1afabd489006.jpg.26a0c5472feb8be0d3d4ba5fc961b1dd.jpg

Of course, you'd have to be seriously greedy not to consider that half a cake each would be better than the cake being destroyed in the fracas and ending up with no cake at all!

• Agree 4
  • Funny 8

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Of course, you'd have to be seriously greedy not to consider that half a cake each would be better than the cake being destroyed in the fracas and ending up with no cake at all!

Of course, that would be the sane and logical approach to take. But the merest whiff of CAKE to cakeaholics like HH and PB throws reason and rationality out the window.....

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

This could get

• Messy
  • Serious
  • Noisy

_2c2057ab-7761-4c72-a2a1-1afabd489006.jpg.26a0c5472feb8be0d3d4ba5fc961b1dd.jpg

The smart money is on The Bear.....

8 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Of course, that would be the sane and logical approach to take. But the merest whiff of CAKE to cakeaholics like HH and PB throws reason and rationality out the window.....

Not at all, as Bear & Hippo have both signed a Mutual Co-operation Pact.....

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

The smart money is on The Bear.....

To cut the cake, and then offer me a generous slice.

Working together, we gather far more cake than when searching independently.

Then there is our MAD policy.

Mutually Assured Distribution.

If Bear is short, he knows he can get stuff from me, and vice versa.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

For cake, cakeaholics, HH and PB read countries and politicians and you have history and current affairs.

Dave 

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Will that be as effective as the one that Hitler and Stalin signed?

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I was most disappointed to find out that a hung parliament was not each and every Right Honourable member dangling from a lamp post between Westminster and Whitehall.

What about those who are merely Honourable members ?

As I understand it, Right Honourables are those who members who are Privy Councillors.

Adrian

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, figworthy said:

As I understand it, Right Honourables are those who members who are Privy Councillors.

Adrian

Decimation would make the survivors keener at getting it right.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

3 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Adrian

Which was originally a crap job.  

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Which was originally a crap job.  

All that’s changed, Bill, is that they now spread the crap far and wide. 

Dave

• Like 8
  • Agree 5