Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Oops, sorry; finger trouble. My previous post that is.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
And then I misspelled this one. Not my day really.
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I still maintain it's overrated and should be in private hands though.

Ask Pete Waterman how he enjoyed having it in his hands. Best wear ear defenders though.

Dave

• Funny 9

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

You'll have to get dressed and pop down to b&q...

We yes I did but B&M was nearer. Last pot on the shelf too. 

A turn up for the books this evening. 

My MP ( outgoing probably) has just appeared on the doorstep canvassing . 

First time I"ve seen a candidate  since I turned 18.

Didn't see one then  either 

Andy

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

I did have an Uncle Bob as well as a Grampa Bob, a cousin Bob and a brother Bob. But it was Georges. There was Grampa George, father George, two Uncles George, brother George, cousin George and father-in-law George.

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Ask Pete Waterman how he enjoyed having it in his hands. Best wear ear defenders though.

Dave

Ah. But that was after years, if not decades of neglect.

We had it as a visitor at Southport in the mid 1980s and the crews were saying it was a bag of nails. I managed to get a free ride for coaling it!

Ear defenders are what I wear when I hear anything recorded by Pete Waterman......

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I did have an Uncle Bob as well as a Grampa Bob, a cousin Bob and a brother Bob. But it was Georges. There was Grampa George, father George, two Uncles George, brother George, cousin George and father-in-law George.

But no Jim-bob?  Or Chicken George?

41 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Any idea who it was that apparently received death threats after painting it “the wrong colour”?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Just add a transformer, some rectifiers and a pantograph and Bob's your uncle or possibly your father.

Bob's one of Mr Bullied's air smoothed finest

You're thinking of Bil(l)

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Ah. But that was after years, if not decades of neglect.

We had it as a visitor at Southport in the mid 1980s and the crews were saying it was a bag of nails. I managed to get a free ride for coaling it!

Ear defenders are what I wear when I hear anything recorded by Pete Waterman......

My Father still insists said loco was a Bag Of Nails when still in service with BR.  He was a Fireman at Grantham and New England.

Paul

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

We yes I did but B&M was nearer. Last pot on the shelf too. 

A turn up for the books this evening. 

My MP ( outgoing probably) has just appeared on the doorstep canvassing . 

First time I"ve seen a candidate  since I turned 18.

Didn't see one then  either 

Andy

I've not seen any hopefuls, and the only election literature I've had was from the previous incumbents.  As I've completed my postal voting pack, any approaches are now TOO LATE!  😁

6 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

My Father still insists said loco was a Bag Of Nails when still in service with BR.  He was a Fireman at Grantham and New England.

Paul

I saw the Moneypit at the NRM when they had it in their workshop, trying to fix it. They should have stuffed and plinthed it back then, it would have saved a lot of money...

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

33 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Bob's one of Mr Bullied's air smoothed finest

You're thinking of Bil(l)

Easy enough to convert a Bob to tender-drive and keep it going for 50+ years. Motorize the tender and supply it from the OHE, or a diesel somewhere in the consist. I realize this concept will give a lot of people conniptions but the reality is live-steam is no longer practical.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Easy enough to convert a Bob to tender-drive and keep it going for 50+ years. Motorize the tender and supply it from the OHE, or a diesel somewhere in the consist. I realize this concept will give a lot of people conniptions but the reality is live-steam is no longer practical.

It wouldn't be out of place, Hornby Dublo did a 3-rail BoB...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

10 minutes ago, AndyID said:

What are you on about?

We are building new ones!

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It wouldn't be out of place, Hornby Dublo did a 3-rail BoB...

The BoB that pulled our train at Swanage seemed to cope. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

What are you on about?

Well, I suppose if you want turn the UK into a museum best not to complain about the cost.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The BoB that pulled our train at Swanagenseemed quite happy. 

I'm sure it was very effective. They do work very well. The on-going cost in the long-term is the problem.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, AndyID said:

Well, I suppose if you want turn the UK into a museum best not to complain about the cost.

Again. What are you on about?

I've not complained about the cost....

I just said it would have been better in private hands and was fine when it was under the stewardship of Riley's.

I would rather the NRM had spent the money on overhauling the Coronation instead of Flying Scotsman.

For the record. I've put my money where my mouth is numerous times and currently supporting three new build projects financially. That's as well as being part owner of a few locomotives*....

*Nothing substantial, but those few hundred pounds here and there soon add up

Jason

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3

2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

if you want turn the UK into a museum best not to complain about the cost

I view British Values as including, at a minimum:

-     Complaining about the cost

-     Queueing nicely & saying please & thank you

-     Complaining about/discussing the weather

-     Complaining about all waves of immigration later than our own*

* As some-one with a Saxon surname I feel very broadminded about being married to a girl with a surname from Danelaw. I'm really worried about the recent Norman influx, however, and there are so many of the blighters that they seem to out-number us with their dark hair. Let alone taking over all the levers of power. Harumph.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

What are you on about?

I quite agree. The ones being built now are built with modern materials and technology, unlike the 100 year old wreck which really does need to be retired. A new-build replica of the Moneypit would have cost the NRM less to build and run than the Moneypit has so far, and will continue to do.

I'd even give them a few pounds if the retired the poor thing and started fundraising for a replacement...

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Again. What are you on about?

I've not complained about the cost....

I just said it would have been better in private hands and was fine when it was under the stewardship of Riley's.

I would rather the NRM had spent the money on overhauling the Coronation instead of Flying Scotsman.

For the record. I've put my money where my mouth is numerous times and currently supporting three new build projects financially. That's as well as being part owner of a few locomotives*....

*Nothing substantial, but those few hundred pounds here and there soon add up

Jason

But why? Steam powered traction is no longer practical for a great many reasons.

Yes, it's nice to keep some steam locomotives running for tourism, nostalgia and a bit of marketing, but that's about it.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, DenysW said:

I view British Values as including, at a minimum:

-     Complaining about the cost

-     Queueing nicely & saying please & thank you

-     Complaining about/discussing the weather

-     Complaining about all waves of immigration later than our own*

* As some-one with a Saxon surname I feel very broadminded about being married to a girl with a surname from Danelaw. I'm really worried about the recent Norman influx, however, and there are so many of the blighters that they seem to out-number us with their dark hair. Let alone taking over all the levers of power. Harumph.

We seem to be having similar issues on this side of the Atlantic.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I've not seen any hopefuls, and the only election literature I've had was from the previous incumbents.  As I've completed my postal voting pack, any approaches are now TOO LATE!  😁

Bear hasn’t decided which box to tick yet; my current favourite would no doubt cause howls of protest/derision/laughter/all of the above amongst fellow TNM’ers.  Mind you, that doesn’t exactly narrow it down much in the current climate…..

🤣

9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I quite agree. The ones being built now are built with modern materials and technology, unlike the 100 year old wreck which really does need to be retired. A new-build replica of the Moneypit would have cost the NRM less to build and run than the Moneypit has so far, and will continue to do.

I suspect very little of the FS is anywhere near 100 years old now as so much has been replaced (and certainly amongst those bits that actually do any serious work).

My Boss owned a pre-74 FF1600 race car; the only bit he was sure was original was the steering wheel….

• Like 9
  • Funny 3

7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'd even give them a few pounds if the retired the poor thing and started fundraising for a replacement...

But why bother? The technology is completely outdated, incredibly inefficient, dangerous, and an expensive PITA to maintain.

If the real costs are all covered through private funding plus revenue earned from the investment that's OK.

Are they?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

I've had a few comments about the need to have a "None of the above" as an option on the voting slip; I guess the closest one can get is either:

a) Don't tick (cross of course) anybody but do vote

b) Tick all

or c) Add Paddington (Bear of course! - to avoid confusing those of a non-GWR disposition!) ). There are a few fictional posters around here for the c) Option - free marmalade sandwiches - no LDC sadly).

I guess they would all appear as spoiled votes in the analyses afterwards. 

• Like 9