Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Sorry, this sounds more like an ERs post!

Not exactly. When I was last an ERs regular, modelling and associated matters were discouraged by a 5'14" lady, threatening to use her mighty awl!

• Agree 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

The trick is to cater for both groups; I would’ve thought that all these “smart young things” with Degrees, Phd’s etc that seem to be running such places now should find little difficulty doing that….

Of course it’s quite possible that Bear may being a tad cynical there….

Only a tad, perhaps a tadette?🤔

The problem with the move to simplified "relevant" displays is that a large proportion of the target audience won't look at the animated diagrams and read the age appropriate information panels, but either run about screaming or trail after their minders with a sullen expression, immersed in their iPhones.

I'm visiting York this summer and was looking foward to a day at the NRM...

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

The problem with the move to simplified "relevant" displays is that a large proportion of the target audience won't look at the animated diagrams and read the age appropriate information panels, but either run about screaming or trail after their minders with a sullen expression, immersed in their iPhones.

That's your typical outraged middle-aged male enthusiast visitor...

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 12

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

What I should perhaps add is that all those non-middle-aged non-enthusiast visitors are subsidising the museum's ability to make its archives and collections available for serious middle aged enthusiast researchers. 

I don’t agree (but see below)

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Perhaps it ought to be law that all museums have to cater for 'us' and have a nerd department.

1 hour ago, polybear said:

The trick is to cater for both groups; I would’ve thought that all these “smart young things” with Degrees, Phd’s etc that seem to be running such places now should find little difficulty doing that….

Of course it’s quite possible that Bear may being a tad cynical there….

I’ve mentioned this before in previous posts, but the people who run things in the UK all seem to have gone to the same schools and universities, taken the same degrees, circulate in the same social circles (more or less) and are all singing in the same opera – not necessarily singing the same Arias, but definitely singing in the same opera.

This is especially true of so-called “museum studies” which seems to instruct the “bright young things” (as polybear would put it) to dumb things down to try and attract a demographic that wouldn’t go to a museum in a million years 

To answer @Compound2632 and @polybear successfully catering to casual visitor and the more serious visitor can be done and IS done - but not very often in the UK (although there are - fortunately - quite a few museums that do manage that - such as the Wallace Collection*)

In comparison, when I visited the National Museum of Nature and Science in Tokyo it was choc-a-bloc with kids (obviously a popular destination), yet none of the exhibits were dumbed down (thank you, Google Translate) and some exhibits would be considered as very definitely “too grown-up“ for British children (such as a series of display cases containing mannequins depicting how the Japanese developed as a nation from prehistoric times, with the figures in the first two display cases – representing the very beginnings of Japanese society – being completely naked). And there were plenty of hands-on stuff and audio-visual experiences for people of all ages (and all working as well!).

Two things struck me about the museum, apart from its quality, the first being how well-behaved the Japanese children were. They certainly weren’t quiet and were enthusiastically boisterous, but there was none of this whining and temper tantrums and whingeing so often seen in children at museums in the UK. The other thing that really impressed me, again apart from the superb exhibits, was the gift shop. In many UK museums, the gift shop (which always seems to spread like cancer and take over more of the museum than they rightly deserve [e.g  Science Museum in London]) rarely has much in the way of high-quality and durable souvenirs. In comparison, the museum shop in the Tokyo museum contained everything from pocket money friendly Gachapon* to beautiful scale recreations of dinosaur skeletons to - for visitors with deep pockets and a serious collecting bug – real fossils. And there was nothing there which resembled a cheap “made in China“ throwaway bit of tat. The museum shop was as curated as carefully as the museum collection.

* Gachapon (other spellings are available) are small plastic spheres containing a collectible of some kind or another. These are dispensed from what looks like an oversized bubble gum machine. The Gachapon at the National Museum of Nature and Science all contained miniature replicas of various topics covered by/seen in the museum; you could get miniature dinosaurs, miniature planets of our solar system, miniature bugs (quite popular as those Gachapon machines were almost empty) and so on. And the impressive thing is the collectables inside are incredibly high quality (and not just the Gachapon at the museum, either)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Just now, Compound2632 said:

Money.

Possibly.

Possibly not.

A number of posters, recounting their visits to small, well curated and well laid out museums, have mentioned how such things are run on a shoe string

In comparison, the Maritime Museum in Greenwich (which has been really dumbed down since I was a regular visitor as a kid) has a grant of £20 million with just under another £14 Million from other sources (22-23 figures).

The following is from the BBC. Good or bad news????
IMG_0221.jpeg.6d4281fc839061aa388c398614b16452.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's your typical outraged middle-aged male enthusiast visitor...

No, thats your appalled observer.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Saving up for the next re-build of a Gresley pacific, which I can't for the life of me think of it's name and number.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Possibly.

Possibly not.

A number of posters, recounting their visits to small, well curated and well laid out museums, have mentioned how such things are run on a shoe string

In comparison, the Maritime Museum in Greenwich (which has been really dumbed down since I was a regular visitor as a kid) has a grant of £20 million with just under another £14 Million from other sources (22-23 figures).

A larger caff and museum shop? Perhaps a creche and buggy park?🤔

I'd like to think it would be better thought out displays and a thematic hall with significant exhibits being rotated every year or so.

What it will mean is that parts of the museum will be closed off for reconstruction for up to five years or so and exhibits will go into storage and never exhibited again or be sold off as surplus to requirements.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Saving up for the next re-build of a Gresley pacific, which I can't for the life of me think of it's name and number.

Section and plinth it, if its so iconic, people will come to look at its corroded innards.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

We had a week away at the seaside and saw old houses, two castles, some excellent gardens, had rides on old trains,  visited a museum and also photographed Country Life’s “third best view in England”.  Everyone at all of the places we visited was helpful and really well informed. Any information sheets were appropriate for adults and there were often activity packs for children. We also went to a couple of beaches. The nearest thing to suspicious characters were gulls in Swanage.

Tony

• Like 14
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

@br2975 Oh I bet Royal Mail are delighted to process mass mailings on two days, separated by twelve days, instead of processing six smaller mailings spread over the two week period.  But what would I know, I'm just an engineer who likes to find ways to get things done, not hide behind reasons why they can't be done.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Luckily at the radar museum the building itself is listed and an exhibit, so the reinforcement required to raise heavy items to stupid heights is impossible. Many of the rooms are in themselves small, meaning all you can do is arrange equipment so people can wander around and see the items.

The nearest thing to " modern thinking" is the removal of some WW2 posters deemed sexist...

Other than fitment of a projector and drop down screen, the operations room is exactly as left when the RAF moved back down the underground bunker in 1993 ( it's fit out dates from 1966-73)

It's the lead picture .. here.

https://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/

Those switches the young lady is about to press, is one of the type I spend a lt of time repairing. The manufacturing dates on them are generally 1969, but the plastic  parts weren't designed to last 55 years, much deployment of  plastruct, plasticard, super glue and plastic magic.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

As the forecast is set fair and I only have tomorrow off this week, I am planning an early start to fence painting. 

This will achieve two things. 

1 it won't be so hot

2 I'll have time later to do other stuff. 

There may or may not be a greater expanse of SM42 epidermis on show during this exercise. 

Fetch the factor 50 luv!

Andy

• Like 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Not exactly. When I was last an ERs regular, modelling and associated matters were discouraged by a 5'14" lady, threatening to use her mighty awl!

The aforementioned lady has returned, and is posting from time to time.

Her first post on returning mentioned the aforementioned unmentionables.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Fetch the factor 50 luv!

Make sure it's one that works. Story last week that Which? magazine had tested various sunblocks and found some leading brands wanting, while some supermarket own-brands, including Lidl, passed muster. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, figworthy said:

The aforementioned lady has returned, and is posting from time to time.

Her first post on returning mentioned the aforementioned unmentionables.

Adrian

The reason that TNM was created.

Anything goes....

Even reputations

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I suppose that were I a cynic I would see Brian's post above as illustrating yet another case of this country's descent into banana republic status run by bureaucratic apparatchicks supported by politicians whose primary aim is to further their own careers. 

And I have to admit that I am often accused of being a cynic.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Make sure it's one that works. Story last week that Which? magazine had tested various sunblocks and found some leading brands wanting, while some supermarket own-brands, including Lidl, passed muster. 

Bear used Boots Sultan in Malta; it's on their Tick List and the price is right.  Worked for me.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

If a postal vote hasn’t arrived is it still possible for a proxy vote to,be applied for? Deadline for that is Wednesday I think.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

A curate's egg of a day today. Much of the morning was spent wrestling with various web sites concerned with energy provision, broadband and mobile phone system providers as all of those things are due for renewing fairly soon. I narrowly avoided losing the will to live and have narrowed things down to a couple of providers but will leave it there until nearer the due dates. I was then elected from a shortlist of one to sort out the freezer and managed to reach the furthest recesses that seemed not to have been explored for some considerable time. Having done that I prepared to go down to the shed but heard the dreaded words, "Just before you go, there's a small job needs doing. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes." It didn't. It involved digging out took nearly two hours. Eventually, however, the shed was reached and some work done on the shearlegs for my layout but fate was not yet finished with me. After having a shower to wash away the grime of the day I reached for a towel that caught on the end of the towel rail and wrenched my thumb back. Said digit is now swollen and bluddy painful.

One of those days.....

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 16

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

If a postal vote hasn’t arrived is it still possible for a proxy vote to,be applied for? Deadline for that is Wednesday I think.

My issue there is that I don't have any relatives living in the same constituency as my wife and I, which would mean their travelling.

Plus, I still believe the ballot should be secret - albeit my nearest and dearest will have a good idea of my leanings.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, br2975 said:

My issue there is that I don't have any relatives living in the same constituency as my wife and I, which would mean their travelling.

Plus, I still believe the ballot should be secret - albeit my nearest and dearest will have a good idea of my leanings.

That would be a problem. We have postal votes and they have arrived. For some reason our polling station has moved to somewhere further away from our house. There are two nearer polling stations but they are not for our ward. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6