Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, AndyID said:

Ah! How was it disengaged?

Looking at the prominent bolts on the face of the turning gear, and that the gear is split, perhaps it is removed rather than the worm, which seems fairly permanently mounted?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I doubt that you get many customers desperate for a tin of beanz at 3am in the morning.

Don’t be so sure….

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 17/06/2024 at 07:25, jamie92208 said:

Cue the Yellow Pages advert. 

The Fleet I sailed on in the late 60's was based at a yard next to the bridge at Potter Heigham, on the south West if my forgettery serves me well. 

Jamie

Herbert woods yard, I don't think they've any sailing boats left just huge motorboats and one restored woodie motor boat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, BR60103 said:

It looked as if someone was making tea by putting the bag in the kettle and boiling it.

When I lived in a HMO in the late 70s, one of the tenants, who turned out to be a con man, had very few posessions and used to boil spaghetti in the electric kettle that came with the room.

An interesting character, moved frequently, buying stuff on HP but not making any payments and then selling on.  The signed the name he was using in such a way that it would be misread, so he returned all the bills that arrived for that name as 'Not Known'.  He didn't stay long and soon after he left debt collectors came looking for him.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Losing sweets from your desk at work?

Read the reviews on diabetic gummy bears on Amazon..

• Funny 9

I've been wandering around the fascinating world of signalling pathways (biology not railway) for work and I came across this:

The Hippo Pathway, is a signaling pathway that controls organ size in animals through the regulation of cell proliferation and apoptosis.

This may explain a lot....

• Funny 15

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Looking at the prominent bolts on the face of the turning gear, and that the gear is split, perhaps it is removed rather than the worm, which seems fairly permanently mounted?

Usually the gear is used as a giant flange to connect the engine to the propellor shaft, which I think is what it’s being used for here.

If it was removed it would take up an enormous amount of space in the ship which generally is at a premium.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Yes, I had the same thought as I was falling asleep last night.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Usually the gear is used as a giant flange to connect the engine to the propellor shaft, which I think is what it’s being used for here.

If it was removed it would take up an enormous amount of space in the ship which generally is at a premium.

If the worm was internally splined sliding the shaft out does seem like the likely answer.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, petethemole said:

When I lived in a HMO in the late 70s, one of the tenants, who turned out to be a con man, had very few posessions and used to boil spaghetti in the electric kettle that came with the room.

An interesting character, moved frequently, buying stuff on HP but not making any payments and then selling on.  The signed the name he was using in such a way that it would be misread, so he returned all the bills that arrived for that name as 'Not Known'.  He didn't stay long and soon after he left debt collectors came looking for him.

The house next door to Bear Towers was rented out by the owner some 20+ years ago; after living there a few years the Tenants had to move to a cheaper property (the Council said NO...) and a couple of days before they left they went shopping at Currys, Comet, Dixons.....with lots n' lots on HP.

The house owner (now moved back in) had the job of fending off the Debt Collectors....

And the House?  I was asked to go in as an "independent witness".  Grim?  Oh yes, and some....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

........................... I doubt that you get many customers desperate for a tin of beanz at 3am in the morning.

I doubt you've ever 'patrolled' the streets at 03:00hrs ?

If you had, you'd be aware of the myriad of reasons folk are out and about at such times; reasons that most of us find incomprehensible.

Whilst I never met an individual who was out shopping for beans at 03:00, I have met several (allegedly) out shopping  to buy dog food at the same hour. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

I normally had a cravinvg for chocolate and other sweet things or occasionally a savoury snack during a night shift. 

3 am was also a good time to do the office tea club shopping

I knew all the 24 hour openers on my area and a couple just off it. 

You did have to dodge around the pallets and shelf stackers though. 

Lots of people could be seen shopping in their nightgown and slippers too. 

Andy

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I've been wandering around the fascinating world of signalling pathways (biology not railway) for work and I came across this:

The Hippo Pathway, is a signaling pathway that controls organ size in animals through the regulation of cell proliferation and apoptosis.

This may explain a lot....

Does Hippo Uni. have a hippo campus?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 12

6 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Does Hippo Uni. have a hippo campus?

Groan button - stat!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 7

8 hours ago, petethemole said:

One of our friends used to be a “skip tracer”.  She was very good at it - I’ve heard some of her pitches! She could be a recently ex-girlfriend, now pregnant; a sister looking for a long-lost brother to tell him a parent was on their deathbed etc. - all very convincingly.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

The house next door to Bear Towers was rented out by the owner some 20+ years ago; after living there a few years the Tenants had to move to a cheaper property (the Council said NO...) and a couple of days before they left they went shopping at Currys, Comet, Dixons.....with lots n' lots on HP.

The house owner (now moved back in) had the job of fending off the Debt Collectors....

And the House?  I was asked to go in as an "independent witness".  Grim?  Oh yes, and some....

Property programmes often make building a property portfolio sound all too easy, but stories like this are all too easy to find online:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-fives-home-hell-cost-14144230 

There are some people out there who I'm not sure qualify for the human race.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

No sanding today as I decided that mowing and strimming was more important.

Since the shed that houses the mower was a bit cluttered, I decided that this needed a bit of a tidy up as well.

Then I fitted the new lock to the side door of the garage.

After that, I did some more timber work; this time it was cutting up some stuff to go to the recycling centre (It had traces of woodworm, so it was not going anywhere near my wood store.

Finally I selected some ply sheet for tomorrow's Trayne Klubb baseboard building session.

Unusually the garage is quite tidy with room to swing a couple of cats, so it will be a pleasant experience rather that lifting timber of half used(and open) paint pots.

After the Klubb meeting it will be off for a pleasant amble in either Ironbridge or Attingham Park with Nyda.

Edit to add

Douglas's work on the engine looks fun.

My money is on a removable worm with a keyed shaft that  can be pulled out to release the worm from it's housing when not in use.

Brian's comments about strange and sometime nefarious folk on the move at silly o'clock rings very true.  Certainly you never knew what to expect if you were holed up in an OP in bandit country.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Property programmes often make building a property portfolio sound all too easy, but stories like this are all too easy to find online:

When I first started working for the council I was in the housing department. The above was nothing to what we had to deal with. The worst was where a family urinated and defecated wherever they were in the house. The whole house not only have to be fumigated the plaster and floorboards had to be replaced.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

22 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Relative of mine had a tenant who burnt the house down.

Prior to that was one who did a moonlit flit.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

When I first started working for the council I was in the housing department. The above was nothing to what we had to deal with. The worst was where a family urinated and defecated wherever they were in the house. The whole house not only have to be fumigated the plaster and floorboards had to be replaced.

After the Tenants left the carpet in the Conservatory next door had to dumped as it was so ingrained with dog sh1t 💩; the Oven was cleaned twice by commercial cleaners using commercial chemicals and it still looked like it needed a bluddy good clean.  As for the smell in the place....well one of the cleaners had to keep going outside as it was making them want to 🤮

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

Relative of mine had a tenant who burnt the house down.

Prior to that was one who did a moonlit flit.

Some years ago A Certain Bear pondered with the idea of buying and renting a one/two bed flat at the bottom of The Big Hill in order to rent out;  I came to the conclusion that I really didn't have the right temperament for it cos' if they took the p1ss the they'd be out, whatever it took....

Apparently you're not supposed to do that now.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

4 minutes ago, polybear said:

Some years ago A Certain Bear pondered with the idea of buying and renting a one/two bed flat at the bottom of The Big Hill in order to rent out;  I came to the conclusion that I really didn't have the right temperament for it cos' if they took the p1ss the they'd be out, whatever it took....

Apparently you're not supposed to do that now.

Eviction laws in the US vary a lot from sate to state. We had a small flat near Park City that we rented out for a few years but before we did I talked to a Utah solicitor to find out what Utah was like. Turned out it wasn't a problem there. He told me they'd be out in two weeks max 😀

• Like 7

3 hours ago, br2975 said:

I doubt you've ever 'patrolled' the streets at 03:00hrs ?

If you had, you'd be aware of the myriad of reasons folk are out and about at such times; reasons that most of us find incomprehensible.

Whilst I never met an individual who was out shopping for beans at 03:00, I have met several (allegedly) out shopping  to buy dog food at the same hour. 

Indeed I have (I worked as a paramedic during the hols when I was an undergraduate at Uni: 24hrs on, 48 hrs off) and I can attest to the weird and wonderful (and bizarrely perverse and not-so-wonderful) things people get up to in the wee small hours.

But I have never met anyone wanting Beanz at 03:00, Krispy Kreme Donuts*? frequently, but Beanz??? No.

* one of the great fracture lines of US society: Krispy Kreme Donuts vs Dunkin Donuts

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

47 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Indeed I have (I worked as a paramedic during the hols when I was an undergraduate at Uni: 24hrs on, 48 hrs off) and I can attest to the weird and wonderful (and bizarrely perverse and not-so-wonderful) things people get up to in the wee small hours.

But I have never met anyone wanting Beanz at 03:00, Krispy Kreme Donuts*? frequently, but Beanz??? No.

* one of the great fracture lines of US society: Krispy Kreme Donuts vs Dunkin Donuts

Now you see that's were it all went wrong for the US of A. If only they'd had individuals- other descriptions are available, wanting beans at 3 am they wouldn't be in the situation there in.

Long live the bean.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11