Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

One of the books I was reading the other day was mostly about the Norfolk broads. in it's earliest days as a hire boat destination.

They bathed in the rivers, Toilets emptied into the rivers, the earliest hire boats got their water from the rivers...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

2 hours ago, SM42 said:

Nasty, often fatal, water borne diseases and other nasties I find fascinating. 

The fascinating bit  is how on earth did we get on before the great works of sanitation were built. 

How did iron age man cope?

How did we survive so long as a species?

While we are at it, how many did we lose in experiments as to what was edible and what wasn't ?

Andy

Not too well, by all accounts. 

Google "the Great Stink of 1858" for more on the subject 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Left the house at midday for a less than half hour 'bus trip into Cardiff to secure the latest MRJ and several Tamiya acrylics.

Got home just after 7pm.

You know how it is ?

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Left the house at midday for a less than half hour 'bus trip into Cardiff to secure the latest MRJ and several Tamiya acrylics.

Got home just after 7pm.

You know how it is ?

The 20 mph speed limits must really be biting the local drivers.

I'd have waited in a pub, (The Vaults?) for the jam to clear......

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

They bathed in the rivers, Toilets emptied into the rivers, the earliest hire boats got their water from the rivers...

Have the Hunter's boats got holding tanks now?

The BBC In Our Time episode on the 'Great Stink' is Quite Interesting....

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, WessexEclectic said:

I believe that holding tanks have been compulsory on inland waterways for some years now.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, WessexEclectic said:

Even better if your telly is equipped with AromaRama.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The 20 mph speed limits must really be biting the local drivers.

I'd have waited in a pub, (The Vaults?) for the jam to clear......

Not the Queen's Vaults, but the 'Temple Bar' a somewhat new establishment in High Street.

One of these new fangled 'Irish Bars' - but at only £3 for John Smiths it served a purpose, until I made the mistake of catching a 24 bus to reach The Llandaff Institute (and a couple of pints of 'Gower Gold' - recommended) - unaware that the 24 traversed Kingsway, North Road and then all the way up to Velindre Hospital before llandaff North and Llandaff................. it was a longer trip than some of these Gray Line tourist bus tours around European capitals.

It's 06:50, I'm suitably refreshed, the kettle is on and I'm ready to peruse that MRJ.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, WessexEclectic said:

No sailing boats built before the regulations came in don't have to fit holding tanks, those built afterwards do, as do all motorboats. Visiting motorboats coming in from the sea for a short time also don't need holding tanks.

The reason for old yachts not having holding tanks, is lack of room. The small sailing boats of the hunters fleet would be very unbalanced with a big tank of something fitted and, the loo seats are just above  waterline anyway.

image.png.9a4990ba77865abe9ea89588025a7d6d.png

image.png.8dec26826549cb74ceddd8a045bb501a.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I believe that holding tanks have been compulsory on inland waterways for some years now.

Inland waterways have a completely different set of regulations to the broads, it operates under its own act of parliament from 1988. Which also states it's NOT a national Park, the reason being national parks do not have to look after and encourage navigation , the Broads Authority do.

Colregs, the international regulations for the prevention of accidents at sea do not apply on the broads even though the broads are tidal. That causes a few arguments..

Our regs are here.

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/byelaws-and-speed-limits

Inland waterways as in canals have very few sailors but many motorboaters compared to the broads.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

16 hours ago, rockershovel said:

So... these storage costs are added to the cost of generating power at the wrong time, at an excessive cost?

No, no. Poor naif boy. No visible costs of storage because there isn't any/enough.

Thus: because there isn't the required storage capacity for energy but the government needed/wanted to get renewable generation installed, the economics were made to work by paying for the renewable electricity even at times when it wasn't needed and couldn't be stored. I don't know who pays for renewable generation that can't be connected to the grid because the existing connections are insufficient. I have a bad feeling it will be the same.

Changing from an electricity system with relatively few 4GW power stations burning 10GW of coal and dumping 6GW of heat into the atmosphere into one that has very large numbers to 10-1000 kW renewables is a very big, very expensive change, with very little of it apparently started.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

15 hours ago, SM42 said:

The fascinating bit  is how on earth did we get on before the great works of sanitation were built. 

Most of the Victorian sanitation spend was on pipes to move the sh1t out-of-town, and pipes to bring in uncontaminated supplies. That fixed the worst outbreaks of disease caused by using village pumps and wells that were rarely going deeper than 6m. This treatment business to protect the environment mostly started happening (much) later. 1930s to 1970s mostly. Disinfection (in the UK) was driven only by EU Directives (Shellfish, Bathing Beaches) so is almost exclusively coastal, and started this century.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Another day has dawned bright and sunny. If it is anything like yesterday, that will change as soon as I step outside.

Very sunny in Dorset today. We may go and see some trains.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Another day has dawned bright and sunny. If it is anything like yesterday, that will change as soon as I step outside.

Well for those of us who have it overcast can I ask that you stay inside in the hope that we will get some sun.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Well for those of us who have it overcast can I ask that you stay inside in the hope that we will get some sun.

Or go outside so that all the rain is dumped over Hippo Towers and not Bear Towers.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

4 hours ago, DenysW said:

Most of the Victorian sanitation spend was on pipes to move the sh1t out-of-town, and pipes to bring in uncontaminated supplies. That fixed the worst outbreaks of disease caused by using village pumps and wells that were rarely going deeper than 6m. This treatment business to protect the environment mostly started happening (much) later. 1930s to 1970s mostly. Disinfection (in the UK) was driven only by EU Directives (Shellfish, Bathing Beaches) so is almost exclusively coastal, and started this century.

Indeed; but it couldn't be started until the work of collecting the outflow was well advanced 

• Like 4