Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

What exactly is a curiosity centre? Is it somewhere where everything is hidden and you have to poke around to find it?

Dave

… and are there dead cats around?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 13

3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

What exactly is a curiosity centre? Is it somewhere where everything is hidden and you have to poke around to find it?

Dave

I think its the sort of place visited in "Bargain Hunt", thronged with occasional antiques but mainly sub-antiques.

I could be wrong....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4

And is it run by a bloke called Schroedinger?

Dave

If they're his, there will be just as many live cats...

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

An ex bus depot full of stuff, including an original Bassett Lowke mogul in LNER apple green for  £185.  There may be more railway stuff which I have yet to discover.

Nyda had admitted that a trip to a garden is now unlikely.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

And is it run by a bloke called Schroedinger?

Dave

Only on some days.

• Funny 12

If he is in, he may (or may not) be in his office, although Heissenberg in accounts was theorising it was his day off.

(with a degree of certainty) - Emma

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

An ex bus depot full of stuff, including an original Bassett Lowke mogul in LNER apple green for  £185.  There may be more railway stuff which I have yet to discover.

Nyda had admitted that a trip to a garden is now unlikely.

I think we will need more than a week in Dorset to see all the houses and gardens Aditi has mentioned , and she  has just joined yet another old buildings association. I have been good and hosed down the car so we won’t be polluting Dorset’s ecosystem with Essex spiders (they live in the door mirrors). 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Depending on where you are staying depends on whether you need to take a car sponge with you.

We got here Friday and this morning the car was strafed by a gaggle of Messyschitt 109s

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Depending on where you are staying depends on whether you need to take a car sponge with you.

We got here Friday and this morning the car was strafed by a gaggle of Messyschitt 109s

I am glad my car has a  glass rather than a painted roof after what the birds in York dumped on the car last November. It was way beyond  sponge cleaning. We will be  staying within walking distance (whatever that means) of the SW coast path so perhaps there will be gulls. 
Tony

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I think they are into carpet bombing round here judging by the trail of hits leading up to, across and beyond the car. 

I also wonder what they have been eating to produce the concrete like by products they leave. 

I've no doubt, in some cases, altitude is gained  quite quickly and involuntarily when the mother ship is  unburdened.  

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I am glad my car has a  glass rather than a painted roof after what the birds in York dumped on the car last November. It was way beyond  sponge cleaning. We will be  staying within walking distance (whatever that means) of the SW coast path so perhaps there will be gulls. 
Tony

I used to work on the South Coast and the car was frequently dumped on by seagulls.  If I didn't clean it off within a day or two it etched the paint.  Pigeon's "output" has never done that, so there must be something in a seagull's diet.  Probably chips. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Tomorrow we are off to Anglesey for the day and have booked a boat trip to Puffin Island. Jill is fascinated by puffins and keeps trying to draw and paint them but is never satisfied with how she portrays the beaks so maybe inspiration will strike after seeing them in the wild. There is also the promise of fish'nchips before returning home so providing it doesn't rain it should be quite a good day.

Daves

• Like 19

Looks like you'll have a good day for it, not sunny but dry with a gentle westerly breeze.

Thats according to the BBC weather app....

Hope you spot some Puffins!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

There are loads parked up on one of the roads into Southend. I wondered why it was suddenly so popular for campers (it is traditionally a day trip resort) . All the motor caravans have NHS stickers on them. I was told lots of people who work at the hospital live in them. 

According to one article I perused the problem appears to be self inflicted. In that the town council which owns the car parks installed height restriction barriers to stop vans etc from parking, but 'failed to anticipate'- other phrases are available, that camper vans wouldn't also be able to access the carpark. You really can't make this stuff up.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

According to one article I perused the problem appears to be self inflicted. In that the town council which owns the car parks installed height restriction barriers to stop vans etc from parking, but 'failed to anticipate'- other phrases are available, that camper vans wouldn't also be able to access the carpark. You really can't make this stuff up.

Common practice especially in touristy places as some camper owners will use public car parks rather than pay site fees.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick good evening from a cliff top eyrie in Dore, overlooking the bay at the mouth of the river Bourne.  No 1 son and finance are heading home and darling daughter plus wife and one 5 year old SPT. © @Dave Hunt will arrive tomorrow.  We have been somewhat busy.

We did venture into Hampshire on Sunday and went round Beaulieu, which we thorougly enjoyed. 

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Tomorrow we are off to Anglesey for the day and have booked a boat trip to Puffin Island. Jill is fascinated by puffins and keeps trying to draw and paint them but is never satisfied with how she portrays the beaks so maybe inspiration will strike after seeing them in the wild. There is also the promise of fish'nchips before returning home so providing it doesn't rain it should be quite a good day.

Daves

I think Jill might be in for a bit of a shock regarding puffins.20230125_105342.jpg.9d073883b858f0e8d16d74622bf61ba7.jpg

The one in the background is what they look like when they are not in their breeding plumage. The beaks go quite dull.

20230125_105324.jpg

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 7

42 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Common practice especially in touristy places as some camper owners will use public car parks rather than pay site fees.

Yes that was highlighted as well. The issue seems to be lack of joined up thinking really and a lot of 'who cares' by the County Council plus a splash of 'who pays'.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I am now a little confused by references to the British (?) tax system.   If you do not do your own assessment, is it a matter of King John's men coming around and saying, at spearpoint, "This is what you owe." ?

I have to do my own and buy a computer program to process all the data.

I finally logged in to Canada Revenue's message system to read what they sent me. Fortunately, all confirmative messages.   Last year there was a hack of their system and they cancelled everyone's password; I just got around to getting back now.  They compounded it by having the tax department (among others) go on strike just before the deadline. 

• Friendly/supportive 15