Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

We had some spare time in Aulnay this morning in between two physio appointments. It would have been rude not to buy some pastriesvto go with our coffee. Pain chocolate for the boss and a pain raisin for me. 

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

After Dave left, I went in and found that apart from a few crumbs it had vanished.

A good thing PB didn't visit too, otherwise there wouldn't be crumbs left either...

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 1

19 hours ago, polybear said:

When the Real Great Empire at Hatfield was closed in the late 80's the staff in the Canteen had the choice of taking a rather nice redundancy deal (up to 52 weeks money, depending on age and years of service) or going to the (laughable) Mk. 2 Great Empire but working for a different company on the same T's & C's - which a fair few did.

And what happens?  After a year (IIRC) the different company got rid of many (all?) of them on legal minimum redundancy.  What total and utter 'sterds.  

Difficult to feel too much sympathy for anyone who didn't see THAT one coming. Management are not charities. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, Northmoor said:

ISTR my Dad left the water industry at 50 on the legacy (pre-privatisation) redundancy terms.  Within about 18 months, all his former colleagues still working were offered relocation to the Swansea office 50 miles away (so too far for most to commute daily) or redundancy - on new terms nothing like the former public service ones.  Never mind, thank goodness the directors of the water companies didn't have to worry about this sort of thing as after privatisation, their remuneration, pensions etc. improved stratospherically.

It was transparently obvious at the time, from the nature and history of the companies being allowed to bid, that privatisation was an asset-stripping exercise on a scale never seen before, and that the government fully intended this to happen. Destruction of employment rights and security was also government policy. 

This was, remember, the same government which had allowed the looting of the accumulated assets of the Mutual Building Societies by their interpretation of a legal issue which had served as a check on this for many years.

This is why our forthcoming election is so fraught. These issues still plague us; none of these policies have produced solutions. The railways are in chaos; Road maintenance has passed out of any semblance of order. Energy prices are soaring and our rivers flow with filth. 

It's particularly ironic that so much was said at one point, about "Victorian values". The Victorian era was a time when the corruption and nepotism of the 18th century was purged from public life, when huge public works were constructed for the public good. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

The visit to the Muddy Hollow was very pleasant this morning with much gum bashing, liberal amounts of coffee and doorstop portions of an excellent Bara Brith that had just about managed to cool down to room temperature. Among the many topics discussed we did manage to touch on model railways with a fair few trips down nostalgia lane and descriptions of the many layouts that never got built.

And in my defence, I did try to resist a second slice of Bara Brith (possibly somewhat half heartedly I do confess) but it was virtually forced on me; well, he asked twice which really amounts to the same thing doesn't it?

I also collected the wood strips HH had made for my layout's sheerlegs so I've now run out of excuses to get on with it. 

Dave

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

...... Destruction of employment rights and security was also government policy........the same government which had allowed the looting of the accumulated assets of the Mutual Building Societies by their interpretation of a legal issue which had served as a check on this for many years.........these issues still plague us; none of these policies have produced solutions. The railways are in chaos; Road maintenance has passed out of any semblance of order. Energy prices are soaring and our rivers flow with filth. 

It really is time for the revolution and putting a whole raft of people up against the wall. 

Oops! I did say earlier that we should avoid politics didn't I? Sorry about that, I'll be good in future.

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

The chap who is restoring our driveway started a few hours ago. I did realise that it was very dirty and weed encrusted but the bucket loads of detritus he is removing have to be seen to be believed. I dread to think what our water bill will be like. It's a good job we're not in drought conditions.

Dave 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

It really is time for the revolution and putting a whole raft of people up against the wall. 

Oops! I did say earlier that we should avoid politics didn't I? Sorry about that, I'll be good in future.

Dave 

Whaaaat, and spoil the habit of a lifetime?

Carry on being naughty, it's much more fun....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Well M'lud Moderator, it was this Bear that encouraged me so it's all his fault you see. I'm really a quiet and unassuming sort of bloke who hates upsetting people, even GWR modellers, but he leads me astray......

Dave

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A certain Ex Sqn Ldr is far more au fait with GWR locos and their various tender combinations than he would dare to admit in polite circles.

Amazing what one learns by listening politely while being bored to death....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

We've been to church,  we have processed around the local area in the face of an oncoming storm and only got moist rather than drenched. 

Now it's time for buffet food washed down with vodka 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave 

And after banging on at ME for merely mentioning a couple of on-the-hoof manifesto commitments by Windy Rishi...

Words fail me!!!

🤪🤪🤪

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The in laws have left, in the middle of a storm for some reason

Just got to tidy up now. 

Andy

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

The in laws have left, in the middle of a storm for some reason

Just got to tidy up now. 

Andy

I hope they "stormed" out! 🙃

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I hope they "stormed" out! 🙃

Maybe it was because we ran out of vodka. 

Andy

• Like 5
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave 

I was trying to behave myself, Dave, and now you might be about to set me off again.

• Like 7
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Not wishing to get involved in Polly Ticks, here's a reset.

Neither GWR nor maroon. Neutral territory!  It's coming together now.

20240530_1900262.jpg.328ccd149af45d97d10f959000f5fc92.jpg

I think King Arthur might disagree... 🤔

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

The bank I used to work for had its London Training Centre in Kings Cross, not far from the station. Across the road was a rather disreputable-looking pub, which course members used to patronise at lunchtime simply because it was nearest (and - ahem - sometimes had barmaids clothed only from the waist downwards, but it was the 1970s…)

Eventually staff were barred from going in, because it was discovered that the ‘criminal fraternity’ had bugged the seating booths and were listening-in and learning as colleagues used to talk ‘shop’ and compare notes of working practices, giving away useful background for fraudsters. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

About 45 minutes ago another storm approached from the south. 

Looking at an online lightning detector site, it seemed to be heading directly for the airport and then mysteriously turned left. 

It is rather uncanny.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, SM42 said:

About 45 minutes ago another storm approached from the south. 

Looking at an online lightning detector site, it seemed to be heading directly for the airport and then mysteriously turned left. 

It is rather uncanny.

Andy

The Russians are driving it.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 7