Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

PB will be pleased to see that Gordon Ramsay Has created a "Full English" pizza, INCLUDING baked beans...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3ggvrw2jk9o

(scroll down to the Daily Star front page)

Outrage!  🤪😁

So he's added a bit extra to cheese on toast.

Mrs SM42 has headed out to the hairdressers. 

Estimated time of completion: 1500hrs

I therefore have a free morning till my haircut appointment at 1245hrs.

Estimate time of arrival at model shop afterwards, 1345hrs. 

It will take a bit longer today to get between the two as there is a tram replacement bus service  running due to a large gap in the track where it is being renewed.

Meanwhile a leisurely breakfast will be taken followed by general lounging around. 

At 23c already it's too hot to do much else.

Andy

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

GR probably got his Maserati or Lamborghini clamped by the local Caribiniere whilst in Italy and a “Full English Pizza” is his way of exacting revenge.

Despite his protests to the contrary, he is definitely “extracting the urine” with that pizza

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

If you must have a machine to do the dishes (and remember that when the machines rise up against us it will be the domestic appliances that are in the vanguard) and you must have grandchildren visiting, surely a good way to keep them occupied would be to have them load and unload the dishwasher? Hours of fun.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

If you must have a machine to do the dishes (and remember that when the machines rise up against us it will be the domestic appliances that are in the vanguard) and you must have grandchildren visiting, surely a good way to keep them occupied would be to have them load and unload the dishwasher? Hours of fun.

Training for Modern Domestic Service....

Better not tell Rishi, it'll become another Manifesto pledge!

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Goodness, those grandchildren are spoilt, aren’t they?

My Grandparents had a very different approach. Their usual “day with the grandkids” was:

• Turf grandkids off the straw at 05:00
  • Distribute old bread and dripping for grandkids breakfast
  • Fill thermos flask with cold tea (sweetened if they could be bothered) Put some more old bread and dripping in a tin - give to grandkids
  • 06:00 dump grandkids at pithead
  • 07:00 Early hot breakfast “for grownups” (sausages, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, fried slice, hot tea etc)
  • 08:00 -09:00 read newspapers
  • 09:00 -18:00 at leisure
  • 18:00 collect grandkids from pithead.
  • 18:00 distribute stale bread and hard cheese to grandkids
  • 19:00 give grandkids their teddies and pack them off to the barn to sleep
  • 19:30 cocktails followed by a modest four course dinner and an evening at leisure (cigars and whisky optional)
  • 23:00 to bed

Rinse and repeat!

Straw? Luxury!...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Stale bread: luxury: that way lies indulgency.

Up at 5am; start work at 6am?  Middle of the day.......

• Funny 9

Extracted from the BBC summary of the national papers:  'Writing for the Telegraph, the chief financial secretary to the Treasury, says the plan to automatically raise the threshold at which they start paying income tax each year means pensioners will "never" pay income tax under the Conservatives.' 

Interesting.  This is the party, whose machinations over the last 14 years mean the marginal tax rate on my pensions is now 40%.  Presumably "never" doesn't mean never.

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

The sidle up (run up would seem to be far too suggestive of something worthwhile) to the forthcoming election seems to be taking its usual course of promises made on the hoof that would obviously be side stepped as soon as possible and accusing everyone else of the incompetence, fibbing etc. that is endemic at Westminster anyway. 

I have a plea. Since the media is and will be full of political drivel for the foreseeable future, can we here on TNM concentrate instead on other matters that may help me to retain what sanity I have left?

Dave

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

25 minutes ago, bbishop said:

automatically raise the threshold at which they start paying income tax each year means pensioners will "never" pay income tax under the Conservatives.' 

Interesting. 

To be clear, I think they mean in line with the State Pension, not all everybody else's pension income, but they want you to read it as the latter.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Following on from Dave's comment, could I please have some sensible suggestions on the sort of gradient I can get 009 locos to climb, without either spinning to a stop or emitting smoke and sparks from the non functioning chimney?

Ideally, I'd want the line to cross over itself in a figure of eight style arrangement on a radius of around 12".

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

A storm warning text has been received here. 

It says

Alert RCB: Warning! Storms, strong wind, heavy rainfall and hail expected today (28.05). During the storm, seek shelter.

No annoying alarm sound that you can't turn off. 

Just the normal text alert that my phone is set at. 

Hopefully I will be home before the atmosphere does its thing. 

I'd hate to be trapped in a model shop. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

On dishwashers, it is my experience that women are generally and possibly congenitally  unable to load a dishwasher efficiently and effectively. Invariably if Jill loads our dishwasher I rearrange things and thus am able to fit far more things in and in such a manner that there is a far better chance of them being cleaned. Maybe the idea of letting children learn how to go about the process at a young age would be beneficial?

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have a plea. Since the media is and will be full of political drivel for the foreseeable future, can we here on TNM concentrate instead on other matters that may help me to retain what sanity I have left?

Sorry, its just that the proposals for National Service and Tax Allowance indexing for pensioners seemed to be a pairing beyond sanity to appeal to elderly folk....

I, for one, will be good henceforth.  🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Dave Hunt said:

On dishwashers, it is my experience that women are generally and possibly congenitally  unable to load a dishwasher efficiently and effectively. Invariably if Jill loads our dishwasher I rearrange things and thus am able to fit far more things in and in such a manner that there is a far better chance of them being cleaned. Maybe the idea of letting children learn how to go about the process at a young age would be beneficial?

Dave

I want serviceable crockery at the end of their visit, not a series of jigsaw puzzles

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, AndyID said:

HI Neil,

How do you make the 500V DC?

As it's the IOM I'm slightly surprised its not three-phase. I mean, two on the rails and one on the overhead 😆

Ah, they'd never be able to control themselves, thyristors weren't invented in 1893.

It's not the same as it was DC wise either, the mercury-arc rectifiers are now out of service in Laxey, shame.

This is a shot of them on their last day in, err, arc.

P1160408(2).JPG.5ed7f5cffa3522e0dbfc60fae0e8be5c.JPG

I was never sure about emissions from those things, I know it's leaded glass, but....

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Following on from Dave's comment, could I please have some sensible suggestions on the sort of gradient I can get 009 locos to climb, without either spinning to a stop or emitting smoke and sparks from the non functioning chimney?

Ideally, I'd want the line to cross over itself in a figure of eight style arrangement on a radius of around 12".

Sounds like one of CJ Freezers favourite "rabbit warren" layouts.  Pity he's no longer around....

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mrs SM42 is very territorial when it comes to the dishwasher. 

Visiting friends have been shouted at for putting things in the wrong place.

I try to stay away  but am allowed some slack, so the odd cup or plate is added and I'm  allowed to empty it.

Emptying normally means emptying the water out of various cups, bowls and other containers that have been placed in right way up. 🙄

Andy

• Like 4
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ah, they'd never be able to control themselves, thyristors weren't invented in 1893.

It's not the same as it was DC wise either, the mercury-arc rectifiers are now out of service in Laxey, shame.

This is a shot of them on their last day in, err, arc.

P1160408(2).JPG.5ed7f5cffa3522e0dbfc60fae0e8be5c.JPG

I was never sure about emissions from those things, I know it's leaded glass, but....

Looks like something from "Quatermass and the Pit"*....

* Close railway** link too!

** Strange thing discovered while excavating a Tube extension in the mid-50's. LT would have used MARs back then...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

The flat has been prepared for forthcoming weather events. 

I'm about to head out into the oven. 

Cloud is starting to bubble up.

See you later. 

Andy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

……could I please have some sensible suggestions on the sort of gradient I can get 009 locos to climb, without either spinning to a stop or emitting smoke and sparks from the non functioning chimney?

I don’t know about 009 but in 7mm I have been surprised at the ability of even my little 0-4-0Ts to push four or five coal wagons up the (scale) incline to the coaling stage on my layout.

As seen here:

IMG_0132.jpeg.0f25503ef6546e8c6bccf1428c157223.jpeg

(The LNWR stuff belongs to Mike Osborne and the industrials are mine that are still awaiting a proper home)

I suppose that the greater mass of 7mm locos may help of course.

Dave

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Stop Press:

Lib Dems to announce official enquiry into Midland Railway Small Engine Policy in their forthcoming Election Manifesto.

Really, I do think they would do better focusing their efforts in yellow engine territory (also blue engine territory) than trying to assail the red wall.

Double-heading is simply the engines' way of saying: vote early, vote often.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12