Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Believe me that the last thing the RAF will want is twelve months national servicemen in its ranks. The chances of any of them reaching a useful degree of knowledge and training in under twelve months so they could be of use for any appreciable time is about the same as a whelk in a supernova and all it would do would be to take up the time and effort, as well as funds, from those who can be of much better use.

My father was one of the last generation of National Servicemen. After Basic Training, he was posted to RAF Valley, where (being in civilian life a librarian) he was allocated a mundane clerical job. At the end of his service, he said to his commanding officer, who is going to do this job once you've got no more National Servicemen to do it? To which the reply was, Oh we'll probably stop doing it, it wasn't really worth doing anyway. So, six months of my life wasted, thinks my father. He said National Service only taught one lesson: never volunteer. Is that a good and proper thing to be teaching young men (and women) who one wants to turn into good citizens?

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Knowing that the party is inevitably going to lose is perhaps the opportunity to write the manifesto that you've always wanted to write but couldn't because you knew it would alienate the majority. (It's the sort of thing Labour has come close to doing on occasion!)

That’s the theme of “The Candidate” starring Robert Redford. (Spoiler - he wins!)

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I see it as an opportunity to carry out some much needed crimson lake missionary work in this heathen (Greasy Wet and Rusty) part of the country Bear.

Dave

And scoff free Cake.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Believe me that the last thing the RAF will want is twelve months national servicemen in its ranks. The chances of any of them reaching a useful degree of knowledge and training in under twelve months so they could be of use for any appreciable time is about the same as a whelk in a supernova and all it would do would be to take up the time and effort, as well as funds, from those who can be of much better use.

Dave

Agreed, there is no way they could even trim the edges of the cricket pitch with scissors, let alone brushing the parade square with their toothbrushes.

As for painting all the coal stocks white to prevent theft.....

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I see it as an opportunity to carry out some much needed crimson lake missionary work in this heathen (Greasy Wet and Rusty) part of the country Bear.

Dave

Such dedication is much appreciated, especially as we've no one to bate having run the JW and Mormons out of town.

• Like 4
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

I see conscription as utterly out of step with the way society has changed in the UK. When it was abolished more than 60 years ago, societal behaviour was much more consensual, not unrelated to the fact that so many had come through a long war in which people really did have to pull together. And the military was still far more numerous, and set up to take reluctant teens and turn them into something almost useful, as had been going on since that conflict. The average teen these days is much more empowered and has opinions, many of which would be at considerable odds with traditional military values based upon discipline and obedience. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Agreed, there is no way they could even trim the edges of the cricket pitch with scissors, let alone brushing the parade square with their toothbrushes.

As for painting all the coal stocks white to prevent theft.....

The last bit is simple. 

Open coal store door. 

Throw in bucket or two of whitewash. 

Worked for railway wagons over here. 

Andy

• Funny 12

Good afternoon folks,

My dad was allowed to complete his apprenticeship at the age of 21 before being called up for National Service.

He always related that if he signed up for 5 years he got paid more than those who did the 2 years.

After those 5 years as an engine fitter on Avro Lincolns he then joined Rolls Royce and never looked back.

He always referred to the RAF as "The Mob" , not to be confused with the Sicilian brotherhood 😂

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 12
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Instead of National Service it would be better to bring back the YTS (Youth Training Scheme). I was involved with it as part of my job but only on the edges. The London Borough I worked for employed a brilliant group to run the scheme. They had the interests of the young people on the scheme at heart which was the main idea. Their first job was to find placements for the youngsters which IMHO they did brilliantly. Most of them went to different council departments and some even ended up having careers with the council. For example the building maintenance department took on a considerable number many of which went on to apprenticeships with the department. In fact the vast majority of trainees got a career from the training scheme. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I managed about 3 hours of train watching today and also had an air show put on by Poland's finest. 

F16s taking off and a helicopter gunship fly past. 

Meanwhile at ground level, the usual procession of EMUs and 3 freight trains interspersed with some SM42 action shunting the container terminal provided the entertainment between the aircraft displays.

It's been 28c today and clouds started to bubble up, so I decided to run for home ahead of the rain.

It got very windy for while and a few drops fell, but the airport weather ray seems to be working and it all mysteriously passed us ( and the nearby airport)  by, despite looking like a sure fire deluge was coming our way. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Has any Army, Navy or Air Force in the world ever become an improved fighting force, with the addition of conscripts?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The average teen these days is much more empowered and has opinions, many of which would be at considerable odds with traditional military values based upon discipline and obedience. 

Sounds like the teachings of an old-school RSM would do them the power of good....

• Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Has any Army, Navy or Air Force in the world ever become an improved fighting force, with the addition of conscripts?

South Korea......

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

10 hours ago, AndyID said:

That's an interesting point. Can I vote in the UK elections? I suspect the answer is no because I have not lived there for 42 years but I'm still a UK citizen 🤔

Here you go:

IMG_2742.jpeg.b869f88ad6e535aa7ea6a4fe170f1f9e.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

1 minute ago, pH said:

Here you go:

IMG_2742.jpeg.b869f88ad6e535aa7ea6a4fe170f1f9e.jpeg

Wow! Thanks. Not sure I would have any idea who to vote for so I'll probably pass 😀

• Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, polybear said:

Sounds like the teachings of an old-school RSM would do them the power of good....

I'm sure that is what the party's policy wonk hopes you will think. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Wow! Thanks. Not sure I would have any idea who to vote for so I'll probably pass 😀

Vote Bear.  You know it makes sense......

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

1 minute ago, polybear said:

Will they let you into the polling station like that?

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Last time Dave bought extra supplies of cake with him!

This is a supreme example of an unsubtle hint as befits the Prince of Pachyderms.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, polybear said:

Is that for the Curly Fries, Pizza and Cake Party?

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

When hippos rule the world, we will will apply our considerable weight to the issue of the earth not being flat.

By the time we have finished stamping and rolling around, it will be!

Are trying to flatten the Earth or make pastry??????

Hat, Coat, Gone back to Romania 

Paul

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Is that for the Curly Fries, Pizza and Cake Party?

Dave

I'm on board for that PARTY!!!!

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Instead of National Service it would be better to bring back the YTS (Youth Training Scheme).

We had one of those at work.  He referred to himself as a Young Teenage Slave.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Funny 14