Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 hours ago, pH said:

The best, though, was the clip shown behind the description of Lenin’s embalmed body being removed to Siberia as German forces neared Moscow. Apparently, the train carrying the body was headed by a GWR Castle. Who knew?

Re-gauged no doubt.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Re-gauged no doubt.

I think the fact that they got the Battle of Britain wrong should have been a good indicator that research wasn't there strongest influence. I'm surprised they didn't include a few dinosaurs because they were around right up to 1930's weren't they.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I watched 'Beyond Paradise' earlier this evening, FYI it was filmed on the Dart Valley Railway and featured GWR Prairie 5527.

I've recorded it for "later". How risible was the plot?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I think the fact that they got the Battle of Britain wrong should have been a good indicator that research wasn't there strongest influence.

Nothing to do with research. To many people in North America, UK/GB/England are completely interchangeable terms. It can really tick off those of us who came from UK/GB, but not England.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I watched 'Beyond Paradise' earlier this evening, FYI it was filmed on the Dart Valley Railway and featured GWR Prairie 5527.

I missed that because I'm not a fan of horror movies.

Dave

• Funny 12

46 minutes ago, pH said:

Nothing to do with research. To many people in North America, UK/GB/England are completely interchangeable terms. It can really tick off those of us who came from UK/GB, but not England.

Not just North America. On one occasion a very English taxi driver in Oxford asked me if I'd had a rough crossing on the ferry coming over from Scotland 🤣

• Funny 16

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Not just North America. On one occasion a very English taxi driver in Oxford asked me if I'd had a rough crossing on the ferry coming over from Scotland 🤣

Possible if it was Scotland to Scotland. For example:

- Utter He-brides to the mainland

- Dunoon to Gourock

- Yoker to Renfrew

or, in former times

- Partick to Govan

- Old Kirkpatrick to Erskine

Etc., etc. …

😁

Edited by pH
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've recorded it for "later". How risible was the plot?

It involved an amateur acting group playing a murder mystery where the 'victim' is actually murdered (on the train).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

I could get back on course for Antwerp. 

I was rather pleased I had registered my car with Antwerp’s version of ULEZ as we got diverted off the motorway into the city on our way home from Germany a few years ago. 

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

13 minutes ago, pH said:

Possible if it was Scotland to Scotland. For example:

- Utter He-brides to the mainland

- Dunoon to Gourock

- Yoker to Renfrew

or, in former times

- Partick to Govan

- Old Kirkpatrick to Erskine

Etc., etc. …

😁

I went to school in Paisley with a guy who lived in Renfrew who had never been further North than  Yoker :)

I was born at home in Renfrew. My mum used to put my oldest brother in the pram and walk down to the ferry. She bought a ticket and sat on the ferry for an hour or two while it chugged back and forward across the river. 😄

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Well, the Tweed can be quite rough at times.

Dave

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I've also been congratulated here for speaking pretty good English :)

My Dad was once told by a New York cab driver that, "For a foreigner you speak pretty good English."

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

A lot of people's knowledge of their own country's geography, let another another's, is pretty dismal.  My wife watches "House of Games" every night and the round ("Where is Kazakhstan") where contestants stick a pin in the map for a given location, shows how this even afflicts people like TV presenters and stand-up comedians, who you would think had travelled the country and so might know where some landmarks and famous locations are?

Mind you, Bill Bryson wrote that British people believe all other countries fall into three categories: the USA and Canada which are just off the coast of Ireland, some European countries which are all lined up about 20 miles off the English coast, while all others are entirely fictional or can only be reached by spaceship.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12