Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Not for the first time, Torbay Hospital get 10/10 for effort and attitude, local surgery pathetically inept. 

Torbay Trivia - the hospital was designed by Charles Holden, of London Transport fame. 

VSBT's;  it's things like this that make people by-pass their GP's entirely and go straight to A&E, whether appropriate or not.

• Agree 13

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

go straight to A&E

You wouldn't want to go ours, major hospital, wait in A&E up to 12 hours, average currently 6 hours, then 24 hours wait for admission, every corridor is jam packed with poor souls on trolleys. It's appalling, why don't ministers visit to have a look, because they're scared of what they will find - disgraceful.

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Sherry has had a swollen ring-finger

First of all, I hope Sherry is feeling better now the ring has gone. Aditi hasn’t worn her wedding ring for over 40 years now after it got a bit squashed. She isn’t really bothered. However it did bother one of her colleagues. He said it was “wrong” for married women not to wear a ring as they could lead men astray. He was an Anglican clergyman who had started lecturing at the college after losing his curate job. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

He said it was “wrong” for married women not to wear a ring as they could lead men astray. 

And vice-versa of course. I usually take my wedding ring off when I go to the supermarket, after the time I nearly lost - it slips off all to easily when my fingers get cold - but I have to say I haven't been mobbed by female shoppers.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

First of all, I hope Sherry is feeling better now the ring has gone. Aditi hasn’t worn her wedding ring for over 40 years now after it got a bit squashed. She isn’t really bothered. However it did bother one of her colleagues. He said it was “wrong” for married women not to wear a ring as they could lead men astray. He was an Anglican clergyman who had started lecturing at the college after losing his curate job. 

When Momma Bear was in Hospital in 2010 she was about to undergo a procedure/operation to hopefully help her breath more easily 😢; the Nurse said "would you like me to tape your wedding ring, or are you happy to remove it?"  Momma Bear removed it and gave it to me; after the Nurse had gone she said to me "That's not a wedding ring, that's MY ring...."

My Aunt told me sometime later that she didn't know what had happened to Momma Bear's Wedding Ring, but she knew what happened to her Engagement Ring.....

"It's at the bottom of the River Lea - cos' that's where she chucked it....."  😆

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, pH said:

Had he lost anything else? Like his common sense?

At the next (and last) college Aditi worked at he might have got in trouble. There seemed to be a culture of complaining and involving disciplinary procedures. Aditi was once reported to a disciplinary committee by a colleague (same team, same role) for  “embarrassing her, making her look stupid”. The “colleague’ had asked her to look over an Excel Spreadsheet she had developed for team use. Aditi looked,at it, made a few comments using the Excel comment feature. She also a couple of other colleagues if she had missed anything. Aditi returned the spreadsheet with comments. To the original colleague, who at the next team meeting presented the original spreadsheet and said Aditi had looked at it and returned it unaltered. Somebody else said they had seen it and read Aditi’s comments. Hence the complaint of embarrassment and “making her look stupid”. The poor line manager had to deal with this and said it was not a disciplinary offence. But he asked Aditi to apologise and much to his surprise she said “No”. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

My wedding ring comes off before any manual work.  Ony made the mistake once when moving  a sofa.

As we got wed in the motherland, it is also on my right hand, 

I look single here, swap it to the left over there and I'm single again

Only problem is it doesn't fit on the left, too loose.

Taking it off before any sort of task can occasionally lead to it going AWOL.

Last time I lost it, it was eventually  found on top of a kitchen wall unit. 

I'd got to the top of the step ladder when I realised I still had it on, so took it off and put it somewhere safe. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I also don’t were my wedding ring when doing any sort of manual work. When I was an apprentice, I almost lost a finger due to wearing a ring, thankfully, it was one that I’d made from a piece stainless steel strip, so there was a small gap underneath it. When it snagged on something, I was jerked backwards and the ring came off, leaving me flat on my back. I never found the ring. 

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

I also don’t were my wedding ring when doing any sort of manual work. When I was an apprentice, I almost lost a finger due to wearing a ring, thankfully, it was one that I’d made from a piece stainless steel strip, so there was a small gap underneath it. When it snagged on something, I was jerked backwards and the ring came off, leaving me flat on my back. I never found the ring. 

Nasty things are rings in incidents.  I once had to transport a deglovrd fi ger from an incident scene to the hospital.  The owner was climbing out of a stadium and slipped and his ring caught on the top of the fence.  For some obscure reason a policewoman refused to do that job. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

14 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Nasty things are rings in incidents.  I once had to transport a deglovrd fi ger from an incident scene to the hospital.  The owner was climbing out of a stadium and slipped and his ring caught on the top of the fence.  For some obscure reason a policewoman refused to do that job. 

Jamie

I know the police have there on lingo but what pray  tell is a 'deglovrd' when it's at home or away for that matter.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I know the police have there on lingo but what pray  tell is a 'deglovrd' when it's at home or away for that matter.

Degloved, which I better not explain in detail. 

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Rings are as bad as wearing earrings during sports like rugby or football  ( lad at school went from pierced to slotted ear in a rugby game) or what really makes me cringe are people with long hair, not tied back securely,  operating machinery. 

Usually seen in some corporate photo shoot, but unfortunately also seen in reality. 

I always feel those photos encourage bad habits, rather like Hollywood films make people think a cardboard box or  two will stop a high velocity round. 

Andy 

• Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

Again, when I was an apprentice in the training centre, I along with many others had long(ish) hair. We had the option of either getting our hair cut, wearing a hair net or putting it into a ponytail, I chose the latter. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

One of the first things that we were taught at the Naval College was the dangers of wearing jewellery onboard ship. The presentation was accompanied by suitable photographs of injuries which seemed to have the desired effect. I am still scrupulous about taking my wedding ring off if there’s the slightest chance of snagging. On one deployment, I completely forgot to take my wedding ring with me and have never been allowed to forget it!

Mrs FW has hyper mobility syndrome and one of the effects is a tendency for her fingers to swell (especially in our current tropical climate). She tends to wear her wedding and engagement rings on a chain around her neck. Nobody has ever commented on this, even when she was working for churches.

• Like 14

37 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I have a bad habit of mislaying the key for my truck. I'm considering getting one of those nose ring thingies so I can hang the truck key from it.

We want pictures!

• Agree 5
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, SM42 said:

Rings are as bad as wearing earrings during sports like rugby or football  ( lad at school went from pierced to slotted ear in a rugby game) or what really makes me cringe are people with long hair, not tied back securely,  operating machinery. 

Usually seen in some corporate photo shoot, but unfortunately also seen in reality. 

I always feel those photos encourage bad habits, rather like Hollywood films make people think a cardboard box or  two will stop a high velocity round. 

Andy 

A quick google for "lathe accidents" isn't for the faint-hearted.....

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Degloved, which I better not explain in detail. 

Jamie

The main problem was what to transport the object in.  I ended up using one of the plastic bags that we carried for Fixed Penalty notices. 

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 10

28 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Do don't think I'm serious?

Oh, I quite believe you’re serious. We just want the yuks 🤪!

• Funny 9