Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I also came from a musical family.

We all studied under the tutelage of Josef Pujol.

Very subtle, sir, very subtle! 😆

Can only imagine you are referencing the brass family of instruments, as most kids think players are “blowing raspberries” into the mouthpiece! 😉🤣

Although in Monsieur Pujol’s case, the embouchure was not ideally placed to actually play an instrument! 😉

HOURS OF F…..UN!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I've also discovered that the wonderful sounds I hear when I sing are not what everyone else hears.

I missed this when reading before…

When we hear ourselves speaking or singing, we actually hear our own voice mainly through bone transduction to our ears via our jaw bone and skull, with only a fraction being via our ears (which of course also modify the sound waves as the folds of our ears ‘scoop’ sound into the ear canal). 

When we listen to recordings of ourselves speaking (or singing) we hear our own voices differently, as now the sound reaches us almost entirely through the air to our ears. Most people cringe when they hear themselves.

Remember, though, that even then we do not hear ourselves as others hear us, as the sound we receive has been modified and shaped by our own ears! 

If a recording of a live musical performance sounds okay, it would have sounded good in real life. If it sounds good, it would have sounded great, and if it sounds great it would have been absolutely amazing heard live! Because recordings are limited firstly by the microphone recording the sound and then by the speaker producing the sound and then by our own ears! (This also explains those performances on TV talent shows when the TV audience at home goes “meh” and the studio audience and judges go wild!)

So in all likelihood @BR60103 your singing was/is better than you think!

(Unless you are my ex-SiL, who really couldn’t carry a tune even in a galvanised bucket)

HOURS OF MUSICAL FUN!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The bugle still plays a decorative role.

It sIts on a shelf gathering dust. 

Its chance of playing anything else are severely limited by its proximity to the residents of SM42 Towers and their lack of talent. 

Meanwhile I have one more night shift to complete this week and I  won't be sad to see the back of it. 

It's been an absolute grueller of a week. 

Andy

A man barely awake

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

God forbid she played a rusty trombone*! 🫢

Hat, coat, exit stage left in shame…

Steve S

* A few years ago a trumpeter friend referenced this and when I didn’t get the joke suggested I looked it up on an ‘urban dictionary’. For those of a nervous disposition, don’t… you have been warned!

I can imagine what it might say. 

I'll pass on looking it up and make my own jokes. 

Andy

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

On 10/02/2024 at 11:54, bbishop said:

Woke up to sunshine, so put a wash on.  Cycle finished but there is now mizzle in SE London.

What to do this afternoon?  I can't watch the Rugby because Wales always lose when I watch.  So I need to find some distraction, perhaps build some cassettes for the fiddle yard?

20 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

A couple of cliffhanger games in today's six nations. A shame that Scotland didn't finish the job against Frogland but at least England did finish the job against Wales  - it was a bit tight though. I could hear the howl from the Muddy Hollow at the whistle.

Dave 

20 hours ago, bbishop said:

Oh sh1t

So you spent the afternoon in a cold, damp shed for nothing?

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

3 hours ago, SM42 said:

I can imagine what it might say. 

I'll pass on looking it up and make my own jokes. 

Andy

I was tempted into looking it up. I do wish I hadn’t; I don’t think I can un-see that in my mind’s eye now …

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Played a little piano when very young, then violin at grammar school without any great success.  I have an issue with reading how music is written, keys and sharps and flats, my brain wants the actual note shown, not addended with some funny sign. Sometimes.  So if the actual note required is shown you don't need keys. So my head says anyway!  I love music of nearly all types (not opera) and would like to be able to play something, but need to learn a different way somehow.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Was it her dexterity in manipulating the slide that attracted him?

Or her embrochure?

Just asking!

I have been told that regular playing of a brass instrument does wonders for the muscles in the lips.  I couldn't possibly comment. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

I have been told that regular playing of a brass instrument does wonders for the muscles in the lips.  I couldn't possibly comment. 

Jamie

A gentleman certainly wouldn't...

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A gentleman certainly wouldn't...

I have been called many different things at various times in my life including gentleman,  I was once racially abused by being called an effing English barstewrd.  I was sitting on the caller, who was Irish, at the time lashing his ankles together with a leather belt. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Happy Hippo said:

Blow his own Trumpet?

I sincerely hope not!

You would have to be uniquely flexible to do so.  I have heard that certain performers have ribs removed to achieve the feat.

Allegedly.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

So in all likelihood @BR60103 your singing was/is better than you think!

It can't be better than I think, but I have been told differently.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I have been called many different things at various times in my life including gentleman,  I was once racially abused by being called an effing English barstewrd.  I was sitting on the caller, who was Irish, at the time lashing his ankles together with a leather belt. 

Did he have to pay extra for that bit?

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

I watched the Ireland v Italy match this afternoon.  The result was a foregone conclusion, but the pre match anthems where both were really well sung by a professional singer, followed by an 8 year old lad who sang his socks off, left me very disappointed, no in fact, really annoyed.

Not for the Irish RFU, but for the English RFU the previous afternoon!

Yesterday they had a singer for 'God save the King', but I felt they were rude by not giving the Welsh team and fans the same courtesy by having the singer perform Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Tomorrow, we are off to Reading for a few days.

Tasking today is cleaning, as I am not permitted to return to a less than perfect house.

I have already removed the compost bin to the top of the garden, and swept the kitchen floor.

Luncheon has been announced, so afterwards,  I suspect a complete revision of the tasking requirements to include getting out suitcases

I must say HH Nyda is very understanding/progressive- delete as appropriate, in letting you keep a compost bin in the kitchen. Doesn't she object when you turn the compost over every couple of months.

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

We have a compost bin in our kitchen, which is only about two litres capacity and is emptied every couple of days into the big compost wheelie bin outside. It must be admitted that it's rate of emptying did increase when our old Labrador, Sam, passed away; he was a remarkably adept composting machine on legs.

Dave 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

I must say HH Nyda is very understanding/progressive- delete as appropriate, in letting you keep a compost bin in the kitchen. Doesn't she object when you turn the compost over every couple of months.

Ha ha. We have now discovered the secret heating method for the hippodrome.  The heat from the compost bin is used. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I watched the Ireland v Italy match this afternoon.  The result was a foregone conclusion.....

Agreed but I don't think that Italy played as well as they did last week, even allowing for the fact that Ireland were far better than England.

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

.....Yesterday they had a singer for 'God save the King', but I felt they were rude by not giving the Welsh team and fans the same courtesy by having the singer perform Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

Possibly in recognition that Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau is a tuneful and stirring refrain that when sung by a large number of Welsh voices makes God Save the King sound like the dirge that it is and needs something like an amplified professional singer to try to raise it to an equivalent level (which IMHO it still failed to do). 

Dave

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I do play the pipe organ:

202326marMeattheBethelpipeorgan-01.jpg.8e3551944b8c2fd940503b2c65e104a4.jpg

202326marMeattheBethelpipeorgan-02.jpg.08464258108c1929f6e3de58807750e6.jpg

However just the Winchester chimes and the chiming of the hour (starts the service) when the regular organist has to do the prelude on the piano.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

I used to play in Slaidburn Silver Band - is that the same?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Ha ha. We have now discovered the secret heating method for the hippodrome.  The heat from the compost bin is used. 

Jamie

That's why he has to keep turning it else the heat goes off.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6