Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Milliput is great for reprofiling. Aditi asked if I could repair a terracotta strawberry pot and I said why not get a new one until she told me how much the damaged one had cost. 

The amount of Milliput required for our kitchen skirting would be rather more than a few tubes and would be quite costly as well as a PITA to shape.

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

How on earth did the Mohel from a past post suddenly become involved?

You mean you can't put your finger on it?

Dave

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The amount of Milliput required for our kitchen skirting would be rather more than a few tubes and would be quite costly as well as a PITA to shape.

Dave

We are lucky, the builders didn’t bother with skirting behind the kitchen units. There were some gaps. I stuffed them with steel wool and expanding foam after we had an uninvited small furry visitor sampling stuff stuff in our under sink bin. 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, SM42 said:

It appears I may have sacrificed some blood to the god of work. 

Andy

If ever some future archeologists investigate our en suite bathroom they might probably assume some sort of blood ritual had been involved in the construction . And that was long before I started taking anti coagulants. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

37 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

That can't be Polish Andy. There are far too many colours on his overall - there should really only be Fresh Flour surely.

Dave

Too much hair as well.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Too much hair as well.

I was hoping no-one would mention that. 

I appear to have lost weight too. 

Good.

No need for the diet. 

Release the chocolates.

Andy

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I was hoping no-one would mention that. 

I appear to have lost weight too. 

Good.

No need for the diet. 

Release the chocolates.

Andy

You'll only be fooling yourself.

I invested in one of those fairground mirrors....

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You'll only be fooling yourself.

I invested in one of those fairground mirrors....

I think I  got the one that makes you look fat

Andy

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SM42 said:

Mrs SM42 is buying me dinner. 

She has a voucher for the local pub apparently. 

I can't help thinking there is an ulterior motive in play. 

Andy

You're booked to repaint the pub?

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

You're booked to repaint the pub?

It wouldn't surprise me. 

We are going back next week. 

Better take my brushes 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

This morning was my x-monthly visit for my spine to encounter a large needle.

It took him a couple of goes to get near the required spot.

The local anaesthetic helps, but I had to have the local twice.......

I feel like a pincushion.

Hopefully, the benefits will be felt over the next 6-9 months.

Although - I have now finished my cycle of injections and will be referred back to my local pain management clinic. It is possible that I will end up with the same treatment after a review.

Also - the procedure was carried out quite locally at a private hospital under the auspices of the NHS. The private hospital is no longer doing them, but I can possibly get it continued at a local NHS establishment - and it's highly likely it'll be the same consultant.

So I ended up WFH for the afternoon. I managed to make a break from the PC screen coincide with this passing my door! (I have posted elsewhere but it's too good not to repeat)

(I regularly see this train at work, but it's downhill there - this is uphill - about 1:120)

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I hear bleats about the nation requiring to introduce national service.

I have one question to ask:

Where are you going to house the influx of new recruits?

Because there is not much spare military accommodation available any more. And a lot of what there is pretty substandard.  The guys from the Royal Irish Rifles at Tern Hill live in portacabins because the large ex RAF barrack blocks are falling down.

By the time the MoD get their act together, combined  with the time it would take to purchase the real estate back from developers and then build accommodation blocks etc, the initial recruits will be drawing their pensions.

Unless of course the big cunning plan to let them train via zoom meetings and then work from home.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Because there is not much spare military accommodation available any more. And a lot of what there is pretty substandard.  The guys from the Royal Irish Rifles at Tern Hill live in portacabins because the large 3 x RAF barrack blocks are falling down.

By the time the MoD get their act together, combined  with the time it would take to purchase the real estate back from developers and then build accommodation blocks etc, the initial recruits will be drawing their pensions.

Unless of course the big cunning plan to let them train via zoom meetings and then work from home.

So thats why they're packing all the asylum seekers off to Rwanda, to free up all the military barracks? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Because there is not much spare military accommodation available any more. And a lot of what there is pretty substandard.  The guys from the Royal Irish Rifles at Tern Hill live in portacabins because the large 3 x RAF barrack blocks are falling down.

Do what they did for the RAF in 1939

Give em tents. 

I'm not so sure any buying back would go on, but there will need to be a lot new  cars moved off runways and the strategic reserve will be called back from Hendon and Duxford. 

I think the plan for the army is to WFH in a guerilla style campaign 

The Navy? 

Well there's HMS Belfast and what they can find lying around Chatham. 

I'm sure the new recruits will soon get the hang of it

Andy

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Argh yes I remember it well. Me, pater and mamar would toddle down in the old Bentley from the Smoke to be greeted by the old retainer Polish Andy. Having had our thirteen course supper we'd climb the stairs where our freshly made beds awaited us. Surfacing from the land of nod we'd scamper down stairs where the old retainer would be there to serve us our gourmet breakfast of kippers, bacon, fried eggs, snorkers, devils kidneys, fried tomatoes and baked beans.

Those were the days.

You think you had it tough! ...

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

For those of you who haven't seen Polish Andy in action....

_059cc7eb-3991-4f9a-8078-d12e847edab4.jpg.cb74fe0162a8bb14b687e11e65bbb6d2.jpg

No one noticed the mis-spelled word? 🙃 And the handle that seems to end at the guy's arm?

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Funny 1

24 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

No one noticed the mis-spelled word? 🙃 And the handle that seems to end at the guy's arm?

I most definitely did.

I use Bing to create the AI generated images and I’m starting to wonder whether or not these sort of errors are deliberately programmed in (e.g. changing “Fresh Flour” to “Fresh Fouir”). There’s a lot in the media about how AI generated “deep fakes” can be totally indistinguishable from the real thing. Perhaps AI generated images from a public platform like Bing are intentionally a little “off” to prevent “Joe Public” from creating very convincing images of politicians and public “personalities” in flagrante delicto (so to speak).

A really convincing AI generated deep fake of a politician or a public personality doing something wrong (a “something” that everyone suspects that happened but have no evidence for) could certainly do untold amounts of damage (or good - depending upon your point of view and the deep fake “target”).

Can you imagine the reputational damage to our Esteemed Leader should an indistinguishable-from-real deep fake “photo” circulate of Happy Hippo refusing a large slice of cake?

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
On 24/01/2024 at 12:48, Oldddudders said:

Try turning 70 when living abroad! DVLA wouldn't want to know, of course, so a local licence is needed. I think I applied in July, got a first communication back on Boxing Day, 6 weeks after the old licence had expired! 

Only 6 weeks.  Ours took two and a half years and our photos had expired  on our UK licences.  Then I found a way to hurry it up, get a speeding ticket. 

19 hours ago, Tony_S said:

That reminded me that there used to be a brand of shoe polish called Cherry Blossom. Not sure why as it was black or brown. 

Our drill pig would have had a fit.  It had to be KIWI. 

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Tony_S said:

That reminded me that there used to be a brand of shoe polish called Cherry Blossom. Not sure why as it was black or brown. 

There was a weird bloke in Liverpool who used to be called Cherry Blossom as the method he used to disguise his thinning grey locks looked as if he had applied a tin of shoe polish to his head....

Or so I was told!

Edited by Hroth
qualification...
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Because there is not much spare military accommodation available any more. And a lot of what there is pretty substandard.  The guys from the Royal Irish Rifles at Tern Hill live in portacabins because the large ex RAF barrack blocks are falling down.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, SM42 said:

Do what they did for the RAF in 1939

Give em tents. 

I'm not so sure any buying back would go on, but there will need to be a lot new  cars moved off runways and the strategic reserve will be called back from Hendon and Duxford. 

I think the plan for the army is to WFH in a guerilla style campaign 

The Navy? 

Well there's HMS Belfast and what they can find lying around Chatham. 

I'm sure the new recruits will soon get the hang of it

Andy

We don't have sufficient tentage in stock of a suitable standard.

Please don't add to the already serious backlog, by diverting funds away from ammunition fuel and rations.  Have you any idea how long it would take for trials to establish which was the best tent and even with an urgent operational requirement in place how long it would take for the tendering and manufacturing process to take.

(This is from a man who was reduced to raiding the DIY sheds to make up shortfalls in certain equipment for the first Gulf War)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, bbishop said:

Richard, are there more people in the MoD than in the armed forces?

Probably more than the Army but not the combined Armed Forces.  However while this sort of stat is thrown out by newspapers to show how we are dominated by non-active people, I believe that even in WW2 only about 10% of military personnel saw combat,  Putting the frontline fighting force in place requires a long logistics trail (I often think of it as a triangle beneath the single soldier), but they are all contributing to that fighting force..

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, bbishop said:

Richard, are there more people in the MoD than in the armed forces?

It must be getting close, when I joined the RN it was around 70,000 personnel and the MOD was 40,000. I don't have an accurate figure for the RN now but I believe it is less than 30,000. The MOD is I think still 40,000

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5