Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

No, fear not, Tucker the hippo is alive and well and according to the Zoo is in a symbiotic relationship with with the tilapia. They eat his poo and clean dead skin from his body. I am not sure what the tilapia I was served in the US had been eating but it tasted very bland.

They were the fish used in that craze that swept the UK about 20 years ago where you could get your feet nibbled as part of a beauty treatment.

There was a tank of them in the hairdressers I used to frequent:  I did suggest piranha could do the job quicker (That a very Colombian mindset🤣)

• Funny 12

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I managed to clear the top of the little workbench in the garage for the first time in  a long time.

Is this part of your preparation for the (now legendary) Hippo Hurdles Event at the next Olympics?

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

But are they smaller piles, as the detritus between the useful stuff is disposed of with great ceremony?

Normally just neater. 

If they are smaller, they don't look it. 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, DenysW said:

Is this part of your preparation for the (now legendary) Hippo Hurdles Event at the next Olympics?

I'm not quick enough anymore.

However, someone suggested I try gymnastics.

image.png.924ce052f0fa97eb7f5acd16dffcf797.png

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

They were the fish used in that craze that swept the UK about 20 years ago where you could get your feet nibbled as part of a beauty treatment.

There was a tank of them in the hairdressers I used to frequent:  I did suggest piranha could do the job quicker (That a very Colombian mindset🤣)

I suppose the Tilapia are useful for teasing out small flakes of skin.  Of course Piranha would be more suited to digging out recalcitrant corns and case-hardened heels.  It all relies on the correct training....

Nowadays, of course, they use those rotary files that spread a fine layer of sanded skin all over the place.

eg:  https://www.scholl.co.uk/products/expert-care-velvet-smooth-foot-file

Yuck!

Edited by Hroth
example
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The tilapia in the hippo tank were quite large fish and the ones served up as fish and chips in Texas were definitely fillet sized. I did see some pedicure fish once and they were quite small. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

I seem to recall that the pedicure by tilapia suddenly stopped when a rumour started that it was one way of transmitting AIDS.

Dunno about AIDS, but it was definitely some sort of health scare.  Veruccas? Athletes Foot?  I don't think it was the fish as such, more the water as a medium for transfer.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

25 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Normally just neater. 

If they are smaller, they don't look it. 

Andy

I've had a brain wave - yes I know but I thought I'd share it anyway. How about if you paint the piles with fresh flower and then they will merge seamlessly into background and disappear. Just make certain you memorize where they are though as otherwise you might trip over them when your making another pile. Genius. Now to figure out the meaning of forty two.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I've had a brain wave - yes I know but I thought I'd share it anyway. How about if you paint the piles with fresh flower and then they will merge seamlessly into background and disappear. Just make certain you memorize where they are though as otherwise you might trip over them when your making another pile. Genius. Now to figure out the meaning of forty two.

Forty two is the answer 

It's the question you need to figure out. 

Andy

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Fish Spas are not banned in the UK, though they apparently are in parts of the US and Canada.  They also use a species called Garra Rufa, rather than Tilapia.

Some info

Don't think I want my tootsies nibbled by a shoal of fish...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

When I was going to the shed earlier today I noticed that I could see across next door's back garden. This was strange as yesterday there was a bl00dy great fence in the way. It sure was windy last night.

We lost one fence panel to Storm Isha and despite several attempts to prop it up hard against the posts, Storm Jocelyn defeated them.  However, I looked outside late this afternoon and my neighbour has managed to prize it back into position.  He's in the building trade so was able to get them at a good price last time; I insisted to his wife today that we cover the cost this time but she equally insisted that it's their fence (we'll pay anyway, one of our cats has shredded the tops by using them for sharpening claws).  Compared to a few collapsed garden walls I've seen around here, so far this storm season we have escaped lightly.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Today I put up the two shelves that have been sitting around for the last few months. 

Mrs SM42 has now decided a third is required for balance.

This mean I'll have to 

A. Buy another shelf the same. 

B. Measure up the bracket's location off the other two to get it all symmetrical. 

Oh Norbury Junction!

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 14

6 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Today I put up the two shelves that have been sitting around for the last few months. 

Mrs SM42 has now decided a third is required for balance.

This mean I'll have to 

A. Buy another shelf the same. 

B. Measure up the bracket's location off the other two to get it all symmetrical. 

Oh Norbury Junction!

Andy

You say all that as if it was a challenge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Damn I knew I should have paid more attention. How's the painting going?

I'm drilling holes in it to put up shelves. 😠

The next room to be painted is in preparation stage. 

10 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

You say all that as if it was a challenge.

It is very challenging.  Not one I am looking forward to. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, SM42 said:

I'm drilling holes in it to put up shelves. 😠

The next room to be painted is in preparation stage. 

It is very challenging.  Not one I am looking forward to. 

Andy

For those wondering why Andy is taking so long over the little bit of painting and decorating, here is his modest pad:

image.png.d25f0a941e1fe1eb021b683f78c8d792.png

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

For those wondering why Andy is taking so long over the little bit of painting and decorating, here is his modest pad:

image.png.d25f0a941e1fe1eb021b683f78c8d792.png

Trespassers!

Release  the hounds!

Andy

Who's  painting to avoid the gardening

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Andy

Who's  painting to avoid the gardening

I've always found it advisable to find something to do to avoid both painting AND gardening!

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Hroth said:

I've always found it advisable to find something to do to avoid both painting AND gardening!

At least painting is indoors. 

Unless it's a fence your painting. 

Which reminds me. 

Andy

Praying for rain 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7