Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Well the weather forecast has kicked  up one of those, nowadays, common conundrums. 

"A weather warning for snow kicks in on Wednesday" was the line uttered. 

The summary for the week ahead at the end showed the sun peeping round a cloud symbol for Wednesday.  No hint of snow or any form of precipitation there.

So a weather warning for snow but forecast for overcast with sunny intervals. 

Meanwhile Mrs SM42 has been reading about some volcanic eruption somewhere and asked, "why don't they put it out with water?" 🤔

Not sure there's enough water on the planet for that was my reply"

" Well it would damp it down a bit"

SM42 changes subject before brain melts. 

In more concerning news, next Saturday has been declared a tidying the house day by MrsSM42.  

Putting up some shelves has also been mentioned. ( ruining my paintwork, grrrr!) 

I'm on edge already.  

I  am going to try and make preemptive  tidying up strikes on Thursday and Friday. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2024 at 21:29, SM42 said:

Of course there is a list of painting jobs to do also.

So Fresh Flour was "in" for 2023.

Are you going for a retro magnolia look in 2024?

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, newbryford said:

So Fresh Flour was "in" for 2023.

Are you going for a retro magnolia look in 2024?

Still got a lot of Fresh Flour and Turtledove Grey left. 

Stocks are not too shabby on Moonstone either. 

Quite frankly, it could go either way or off on a tangent. 

All depends on the shade of Magnolia in stock I suppose.  

Andy

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, SM42 said:

Andy

We have been looking at kitchens today.

"Kashmir" is "in".

I called it pale grey and the look from the kitchen shop salesperson (and Mrs NB) was piercing......

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Andy

Oh you could always paint everything again and save yourself from having to do any tidying on the Saturday.

Just a thought that's all.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Meanwhile Mrs SM42 has been reading about some volcanic eruption somewhere and asked, "why don't they put it out with water?" 🤔

Perhaps suggest Mrs SM42 reads about the eruption of Krakatoa?  The outcome was pretty much what happens if you try to add water to a volcano.

(I seem to remember the release of pressure in the sub-sea magma chamber allowed the pressure of sea water to collapse the chamber.  The instant boiling of millions of gallons of water caused an explosion heard 12,000 miles away and a shock wave that travelled round the Earth three times).

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 minutes ago, newbryford said:

We have been looking at kitchens today.

"Kashmir" is "in".

I called it pale grey and the look from the kitchen shop salesperson (and Mrs NB) was piercing......

Not really conducive to the conversation really saying it was pale grey. Now of course if you'd said it reminded you of being adrift on the ocean as the sun arose it might have had a more receptive response.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Other day dreams are of course available
  • Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Winslow Boy said:

Not really conducive to the conversation really saying it was pale grey. Now of course if you'd said it reminded you of being adrift on the ocean as the sun arose it might have had a more receptive response.

Nah - more like "have you been drinking?"

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Northmoor said:

Perhaps suggest Mrs SM42 reads about the eruption of Krakatoa?  The outcome was pretty much what happens if you try to add water to a volcano.

(I seem to remember the release of pressure in the sub-sea magma chamber allowed the pressure of sea water to collapse the chamber.  The instant boiling of millions of gallons of water caused an explosion heard 12,000 miles away and a shock wave that travelled round the Earth three times).

Or was it HH breaking wind?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

6 hours ago, SM42 said:

Well the weather forecast has kicked  up one of those, nowadays, common conundrums. 

"A weather warning for snow kicks in on Wednesday" was the line uttered. 

The summary for the week ahead at the end showed the sun peeping round a cloud symbol for Wednesday.  No hint of snow or any form of precipitation there.

So a weather warning for snow but forecast for overcast with sunny intervals. 

In more concerning news, next Saturday has been declared a tidying the house day by MrsSM42.  

Putting up some shelves has also been mentioned. ( ruining my paintwork, grrrr!) 

I'm on edge already.  

I  am going to try and make preemptive  tidying up strikes on Thursday and Friday. 

Andy

Andy,

Can you volunteer for Overtime on Cleaning Day(s)?

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Northmoor said:

There is something in my forgettery ©Chrisf,that says that about a cubic mile of water was explosively evaporated in that event. 

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

My brther brought to my attention the increasing number of houses being painted in various shades of 'grey'

After which, I noticed an increasing number of cars appearing in shades of grey also.

Has John Major had a hand in this ?

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

If you've seen him lately he's now rather white ( haired)

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Dad's last official Station was RAF Ballykelly, which was a Shackleton base, where there was a telephone line between air traffic control and the nearest signal box. This was because the tracks ran across the runway which had been extended to take V bombers if required..   

So I've seen many a shack trundling down the runway out over Lough Foyle. We lived on Shackleton Cresent which was on a rise overlooking the runways and the Lough.

The shack was designed by Roy Chadwick who also designed the Lancaster and those aircraft between. He was working on the Vulcan design when he was killed in an air crash.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, figworthy said:

Some years back, I came across some one who lived in the land of Telf.  Discussion was regarding human rights for the kiddie winks in the local school where he had the misfortune to be employed.  His comment was something along the lines of "Human ?, they smell like skunks, eat like pigs and fight like rats".  I suspect that our resident even toed ungulate may have a view on this.

Adrian

When Telford was designated one of the new towns, it has been suggested that in order to populate it they built a number of very poorly designed housing estates around the area.  (These estates were typical of the period and were a combination of  concrete rabbit warren and rat run.  These estates needed populating, so this was imported from various areas of the Black Country.  Local authorities in these areas immediately began sending their most feckless, lawless and useless citizenry to this Nirvana. (This would put some more background and concurs with what Adrian has mentioned.)

I live just north of the 'border', the A442, within the parlimentary seat called 'The Wrekin'.

Telfland is pierced through it's heart by the M54 which gives the innocent fast and safe passage through Telfland, but also allows Telfs a quick exit route into the outside world. 

That last point should be enough to bring fear into even the most stalwart.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Forgive this naïve question from a "Johnny Foreigner", but where exactly is Telfland?

One wants to know, so when one perambulates around your green and pleasant land one can safely avoid the untermensch and only associate with those of noble brow and birth, good breeding and discerning taste - such as the members of TNM

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

When Telford was designated one of the new towns, it has been suggested that in order to populate it they built a number of very poorly designed housing estates around the area.  (These estates were typical of the period and were a combination of  concrete rabbit warren and rat run.  These estates needed populating, so this was imported from various areas of the Black Country.  Local authorities in these areas immediately began sending their most feckless, lawless and useless citizenry to this Nirvana. (This would put some more background and concurs with what Adrian has mentioned.)

I live just north of the 'border', the A442, within the parlimentary seat called 'The Wrekin'.

Telfland is pierced through it's heart by the M54 which gives the innocent fast and safe passage through Telfland, but also allows Telfs a quick exit route into the outside world. 

That last point should be enough to bring fear into even the most stalwart.

You mean then can drive!!! Good Lo*d we have got problems. One of the reasons I'm told that the clean air thingymabobs wasn't introduced to greater Manutopea was because the rozzers started nicking the Scrots- we had a change of leadership at the top. As a result it took a considerable number of Audi & BMW 'owners'- other terms are available, off the roads. 

The latest wheeze the 'brain dead' have come up with to lower the pollution levels is for the speed limit to be lowered to 10 mph. There are days when I wonder whether they are aliens who are just having a laugh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, BR60103 said:

My contribution to the aircraft photos for today.  

ARG31.jpg.0c1142b2ab32e8cd07e8d5d0f92e89fe.jpg

Not a successful design.  The successor, the Me 410, of which an example resides in the RAF museum at Cosford, was a far better aircraft.

Note the barbettes on the fuselage that mounted the 'Schrage Musik' upward firing 20 mm cannons.  This allowed the night fighter variant to slip under a bomber undetected* and fire directly up into the belly.

image.png.f8c0ddebda49593f815e20f41a8a7972.png

image.png.937fe681dc69508d946564dcb487630d.png

*  On anything except a very bright moonlight night, if you try looking down from altitude into the darkness below, you see almost nothing.

Some bombers were fitted with rearward looking radar (called Boozer) to warn crews against an approaching night fighter, but it was a double edged sword as it was an active radar system, so could be detected by the nightfighter's crew who then knew there was a potential target in the immediate vicinity. 

British night fighters on interdiction missions had a system named Perfectos, which could detect German night fighter intercept radars, so the hunters became the hunted.

For those really interested in this sort of electronic warfare, best to read up on the RAF's, 100 Group.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

You mean then can drive!!!

No, very few have a licence or their own vehicle for that matter, but they are quite capable of acquiring cars and moving them from one job to another before leaving the smoking ruin in a farmers field.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1