Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think they are called DCC wives:  Certainly trundling around on their own and failing to respond to commands from the handset.

But do they have two wires though? Asking for a friend by the way.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

But they have two wires though? Asking for a friend by the way.

Dr Frankenstein found that two wires were adequate to jolt things into life...

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I have been messing around with wires today. I added a wireless extender to our old battery doorbell sometime ago. It stopped working before Christmas and I replaced a battery and all was fine. I was suspicious about the battery as it had leaked which I have never had with Duracell before so I wonder if it was a counterfeit item. Anyway I think the battery holder had also suffered a bit too so,that needed a clean and all was restored to working order and we can hear the doorbell extension chimes. 
The other wireless task involved seeing which DAB radios actually also received DAB+ signals. Aditi’s favourite kitchen listening channel is ClassicFM. The old kitchen radio was used to  receive  their DAB broadcast. That ended today. The kitchen radio was so old it wouldn’t work with DAB+ so a new radio was obtained. All the other radios seem ok even though they don’t have DAB+ or a tick logo. AditI is very pleased as the new kitchen radio sounds better (I think she may mean louder!).

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

On 01/01/2024 at 18:12, SM42 said:

Very good at hiding the countryside behind a smoke screen  when opened up.

Not the same class of loco but similar  source and period.

If you watch it to the end there are three locomotives banking, I wouldn’t want to be in charge of them.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

We wish. The money supposedly earmarked for improving things on wheels that run on rails has it would seem been allocated to filling the potholes in London. Funny that happening isn't it. That's a rhetorical statement by the way. 

No, no , no need for the scepticism, some of the money has been well spent here (Barnsley) but I’m not sure how much is left now.

311E49D3-0770-4029-AD9E-14E16B0BC3CD.jpeg.bb788babb73904d1a04d008beba264c7.jpeg

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

No, no , no need for the scepticism, some of the money has been well spent here (Barnsley) but I’m not sure how much is left now.

311E49D3-0770-4029-AD9E-14E16B0BC3CD.jpeg.bb788babb73904d1a04d008beba264c7.jpeg

£3 million pounds worth at London prices that is.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

There was a fire in a subway train in Toronto over the holiday. Source was an E-bike lithium battery.

Fortunately, the fire happened at a station and everyone could evacuate.  The train was a 6-unit articulated with no separating doors. The union is complaining as the trains are one-man operation and evacuation of the back part would have been tricky in the tunnel (fire was in the first car).

No word on which train or extent of damage.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Ah, powered by ALCo! 😉

Probably cheap Russian knock off copies of Alco engines. I think those are actually there section Locos. 

Jamie

• Like 6

8 hours ago, skipepsi said:

That's alright it'll still leave 29 billion, 997 million and fifty pence left for the rest. Say another hundred holes.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Or just replacing the turbochargers. 

It looks more like unburnt fuel to me, but I am not sure what engine configuration the locos have. The tunnel certainly has the soot of previous turbo failures.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Not the same class of loco but similar  source and period.

If you watch it to the end there are three locomotives banking, I wouldn’t want to be in charge of them.

And there I was, thinking EE Type 3s were heavy smokers!

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

It's still raining here.

The area next to the summer house, which is sunken compared to the rest of the garden is overflowing with water.

It would be an ideal location for a pond, which would save filling it in🤣

So it could become the new (not so) muddy hollow (rear).

Not to be outdone, MH(F) is also deep enough for a swim now.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, BR60103 said:

There was a fire in a subway train in Toronto over the holiday. Source was an E-bike lithium battery.

Fortunately, the fire happened at a station and everyone could evacuate.  The train was a 6-unit articulated with no separating doors. The union is complaining as the trains are one-man operation and evacuation of the back part would have been tricky in the tunnel (fire was in the first car).

No word on which train or extent of damage.

Should follow TfL's lead and ban E-bikes on the Underground. (After a similar incident but on a platform rather than a train.)

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Should follow TfL's lead and ban E-bikes on the Underground. (After a similar incident but on a platform rather than a train.)

They'll never ban them in Yorkshire...

Hat coat etc

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Much planning is in progress to find the border crossing into Germany that has the smallest queue and is open to road traffic

Not helped by a fatal road accident on the motorway earlier creating a 15km tailback. 

Time for some sleep before we make our run for the border 

Car 95% packed 

Fingers crosssed

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Much planning is in progress to find the border crossing into Germany that has the smallest queue and is open to road traffic

Not helped by a fatal road accident on the motorway earlier creating a 15km tailback. 

Time for some sleep before we make our run for the border 

Car 95% packed 

Fingers crosssed

Andy

You need to send a postcard if you make it home...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Filling the hole cost £50k, the remainder was spent on the consultants you paid to tell you where the holes were (they asked you).

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

They might be banned but people bring them on the Underground all the time. 

They also bring on non-folding bicycles, ride them or scooters on the platforms, busk without permission (or beg by pretending to sell you tissues), use vapes or smoke real cigarettes, barge through the wide gates or "double-gate" the unfortunate paying public, use the platforms as a toilet after closing time and many other things that aren't legal. 

And when they politely ask them not to, the staff get yelled and sworn at in the face, threatened with violence etc.  I have so much sympathy for station staff on LU, who have to deal every day with the worst of The General Public.

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I have so much sympathy for station staff on LU, who have to deal every day with the worst of The General Public.

That’s London for you!

(Hat, coat etc)

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1