Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but how does that work?

I am assuming you just unsolder the existing battery and replace it with one with more amperage. Correct?

Since when my late father-in-law almost electrocuted me (we were installing a ceiling lamp. I asked him to turn the power off at the circuit, he refused saying the power was already off - it wasn’t), I do minimal electrical work around the house (changing Euronorm and UKnorm plugs to Swissnorm plugs, replacing bulbs & fuses is about it), I leave the serious stuff to the professionals.

However, I do - where possible - do minor device repairs or upgrades (such as replacing very thin wire in a battery tester) where if it goes wrong it is neither life threatening or expensive. Changing the rechargeable battery in a vacuum cleaner sounds like that.

Any suggestions/comments from the sages on TNM?

I watched a you tube video and removed the original battery two screws IIRC I used the same power the first time and the upgrade the second time. Twice the power I think from Amazon.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

I watched a you tube video and removed the original battery two screws IIRC I used the same power the first time and the upgrade the second time. Twice the power I think from Amazon.

Presumably the same voltage but twice the battery capacity?

• Agree 3

I have reached the time of year when I'm eating what would otherwise go off over Christmas.  So I'm adding a handful of penne to sweated vegetables, to be eaten with Linda McCartney sausages.

The veg includes cauliflower stalks - similar to but less stringy than celery.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

If its for the crimbo tree lights there isn't anything to earth anyway.

Yes it is and no there isn't  but, being a daft system where the earth pin is in the socket rather than the plug, a no earth required appliances plug has a slot to allow the earth pin to poke through performing no function  whatsoever. 

The plug on the extension I have has no such slot and is thus only good for sockets with no earth pin. 🤔

The problem has been solved with a set of battery powered lights, bought today for less than the three batteries that power it. 

The big tree is up ( built in lights on this one) and various sets of lights adorn the flat

The balcony will get lit up tomorrow. 

Not enough light  now rather ironically. 

Have to be quick though as its dark by just after 3pm. 

Andy

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

It appears that I'm not going to the dentist tomorrow. 

Mrs SM42 has got that mixed up with the barber's. 

Lucky she found out, as I don't fancy having my teeth trimmed to a No 1 and my hair filled

Andy

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

1 minute ago, SM42 said:

It appears that I'm not going to the dentist tomorrow. 

Mrs SM42 has got that mixed up with the barber's. 

Lucky she found out, as I don't fancy having my teeth trimmed to a No 1 and my hair filled

Andy

You could always have a polish & shine at the barbers.

Won't say what you could have done at the dentist as don't want to get banned, again.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

You could always have a polish & shine at the barbers.

Won't say what you could have done at the dentist as don't want to get banned, again.

With the amount of hair I've got left a Polish polish and shine is a distinct possibility at the barber's . 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Mrs SM42 has just asked if I'm going to the model shop tomorrow as my barber's appointment isn't tlll 4pm 

Well what is a boy to do?

Andy

I'm assuming that's a rhetorical statement otherwise boy have you got problems.

Never mind a polish at the polish barbers. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

The new table saw I ordered has arrived.

I was under the impression that this was smaller than my old finger chopper:

How wrong I was....

It seems bigger, but since it's also higher quality, I can live with it.

It neatly fits over my old B&D Workmate, which is good, but I'm eventually going to have to make a proper stand for it.

Regarding DH:  I might be mistaken, but didn't he say that after getting back from pet and house sitting, he was off elsewhere for a short while?

Funnily enough I sent him a PM this afternoon, but  having just checked, he hasn't looked at it yet.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been reliably informed that our local garden centre is having a 50% off sale on the run up to Christmas.

Presumably this means I will be sent to look for the replacement outside lights later on this morning.

At least I can incorporate the trip with a visit to the recycling centre.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Time for me to find something to do until I am called for. 

I can neither confirm nor deny that this may involve something railway related. 

Andy

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have been reliably informed that our local garden centre is having a 50% off sale on the run up to Christmas.

Presumably this means I will be sent to look for the replacement outside lights later on this morning.

At least I can incorporate the trip with a visit to the recycling centre.

Does the 50% off also include the cake on sale at there cafe.

Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

19 hours ago, Hroth said:

...There used to be tales of blokes sticking parts of themselves into parts of the hover cleaners that they shouldn't have...

When model railways were (temporarily) displaced by an interest in gurls, quite by chance I ended up regularly in the company of a flatful of nurses in training and subsequently qualified at one of London's principal teaching hospitals; all during that time having passed through 'Casualty' as it was then known, as an element of their training. The stories were positively eye-watering.

This has never been covered in C4's  '24 hours in A&E' to the best of my knowledge. Possibly not to give chaps with little imagination 'unhelpful' ideas?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

This has never been covered in C4's  '24 hours in A&E' to the best of my knowledge. Possibly not to give chaps with little imagination 'unhelpful' ideas?

Possibly.

Also vacuum cleaners are more carefully designed nowadays...

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Does the 50% off also include the cake on sale at there cafe.

Asking for a friend.

Only the  dark chocolate covered stem ginger biscuits, which were acquired for consumption on return to the Hippodrome, and very nice they were too.

Then there was the half price apricot and peach bellini Panettone from the Waitrose outlet in the store which also fell into the shopping basket.

I find that Pannetone do make delightful bread and butter puddings.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Only the  dark chocolate covered stem ginger biscuits, which were acquired for consumption on return to the Hippodrome, and very nice they were too.

Then there was the half price apricot and peach bellini Panettone from the Waitrose outlet in the store which also fell into the shopping basket.

I find that Pannetone do make delightful bread and butter puddings.

Well that's good to know. Wouldn't want you 'suffering' over Christmas would we.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

For those enquiring about the whereabouts of the resident crab, he's just sent me an e-card.

And I thought Eee cards only came from Yorkshire folk.

I'm finally getting into the Christmas spirit, 40% proof of course!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5