Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

I have been restored after an emergency application of Bara Brith:  Nyda found some she had frozen in the bottom of the freezer.

I was so desperate, it went in immediately with no thawing required.

Of course, I'm not greedy as Coastalview can attest to.

He saw me being forced to eat more cake than I needed at Llandrinio this afternoon.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Our neighbour brought some cake round. She had made too much and didn’t think it would “keep”. It was a lemon drizzle cake but I don’t think @polybear may have approved as the lemon drizzle was made with some sort of lemon drizzle liqueur. 

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

That only adds up to 90% what about the other 10%?

I've realised that almost every post I've made in the last week has some stupid typo, spelling error or other mistake which confuses meaning.

Brain function is obviously deteriorating.

I'm seriously ready for two weeks off with lie-ins, starting this weekend.  I've already bought 3/4 of my own Christmas presents, suppose I should buy a few for others.  Apparently its The Done Thing......

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

The thing with out sourcing is that when its applied to 'blue collar' workers i.e people who work with there hands, the 'white collar' staff i.e the people who supervise the blue collar workers are all for it as it 'saves money', however when its applied to 'white collar' roles somehow it never seems to work or save money.

That's because the senior managers are patting themselves on the back for reducing costs and giving themselves a massive pay rise and while about it make a lot of the junior managers and white collar staff redundant.

• Agree 9

With regard to Mr Hunt’s potential visit to a certain museum in the corner of Covent Garden.  He may struggle to find anything painted in his preferred shade of red!

There may even be a distinct risk of spotting colour images of a red Pannier tank or two????

Paul

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That's because the senior managers are patting themselves on the back for reducing costs and giving themselves a massive pay rise and while about it make a lot of the junior managers and white collar staff redundant.

thumbnail_image001.jpg.ddce4b696676f6a7c2c4741320c64ada.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

46 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Those would be the same junior staff who were only to happy to go along with the plan little realising that they were next on the list. But, and i quote a well known comedian here - where's the money, always seems to being spent on 'other things' when you ask for some of it.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I read no further!

Half a bottle of whisky was required to calm my shattered nerves, and I must now take to my bed.

The trauma, the trauma.....

I've heard of some excuses for trying to empty a whisky bottle but Midland 0 gauge isn't one of them. You'll have to do better than that. 

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I've heard of some excuses for trying to empty a whisky bottle but Midland 0 gauge isn't one of them. You'll have to do better than that. 

Jamie

Green panniers??

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

My wife said that, at the crown corporation she worked for, people would be let go, then taken on on contract as a means to reduce the employee count but still get the work done.

I can see "outsourcing" if the job is not part of the core competency.  Lets say, a small firm of lawyers that hires a firm to clean the office, since none of the lawyers knows how cleaning is done.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

My wife said that, at the crown corporation she worked for, people would be let go, then taken on on contract as a means to reduce the employee count but still get the work done.

I can see "outsourcing" if the job is not part of the core competency.  Lets say, a small firm of lawyers that hires a firm to clean the office, since none of the lawyers knows how cleaning is done.

Or the lawyers' firm could employ a cleaner. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

Or the lawyers' firm could employ a cleaner. 

Pay a company to provide the service and they don't have to worry about recruiting a cleaner and faffing about all the paperwork or paying minimum wage, NI, PAYE, organising a pension scheme...

And who would want to work for a bunch of sharks in the first place?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Pay a company to provide the service and they don't have to worry about recruiting a cleaner and faffing about all the paperwork or paying minimum wage, NI, PAYE, organising a pension scheme...

Too true plus you don't have to worry about whether the cleaners are illegal immigrants or only paid a pittance.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Parasitic copepods get fat off the backs of sharks.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, polybear said:

Many Insurance Policies now have an increased excess for "escape of water" - Bear's standard excess is a Ton, but for water it's five hundred quid.  You can buy a lot of laminate floor for that......

Our water excess is £400

But - there is a possibility that the entire floor under the laminate - may need replacing, along with a couple of kitchen cabinets that have been damaged.

It depends how it dries out.

The leak was a perished pipe on the dishwasher feed.

We await the assessor.

At least the kitchen is usable

• Friendly/supportive 18

13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Of course, I'm not greedy as Coastalview can attest to.

He saw me being forced to eat more cake than I needed at Llandrinio this afternoon.

I can of course confirm this and also confirm that I am not under duress and make this statement of my own free will.

Help come and rescue............

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, Hroth said:

But Fred made a living knocking things down....

Mr Dibnah was not such a saint.

He may have worn overalls, but he worked in services.

He made money out of the UK's de-industrialisation as there were plenty of redundant factories and plant that needed knocking down. 

And he also made money by being part of the media sector. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Too true plus you don't have to worry about whether the cleaners are illegal immigrants or only paid a pittance.

Actually you cannot abdicate responsibility for that in law.  You are expected to have taken reasonable measures to ensure your contractors are working within the law.  If your contractor is employing illegal immigrant labour and/or below the minimum wage, you really can't claim to adhere to the Modern Slavery Policy which is no doubt easily accessible from your company website.....

• Like 4
  • Agree 1