Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I recently received a letter from the travel insurers changing the list of medical conditions that were deemed not to require screening before the policy was issued and a requirement to advise them of any visits to a hospital, either as an inpatient or out patient, since the last renewal. I rang to say that Jill had seen a heart consultant as a follow up to her fainting last February in order to rule out any heart issues and was cleared. This resulted in them wanting to raise the premium by £116 simply because she had a consultation, even though I told them repeatedly that there was no abnormality detected. The term thieving barstewards came to mind and I told them I'd think about it. Half an hour later I had the pleasure of ringing them back to tell them to stick their policy where it may act as a suppository as I had found someone who had a more realistic outlook on the matter.

A late friend of my late in-laws first trained as an insurance actuary before setting up for himself as an insurance broker. He would have been considerably ruder concerning such counter-productive practise as effectively discouraging people from seeking appropriate professional advice. Good for you, fighting your own corner, if only everyone did this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

Well I think that about sums life up at the moment.

It is the 13 th November and I've seen my first Christmas tree. Yes I know it could be someone bringing it forward for a 'reason' but really the

13 th of November.

What was wrong with putting it up on Christmas Eve. Yes it didn't get taken down up the end of January, many because we couldn't find the box's, but really a month and a half before. I give up.

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

21 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

It is the 13 th November and I've seen my first Christmas tree. Yes I know it could be someone bringing it forward for a 'reason' but really the

13 th of November.

What was wrong with putting it up on Christmas Eve. Yes it didn't get taken down up the end of January, many because we couldn't find the box's, but really a month and a half before. I give up.

Back in the 1980s, when I was fitter, and would run to and from work - I would pass daily a house in Penygarn Road in the Ely area of Cardiff where the (decorated) Christmas tree stayed up, all year round.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

We spent much of today digging Christmas out of its boxes.  There are now two trees up in our front room. I'm of the Christmas Eve persuasion but SWMBO isn't.  I believe they should stay up until 12th Night. 

One of the items is a Hogwarts Express by Lionel.  Not the big version. It's battery operated on plastic track (15" radius) with a 2-6-2 and 4-wheel tender. The couplings are tension-lock but, since I'm not using any of the straight track, they are a ****** to couple (body-mounted on the coaches).

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

My father used to have trouble with travel-health insurance. There was a question if your medication had changed in the last n months.  Dad's doctor seemed to make minor adjustments every 3 months.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

I seem to have scored a blinder this year.  As we are to be in the UK visiting the sprogs over the holiday season, no decorations has been decreed by the domestic authorities.  That's a tick. 

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 8

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I seem to have scored a blinder this year.  As we are to be in the UK visiting the sprogs over the holiday season, no decorations has been decreed by the domestic authorities.  That's a tick. 

Jamie

You've been lulled into a false sense of security.

• Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

We are on a reduced decoration regime this year. 

Visiting relatives requires less effort in  the decking the halls department. 

Just the tree  for us this year. 

It'll still be up till the end of Christmas in  early February though. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, SM42 said:

We are on a reduced decoration regime this year. 

Visiting relatives requires less effort in  the decking the halls department. 

Just the tree  for us this year. 

It'll still be up till the end of Christmas in  early February though. 

Andy

Bear predicts that on 1st Jan SWMBO will declare that Fresh Flour "is sooooo last year" and order a change; it seems that "Sage" or "Flame Orange" are the current favourites.....

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear predicts that on 1st Jan SWMBO will declare that Fresh Flour "is sooooo last year" and order a change; it seems that "Sage" or "Flame Orange" are the current favourites.....

I understand Jonquil is making a big come back.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

We live in a forest and we are surrounded by those trees. I like to make the case that they look much better alive outside the house. There is one at the end of our drive that I used to hang lights on when it was about eight feet tall. That is no longer practical as it is pushing forty feet now.

• Like 9
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I understand Jonquil is making a big come back.

How'd you know when a paint designer is talking bo11ox?  When you have to google the name to have even the remotest idea what colour it is.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

9 hours ago, polybear said:

What amazes me is that it seems there are still Forces around the world that are still flying the Phantom.

I suspect that is because "it takes a licking but keeps on kicking". 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

He had a good try.

image.png.0f30ef373ed7a1e592f210f0b6de2a38.png

The RAF has some very big sheds.

image.png.ab1fd90577c771f77fbcba2bcc0b787d.png

No rug rats, so we don't do Christmas,

If we did there's a holly tree about 25 ft tall in the traditional Christmas tree shape in the garden, that would get the lights treatment.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

13 th of November.

I went to a Christmas Fair (complete with Santas Grotto) last Saturday. There were stuffed Christmas trees too!  I will be attending another one this coming Saturday too....

I'll get around to putting up some decorations sometime in the week before Christmas, they'll consist of a swag of faux greenery with intertwined led lights across the fireplace, a bunch of led lit twigs with tinsel instead of a tree and a couple of strategically placed jars with led lights in them.

Sorted!

And they'll all come down on the evening of the 5th January, leaving the place bare without them...

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Currently on the 05.05 Penzance to Padlington. It’s a wet morning and fields around here, Somerset,  are waterlogged. Next stop Reading.

Amusingly, on Uni Challenge last night a question about the name of the station at the west end of the Elizabeth Line - Reading - was quickly and correctly answered by The Stationmaster’s daughter! Yes, really. She is batting for the Open Uni. Her team won convincingly again. 

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 8

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

He had a good try.

image.png.0f30ef373ed7a1e592f210f0b6de2a38.png

The RAF has some very big sheds.

image.png.ab1fd90577c771f77fbcba2bcc0b787d.png

No rug rats, so we don't do Christmas,

If we did there's a holly tree about 25 ft tall in the traditional Christmas tree shape in the garden, that would get the lights treatment.

Call that shed; this is a proper shed!

IMG_0034.jpeg.808bae99cbcdf9ae071432d72dee0866.jpeg2

• Like 4
  • Funny 6