Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I continued to overhaul various wagons.  this included the refitting of 3 link/instanter and screw couplings to various locos and wagons that had previously been fitted with Dinghams.  The creation of the magnetic shunting poles have made these very 'so yesterday'. 

A pal of mine a few years ago found a box full of 3 link and screw couplings already assembled and blackened going for peanuts at a swapmeet and immediately snapped them up, using them on quite a few locomotives and other stock. It wasn't until he recently acquired a magnetic shunting pole with high hopes for it making life easier that he discovered that many of them are made of brass. 🤥

Dave

• Like 3
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Make a new underframe?

Dave

I was hoping to start from a kit  I have rather than from scratch to save a lot of faffing about. 

I don't trust myself to get a scratch build square

A new V hanger at least is accepted as required. 

Maybe a 10 ft wheelbase version  will be a better option or  just cut 1mm out either side of the V hanger and hope no-one notices the wheelbase is actually 8' 6". 

Andy

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

On a serious note, I think that because Switzerland abutted both German controlled France and Vichy controlled France. The POWs - having arrived from Nazi occupied Europe - transited through Vichy controlled France and thence to Spain and Gibraltar and then back to the UK.

I know little about the various escape routes through Vichy France, but a clandestine boat trip from a southern French port to the closest Spanish port might have been one way. Pickup by Lysander in rural Vichy France might have been another.

Courtesy of people like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Caskie

He was a friend of my mum and dad and I met him at The Scots Kirk Paris in the early 60's.

Edited by AndyID
gramer
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 11/11/2023 at 20:23, Flying Fox 34F said:

Fifty Sheds of Grey!!!!!!

Paul

I have the book....

image.png.9dbb1a6bae0cf9302e21b8ebdef8c5a0.png

With lines such as 

"Take me to your shed and hurt me"

So I bent her over the workbench and said "your ankles are fat"..................

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

Reading accounts of struggles with 3 link and screw-link couplings (wot! No instanters?) and all the associated stress, I have but one question:

Why?

If Hornby or Triang tension-lock couplings were good enough for our Dads, they should be good enough for us?

And if you insist on having prototypical distances between rolling stock - go modern image - and a handful of kadee #17 will give you a reasonable Scharfenberg Coupling experience!

Sheesh, talk about first world problems....

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Reading accounts of struggles with 3 link and screw-link couplings (wot! No instanters?) and all the associated stress, I have but one question:

Why?

If Hornby or Triang tension-lock couplings were good enough for our Dads, they should be good enough for us?

And if you insist on having prototypical distances between rolling stock - go modern image - and a handful of kadee #17 will give you a reasonable Scharfenberg Coupling experience!

I'm going for magnetic couplings. With ageing eyesight and arthritic fingers even tension locks are difficult now. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Why?

I don't like the  tension lock in general as there is no standardisation 

All over the place. 

Happy to stick to another coupling  where any shunting is required, and indeed use the Bachmann style  tension lock ( still a bit of a mess but better than some) to attach a loco, to the train but kadees leave me unimpressed, especially the delayed action feature 

It's not about  the distance between stock, for that I'd use something better, not an over scale version.

I just think they look better on wagons  and can be used as a coupling as a bonus.  

For coaching stock I'm not going to be using 3 links. That way madness lies. 

As for what was good enough for dad, leaded petrol and coal fired heating were too but I ain't using them. 

Andy

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/11/2023 at 20:40, SM42 said:

How about some musicals

Seven sheds for seven brothers 

The phantom of the shed

Joseph and his amazing technicolour shed

Shedcago

Shed pacific

The shed of Mormon 

Paint your shed

Annie get your shed

Andy

You forgot what was/is the best of all the musicals/Broadway plays:

My Fair Shed

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

That looks a bit like New Bryford.

I think it must be the hat.

If you want to get ahead, get a hat!

It was a popular advertising slogan from the late 30s...

if-you-want-to-get-ahead-get-a-hat-the-coventry-evening-telegraph-coventry-warwickshire-11-january-1949.webp.e975ff84d59f91b1593a4a3309c6ff95.webp

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4