Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

I had 50s on VW Rabbit and I could not reverse up our almost level driveway. It's mainly to do with the rubber composition. Studless snow tires work well on snow and ice but they wear down fast on dry roads and studded snow tires only last for a couple of seasons.

Our Fiesta has 45 profile winter tyres, When Aditi used to drive up London there were certain areas that seemed to be very frugal with the gritting when frosty. My previous Freelanders and until recently my Evoque  had M+S (mud and snow) rated tyres. That has been superseded by “snowflake “ 3PMSF tyres. Mine are the Michelin version and they did well in Canadian reviews so should be fine here. They will be fine if we have a Spring or Autumn break in Europe and it snows. So far all they have had to cope with is surface water. They are supposed,to be noisier than the previous brand but aren’t. 

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just read my written orders  

They are very detailed and include such reminders as

"go to work"

" make dinner"

" go to brother's birthday bash"

Things I'm likely to forget, obviuosly

Andy

Waiting paint to dry

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I've just read my written orders  

They are very detailed and include such reminders as

"go to work"

" make dinner"

" go to brother's birthday bash"

Things I'm likely to forget, obviuosly

Andy

Waiting paint to dry

Mrs SM42 is obviously a very perceptive person.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Nyda told me of a very detailed conversation she had with me this afternoon.  I presume it was more of a monologue as at the time I was up the garden planting out the rest of the onions.

When she found me she did say, 'I wondered why you were so quiet!'

I then made a bit more noise, as I trimmed another section of hedge.

Tomorrow I have a session in the garage during the morning, followed by taking Nyda to Shrewsbury for a hospital appointment.

She is more than capable of going on her own, but the parking at the hospital is so abysmal that often there are no places to park, which can be extremely stressful when you have been summoned there.  I drop her off and go and annoy a friend who lives near by until she calls for collection.  That way I also avoid the dreaded parking charges which are not cheap.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, polybear said:

When I started reading things like this I knew straight away it was cobblers:

Clean and efficient public transportation. I know Londoners aren't always happy with the Underground, but as an American it was the cleanest, safest and most efficient rail system I have ever seen

Coincidentally, I was told something very similar only last week by a couple of Americans I met at a conference.  They were impressed by the sheer frequency of service; almost nowhere in the States has a service better than about 12 tph.  The Victoria Line often betters 30tph.  Having been brought up in rural Wales where we had a bus once a week, I still find it hilarious when Londoners squeeze through closing doors instead of waiting maybe 150 seconds for the next train.

As an employee of TfL, I am perhaps biased, but London Underground is staggeringly good compared to what it was a generation ago.  

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Round of applause 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I always thought the Circle Line should have one very, very, long train train coupled nose to tail.  A bit like a ski lift.

I its original cable hauled form the Glasgow Subway was even more like a modern ski lift with detachable chairs.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I trust you all had a successful evening out guizing? Not dark here yet so I'll have to wait for a bit.

It al seems to have settled down here. A few years ago there were groups of older teenagers basically issuing threats with menaces and indulging in minor vandalism. Now it is groups of younger children shepherded by a few adults, and they only call on houses with displays of pumpkins or scary decorations. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I trust you all had a successful evening out guizing? Not dark here yet so I'll have to wait for a bit.

Battened down the hatches and NOBODY knocked on the door, so a big win there!!!

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

I retreated to the garage and listened to the little darlings banging on the house door.  Now it's raining so I don't think there will be many fireworks.

Personally I hate Halloween.  When I was a kid, it was "penny for the guy".  My sister and I were too old for "penny ...." when we acquired our Jack Russell Terrier, but he was borrowed by the local kids as a live guy.  He made a cute guy wrapped in a towel and sitting in a push chair and was also a very effective minder if anyone threatened the kids.

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I always thought the Circle Line should have one very, very, long train train coupled nose to tail.  A bit like a ski lift.

That would work quite well if the stations were exactly evenly spaced.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I its original cable hauled form the Glasgow Subway was even more like a modern ski lift with detachable chairs.

The trains were not detachable in service. The stations were all an equal distance apart and the trains were permanently attached to the cable the same distance apart. When the system shut down for the night the cable was stopped with a train in every station. The only time the cars were detached from the cable was when they required servicing or repair. The workshops were above the tunnels and there was a crane above the tracks to lift the cars in and out. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nyda told me of a very detailed conversation she had with me this afternoon.  I presume it was more of a monologue as at the time I was up the garden planting out the rest of the onions.

When she found me she did say, 'I wondered why you were so quiet!'

I then made a bit more noise, as I trimmed another section of hedge.

Tomorrow I have a session in the garage during the morning, followed by taking Nyda to Shrewsbury for a hospital appointment.

She is more than capable of going on her own, but the parking at the hospital is so abysmal that often there are no places to park, which can be extremely stressful when you have been summoned there.  I drop her off and go and annoy a friend who lives near by until she calls for collection.  That way I also avoid the dreaded parking charges which are not cheap.

It would appear that Mrs HH ensures she always get the answer she wants.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

That would work quite well if the stations were exactly evenly spaced.

You mean they're not?  But they are on the map!  That's outrageous, the public should be told.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The trains were not detachable in service. The stations were all an equal distance apart and the trains were permanently attached to the cable the same distance apart. When the system shut down for the night the cable was stopped with a train in every station. The only time the cars were detached from the cable was when they required servicing or repair. The workshops were above the tunnels and there was a crane above the tracks to lift the cars in and out. 

And when they electrified it they used to lower extra units in increase the service for the rush hour I think, then take them out when thi gs quietened down. 

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I probably knew that a long time ago 😆 So more like an original type ski lift then.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Spooky goings on at SM42 Towers. 

Earlier I opened my toolbox, which at the time was located on the landing. 

Something fell out of one of the lid compartments. 

I heard it bounce down the stairs. 

Whatever it was. It's disappeared 

Nowwhere to be seen

Andy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

4 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Spooky goings on at SM42 Towers. 

Earlier I opened my toolbox, which at the time was located on the landing. 

Something fell out of one of the lid compartments. 

I heard it bounce down the stairs. 

Whatever it was. It's disappeared 

Nowwhere to be seen

Andy

I'll have some of whatever you are having 😆

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

We've not had any trick or treaters.

Years ago when I lived on the edge of a village, three lads came down the yard wearing plastic pumpkin masks and their hoods up. (Clearly a lot of effort and imagination had gone into the costumes)

They scarpered when greeted by something that looked like the Barghest trying to tear it's way out of the porch.

Poor dog took a dislike to three weird faces peering through the back door and demonstrated how big black and bad he could be.

I nearly laughed myself to death.

• Like 12
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I saw our neighbour for the first time in a few weeks.

He had been absent because he'd broken his foot.

I asked him how he did it and his cat had tripped him up at the top of the stairs and he'd taken a tumble.

I'm sorry to say I laughed...

Out loud.

Well I did have the vision of a cat going 'Gotcha!'

• Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, Happy Hippo said:

I asked him how he did it and his cat had tripped him up at the top of the stairs and he'd taken a tumble.

Out loud.

Revenge perhaps?

Cat: "You might have had me neutered, but I can still f*** you !"

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 16

Most of you youngsters are probably not old enough to remember loose shunting but when I was very young I used to spend hours on an overbridge watching Caledonian Jumbos shunt coal wagons at the sidings near our house. I was fascinated when they did loose shunting and how far the wagons would roll at walking pace to allow the shunter to apply the brake just at the right time.

I have an idea that it might be possible to recreate that activity in 00. I realize it really is pushing it (pardon the pun) more than just a bit but it's worth a shot. Wish me luck. I'll need a lot of that 😆

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Out loud.

A few years ago I had to abandon my ski plans mid-season when I broke my wrist. I suppose I could have concocted a tale about having to swerve suddenly to avoid a ski bunny but in reality I was walking the dog down a slight slope in the road on about an inch of snow when my feet went ahead of me. I made the big mistake of trying to break my fall by putting a hand down. We had just had our beloved rescue Cairn Terrier put down that morning but I've no Idea if that had anything to do with it or not.

• Friendly/supportive 16