Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

17 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Never seen a bottom loader 

And you don't want to.

I have encountered a bottom loading commercial dishwasher in a hired facility and very effective it was too, with what appeared to be clear and comprehensive operational instructions; went through the day of three meals no trouble at all until the self cleaning shutdown cycle. 

At which point very near the cleaning cycle end it sprayed the entire room with water. With immaculate timing the gent who managed the facility  hire appeared and said "Oh no it's happened again!". I directed his attention to what I now understood were the near-comprehensive instructions and identified where there was a crucially  missing step. Hopefully it was revised before the next hire...

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Quite odd. Every washing machine I have owned had a large lump of shaped concrete in the base to inhibit its roaming activities. Not seen here.....

Exactly, the whole idea is for the machine to destroy itself. 

Conversely, if the machine is too rigidly secured destruction ensues. An ex girlfriend of mine rented a newly refurbished flat with a couple of friends when she was at university and the landlord had provided a new washing machine built into the kitchen cabinets.

He'd neglected to remove the transport bar and three bolts and the first time that the machine was used it demolished the surrounding cupboards and ploughed its way through the floor covering as well as smashing up the rear of the machine casing.

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Reading the small print, the concrete counterbalance was removed and the washing machine secured to the pallet.  Looking at the way it came to bits, I'd suggest that there were few, if any, fixing screw remaining to hold the outer panels to the chassis of the washing machine.

Yet another contrived Youtube clip!

It's meant to be ridiculous!

I'm sure that there's a white goods fan forum out there where some expert knows the correct number and type of fasteners used, as if it were someone scoring in depth knowledge points about a class 37 or 142...

55 minutes ago, polybear said:

As well as every safety interlock, vibration sensor, control board etc. disconnected and the mains supply connected directly to the motor.

(Straightens anorak, clears throat loudly) 

I think you will also find that the "Whirlpool Wash-O-Matic badges fitted to this machine were only ever applied to the twin tub power mangle models manufactured between 1963 and 1968 whereas the machine in the video is clearly a post 1993 front loading automatic...

It's meant to be a silly clip! 

• Like 9
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Exactly, the whole idea is for the machine to destroy itself. 

Conversely, if the machine is too rigidly secured destruction ensues. An ex girlfriend of mine rented a newly refurbished flat with a couple of friends when she was at university and the landlord had provided a new washing machine built into the kitchen cabinets.

He'd neglected to remove the transport bar and three bolts and the first time that the machine was used it demolished the surrounding cupboards and ploughed its way through the floor covering as well as smashing up the rear of the machine casing.

When working with RN personnel I was told in all seriousness that the best person to install a washing machine was an RN Engineer who's served on submarines.  They tend to be experts in balancing rotating machinery; after all you wouldn't want Comrade Yevgeny being able to track the vibration signature from HMS Tiresome because someone's put their undies on a short spin cycle.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Having been involved with two self builds in N Wales, I don't think you are on your soapbox, but talking complete common sense.

An interesting point was that when we were building, the planners insisted on there being one off road parking space for every bedroom in the property.  This was in addition to any garage the property had.

Why this parameter is not applied to newbuild estates baffles me.

Nowadays a lack of parking spaces is imposed as a planning restriction in many cases.  Some flats were built in the grounds of our church. 18 flats but they were only allowed IIRC 10 carvparking spaces. The flats were for over 55's.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Having been involved with two self builds in N Wales, I don't think you are on your soapbox, but talking complete common sense.

An interesting point was that when we were building, the planners insisted on there being one off road parking space for every bedroom in the property.  This was in addition to any garage the property had.

Why this parameter is not applied to newbuild estates baffles me.

Developers - as well as having to make a profit - are constrained by the planning regulations introduced under John Prescott when he was DPM.  These specify a minimum number of dwellings per hectare, so modern estates cram houses in with little space between, tiny gardens and small garages.  Parking spaces take up, well, space.  Not long ago, one major developer was found to have commissioned special garage doors that look standard but are actually about 6" narrower; it was found that only a few cars sold in the UK would fit through them, but the houses are sold as have a "garage".  It also enabled them to fit at least one more house on the site where this was discovered, which probably earned them another £100k profit.

Our housing market has been broken for decades but it's unlikely to change any time soon; there are too many vested interests in keeping land and property prices high and rising; government (local and national), the Treasury, estate agents, developers, pension funds........  Note the lack of, "People who'd like a home to live in", from that list.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

When working with RN personnel I was told in all seriousness that the best person to install a washing machine was an RN Engineer who's served on submarines.  They tend to be experts in balancing rotating machinery; after all you wouldn't want Comrade Yevgeny being able to track the vibration signature from HMS Tiresome because someone's put their undies on a short spin cycle.

I dread to think what a WM for a Sub costs.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, polybear said:

Whatever the cost of a tin tub and a washboard is.

They are submariners not sailors!

They like nothing better than not having to shave fore a couple of weeks whilst wallowing in the stench of over boiled cabbage and body odour.

It must have been even worse before they introduced the more modern nuclear boats.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, polybear said:

dread to think what a WM for a Sub costs.

The ones on cruise ships have to be fairly robust rather than silent. The look of horror on some peoples faces when they have been sent down with their family washing and the machine isn’t like the one at home. I was in one of the laundrettes, when someone phoned the pursers office to arrange for someone to remove the water from the iron as water and electricity are “dangerous’. I had tried to explain that it was a steam iron. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, polybear said:

Actually (allowing for MoD's sometimes obscure procurement practices), about the same as what you and I would pay.  However a washing machine is wider than the bulkhead doors, so the machines have to be dismantled ashore and re-built in their designated location.  Another reason why they are very keen to see them "built right" and thus avoid having to repeat the exercise with a second machine, having already repeated it in reverse to remove the U/S one.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Whatever the cost of a tin tub and a washboard is.

They are submariners not sailors!

They like nothing better than not having to shave fore a couple of weeks whilst wallowing in the stench of over boiled cabbage and body odour.

It must have been even worse before they introduced the more modern nuclear boats.

The submariners song is "Nobody washes in a submarine".  I did hear it sung at at Ceildih at about 02.00  by the crew of an O class. 

Jamie

• Like 9

23 hours ago, Hroth said:

My parents had a top loader with a built in mangle and a drop-in tray so it could be used as a dishwasher...

Without wishing to insult your parents, I have a mental image of someone putting plates through the mangle ...

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

Without wishing to insult your parents, I have a mental image of someone putting plates through the mangle ...

They had the add-on dish washing basket, but it never got used.  I expect the sequence of washing would have been important, you wouldn't want to wash the dishes immediately after doing the "smalls".....

I do like the idea of drying the plates via the mangle!

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

The industrial washing machine I mentioned was a bit like a rotating petrol tanker. It was a round tube with a helix inside it. The helix effectively separated the tube into different stages. The tube repeatedly rotated through an angle then reversed rotation to wash the load by sloshing it around in the first stage. When it came time to advance it to the next stage the tube rotated through 360 degrees. I think there were about six different stages.

Edited by AndyID
Typos
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

They had the add-on dish washing basket, but it never got used.  I expect the sequence of washing would have been important, you wouldn't want to wash the dishes immediately after doing the "smalls".....

I do like the idea of drying the plates via the mangle!

My parents always referred to the powered one on the washing machine as a wringer. We also had a big old mangle but it was removed from the washing-house and relegated to to the back garden. Eventually it was dismantled and scrapped.

• Like 9

15 hours ago, polybear said:

"You climb over the seats and out of the hatchback, Sir.........."

I do the same with Mickey the MG** - and if I can pick a space where only one car can park next to it -  such as having a flower bed on (ideally) the driver's side then even better as it halves the risk.  Why the driver's side?  Well if a side were to get dented then I'd much rather it wasn't the side that I see as soon as I open the front door of Bear Towers as it'd p1ss me off for ever more.

(Sorry Wolfie - that's a chinese MG.....)

If you parked up there in our local supermarche you'd have a choice of either being kneecapped by our friendly neighbourhood drug dealers or getting the baked beans with twenty percent off thrown at you.

So I've been told.

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

What's rugby?

It's a game played (mostly) by men with odd-shaped balls.

("mostly" is included as I have no wish to offend - again -  but well done NZ)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6