Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Glad to hear there is some progress - albeit slow.

Gabepentin/Neurontin worked for me when the pain was bad.

I ended up on 6 per day.

One of those drugs where the dosage is increased/decreased at one tablet per week................

I'm now down to one every 2-3 days and zero at the best times.

I think that Gabepentin may have been one of the drugs he mentioned.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think Mackeson stout was available on prescription at one time. 

When Jill was a staff nurse on an orthopaedic ward in 1966, Mackeson was given to the patients as it was believed that it helped 'build them up' after operations.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Thanks Stephen,

I was pointing this out in the vain hope of preventing Mick from blowing his turbocharger up with the thought of panniers suddenly able to cruise at 130 mph down Penrhos Bank.

The only image I have of a paneer doing 130mph is vertically off a cliff..............

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Which I think you can see is most naturally understood as referring to the weight of the engine alone.

Of course a 4-6-2 generating the same power is a lighter 4-6-0 is inefficient: it is having to move its own excess weight as well as the weight of the train.

Yes, I should have stressed that it was the all up train weight aspect that was referred to. Must rmember not to attempt posting while cokking dinner...

The real ''punch' in all this is the pacific format's enabling not only the larger grate area with better sustained air supply over time in operation, but also a larger superheater to grate area ratio, which  compensates for the extra weight because more of the combustion energy goes into the steam rather than evaporation of water. (This last is one of the factors that makes the tractive effort formula unreliable as a predictor of power output, because it uses saturated steam presrure alone.)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Another, not often commented on, benefit of a Pacific is the ability to have a larger ashpan and thus enabling longer runs without choking the fire.

Dave

However:

Q. What do you call a Pacific that doesn't slip?

A. A 4-6-0

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that Gabepentin may have been one of the drugs he mentioned.

Dave

It did wonders for the aged spaniel. Hydrotherapy helped too. Robbie’s rear legs were really weak and he was very unhappy. Of course this happened on a Bank Holiday weekend. I did think I probably would be returning home without a dog but the emergency vet had access to his notes and they said to start him on gabapentin when his legs were weak. Like all things with that dog, he became unwell quickly but also recovered quickly. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I think Mackeson stout was available on prescription at one time. 

It was given out to new mothers every night in Leeds Maternity Hospital, in those days Mackeson was brewed at Kirkstall in a building that I think is now student flats. 

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Should work for me then or will I just develop floppy ears and pant a lot?

Dave

MiL seems ok on it. It hasn’t made her jump in streams or roll in fox poo. 

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

When Jill was a staff nurse on an orthopaedic ward in 1966, Mackeson was given to the patients as it was believed that it helped 'build them up' after operations.

Dave

Dad and I visited Mum after an op in a London Hospital (the Middlsex IIRC) in the late 70s.  The ward sister came round and asked if we'd like a cup of tea. Dad said "he'd rather have a beer".  She fetched me a can of Guinness. Mrs mole was recommended a Guinness a day when pregnant with Martyn, but we had to buy it.

• Like 7
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'm probably going to be alone in saying that I rather like that and it's a pity that it wasn't progressed. Shades of Hiawatha meets Bulleid.

I wonder if some of the 3D model producers could be persuaded to produce a body for the Hornby Schools chassis?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

When I was training before I qualified the hospital pharmacy supplied spirits whilst beers etc  could be obtained via the kitchens/catering department.

I also had a difficult decision to make regarding a back operation when I as in my early 20s. Bit the bullet so to speak and never regretted it. 

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I had my covid booster last night and had a rough night as a result, though things appear to be better now.  Some modelling got done and I'm off trainspotting later.  Not a bad day ahead. 

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7