Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

I couldn't lay my hands on any Pannier photos so here's one of an early low numbered Finsbury Par kallocated Brush Type 4 instead... 😉

15xx1506Paddington.jpg.548a993f3dcd0e5424962dc6e97f4073.jpg

A car park shenanigan with a difference - back in March I went to the big classic car restoration show at the NEC where the Sporting Bears charity were offering rides in various cars,  as is my wont I chose the 1971 Lotus Europa and after a wizz bang exciting 20 minute ride we returned to the halls and drive under the car park barrier at full ghusto, and yes, I did automatically duck...!

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I even found her old hockey stick and hung it up as an example of an offensive weapon.

Funnily enough she now wants to keep it in the house in case she wants to hit anyone.  Should I be worried... Answers on a postcard please.

Jamie  who is looking for a crash helmet,

As a matter of interest did you find your old hockey stick?

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

drive under the car park barrier at full ghusto, and yes, I did automatically duck...!

Not anything like as low, but when I first drove  into multi-storey carparks when I got my first Freelander there was a strong inclination to duck, even though I knew what it’s height limit was. Pipes and beams  look much closer than they are! On my third taller car, I am now used to it. As I only occasionally drive our Fiesta now, that seems awfully close to the ground. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Wait until your grandchildren are starting secondary school - then you really do feel old 🥲

Dave

My great niece has just left secondary school ,  

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at all the shiny 16 ton mineral wagons reminds me that I have at least 24 to make a little less pristine.

In fact the majority of the fleet will have to undergo what New Bryford describes as rendering valuable rolling stock worthless.

To be fair, I have a number of early Lionheart versions of the D1/114 variant which look almost purple in colour, so that will end up as a complete repaint  to make up a fitted train.  Probably best to paint them grungy black and rust first, then over spray with bauxite before using a chipping technique to expose the rust once more.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Just for you here's the up journey it made earlier in the day.20230902_114425.jpg.6543922f8d512194dcd897dba2ad2b90.jpg

Then it stopped when it saw the Hippo on the bridge.

20230902_154807.jpg.7248224287a008609f97ea63f00a0645.jpg

Thanks!

All I can afford are the Lima/Hornby OO versions, though I've a selection of those ranging from "GWR" to BR Green with speed whiskers...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Just for you here's the up journey it made earlier in the day. Then it stopped when it saw the Hippo on the bridge.

20230902_154807.jpg.7248224287a008609f97ea63f00a0645.jpg

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Thanks!

All I can afford are the Lima/Hornby OO versions, though I've a selection of those ranging from "GWR" to BR Green with speed whiskers...

I recently (after saving up a lot of Deltics, as the Bear would say!) bought the recently released Dapol O scale one as it reminded me of one of these:

ElectricCityTrolleyMuseum2005-019F.JPG.eecf3a7cb19f98b0286edc34ce30837a.JPG

but in the maroon and cream colors.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Wait until your grandchildren are starting secondary school - then you really do feel old 🥲

Or like mine, eldest granddaughter has been at work for about 6 years, grandson is about to start his 4th year at Uni and and youngest granddaughter is about to start her second year.  I think ancient is how I feel...or even slightly older than that.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Or like mine, eldest granddaughter has been at work for about 6 years, grandson is about to start his 4th year at Uni and and youngest granddaughter is about to start her second year.  I think ancient is how I feel...or even slightly older than that.

So when the inevitable does happen will GDB start to be described as GGDB. 

Jamie

• Funny 17

8 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

A car park shenanigan with a difference - back in March I went to the big classic car restoration show at the NEC where the Sporting Bears charity were offering rides in various cars,  as is my wont I chose the 1971 Lotus Europa and after a wizz bang exciting 20 minute ride we returned to the halls and drive under the car park barrier at full ghusto, and yes, I did automatically duck...!

Like this?

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/heinz-meixner-defect-removing-windshield-1963/

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I recently (after saving up a lot of Deltics, as the Bear would say!) bought the recently released Dapol O scale one as it reminded me of one of these:

ElectricCityTrolleyMuseum2005-019F.JPG.eecf3a7cb19f98b0286edc34ce30837a.JPG

but in the maroon and cream colors.

With that quiff, it looks like an Elvis impersonator!

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A friend of mine became a great grandad at the age of 54, that was 21 years ago and I have since lost touch with him but it's possible he's now a great great grandad.

Wow, some families either don't learn or perhaps learn too quickly.

A colleague of my wife's 20-odd years ago became a grandmother at 32.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Wow, some families either don't learn or perhaps learn too quickly.

A colleague of my wife's 20-odd years ago became a grandmother at 32.

Good grief. Jill and I didn't become grandparents until we were in our early 60s.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

So in case anyone has forgotten what they look like, here is 5717 about to move the loaded train and collect the brake van before making the trek down the Efflew valley to Radyr Junction.

20230902_113507.jpg.c1d7c0ee96334738a54ae2235d8b35cf.jpg

Target boards on the 'to do list' HH ?

Perhaps "Y23" for a Radyr working ?

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Not anything like as low, but when I first drove  into multi-storey carparks when I got my first Freelander there was a strong inclination to duck, even though I knew what it’s height limit was. Pipes and beams  look much closer than they are! On my third taller car, I am now used to it. As I only occasionally drive our Fiesta now, that seems awfully close to the ground. 

I get the same impression when I'm driving the truck. No so much with IDSPIDY 😀. Mind you I'm not sure it would clear a parking arm.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A friend of mine became a great grandad at the age of 54, that was 21 years ago and I have since lost touch with him but it's possible he's now a great great grandad.

I'm too scared to do the math.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A pleasant day was had using the tractor's backhoe to help a neighbor relocate some plumbing arrangements. A lot of the sub-soil here is pure clay and no fun at all to dig by hand. Even the little backhoe (Bach-hoe in Wales?) struggles with it, but it gets there. We have to go down more that three feet here to get below the frost line.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a Dr.'s appointment at 1:45. At noon the weatherman from the next city was standing (with umbrella) in the rain. We had blue skies.

When we drove out of the garage a bit after 1:00 it started pouring heavily. It did this in fits and starts until we were close to the office.  It was dry when I got out of the car and back in.

We've been in our house for 10 years. That's been time for 2 generations of students through the University next door plus a bit.

Dayle is a great-great-aunt through her half-sister, who was about 10 years older than Dayle. Her oldest nephew got married a few years after we did; I think another nephew and a niece were married before that.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Good grief. Jill and I didn't become grandparents until we were in our early 60s.

Dave

The UK record for becoming a Granny is 30, apparently; as a result her own Mother became a GGM at 48.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

All my grandparents were born in the 19thCentury.

Same here. In fact my dad was born in the first decade of the 20th. I'm pretty sure my parents thought the stuff I was doing with computers in the late 60's and early 70's was a modern form of witchcraft.

• Like 10
  • Funny 2