Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, bbishop said:

I'll ask the question in TNM, knowing we have three Midland Railway enthusiasts who can answer for their railway.  

It is apparent, from my research into the London & South Western Railway, that some directorships were regional.  So there would be a director representing Devon, another Dorset, another Hampshire. There was always a couple of bankers and, after the acquisition of Southampton Docks in 1892, a couple of shipping magnates.  But were the regional directorships typical of other railways?

Bill

An interesting point Bill but something I’ve never heard of in connection with the Midland, which doesn’t of course mean it didn’t happen.

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

.......Firkham Hall........

🤣🤣

Excellent - love it.

A certain ex. presenter on Countdown named her house "Sloblock Hall".  I'll let fellow TNM'ers work that one out....

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

🤣🤣

Excellent - love it.

A certain ex. presenter on Countdown named her house "Sloblock Hall".  I'll let fellow TNM'ers work that one out....

I have managed to come up with something that starts 'All B....' but I'm Left with a spare H. 

Dave

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I had a McCulloch chainsaw some years ago, very good bit of kit, despite what the chainsaw snobs said (Stihl saw or no saw.)

Ditto. I have a McCulloch electric

Chain saw and it is a great bit of kit. 

33 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

33 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have managed to cochain saw and it's a greatme up with something that starts 'All B....' but I'm Left with a spare H.

Dave

Be careful you don't find another H.  We have enough trouble with one HH. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have managed to come up with something that starts 'All B....' but I'm Left with a spare H. 

Dave

Just forget the "Hall", it is not part of the equation.

Note: Even poor me caught on to this one! Hmmm, a new HALL class name to be rostered after my "DUNGFIELD HALL" . 😉

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

It is quite warm in Bordeaux this afternoon.  I have not found a decent nuddy hollow as everything is a bit parched.  However, I have found a Hippodrome on the bus map so will investigate further.

Quite a few Irish and Welsh fans have already arrived.  We are planning on watching the Ireland match on Saturday at the fan zone which is situated on the river bank. One presumes it is above the tidal reach🤣.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It is quite warm in Bordeaux this afternoon.  I have not found a decent nuddy hollow as everything is a bit parched.  However, I have found a Hippodrome on the bus map so will investigate further.

Quite a few Irish and Welsh fans have already arrived.  We are planning on watching the Ireland match on Saturday at the fan zone which is situated on the river bank. One presumes it is above the tidal reach🤣.

Enjoy yourselves. If you are near the old custom house don't get lost in the alleys between the riverfront and the centre ladies of dubious virtue have been known there.  

I was told that by a friend of course. 

Bon chance. 

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

7 hours ago, bbishop said:

But were the regional directorships typical of other railways?

Doesn't look to be the case with the Great Central (1912 shown). Look more like aristocrats and landed gentry were the main recruiting ground, with a bias towards those resident in London and MPs

image.png.70f6991354cd040e6727fc936dfbad94.png

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DenysW said:

Doesn't look to be the case with the Great Central (1912 shown). Look more like aristocrats and landed gentry were the main recruiting ground, with a bias towards those resident in London and MPs

What did you expect? That was HS1 ...🤣

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Mrs SM42 is back from  her first full day herding cats   teaching pre school children and has decreed alcohol  is required and chas na grilla  i.e. fire up the barbie. 

Looks like I'm duty cook tonight  then. 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Staying for a few days with friends in Mid-Wales. Awoke to a BBC online weather forecast that promised us wall-to-wall sunshine the whole day. Dressed and went out accordingly. The reality has been wall-to-wall cloud through which the sun has never once peeked. But the BBC website still shows “Scorchio!”

Wouldn’t mind so much but we had the same happen for three days in succession on a short break in Jersey in the Spring. With all the technology available in the second decade of the 21st Century, why can they not even get this stuff right in “real time”, let alone as a forecast for the day ahead.

And these people want us to believe they can predict with a high degree of certainty what the climate will be like in 50 years time?  Somehow I don’t think so …

Bah, humbug!!!

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

...snip... And these people want us to believe they can predict with a high degree of certainty what the climate will be like in 50 years time?  Somehow I don’t think so …

Bah, humbug!!!

Actually, that might be easier as "they" have the past hundreds of years to study.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Actually, that might be easier as "they" have the past hundreds of years to study.

I’m not so sure. Thirty years or so ago I remember distinctly that the next big “climate change”, within a century or so and therefore based on the “past hundreds of years” was going to be the onset of a new Ice Age. Look how that has turned out …

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

I’m not so sure. Thirty years or so ago I remember distinctly that the next big “climate change”, within a century or so and therefore based on the “past hundreds of years” was going to be the onset of a new Ice Age. Look how that has turned out …

I recall our geography teacher confidently informing us that by the year 2000 the world's oil supplies would be exhausted, the forests of Scandinavia would have succumbed to acid rain and by 2020 parts of southeastern England would be underwater.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

35 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I recall our geography teacher confidently informing us that by the year 2000 the world's oil supplies would be exhausted, the forests of Scandinavia would have succumbed to acid rain and by 2020 parts of southeastern England would be underwater.

The Daily Express has been forecasting doom for years. People don’t always read the actual science reports properly. A comment about “worst case if nothing changes “gets turned into panic headlines. Also there is a lot more computing power now  available to throw at climate models. We live in a funny area that doesn’t really fit into accurate local weather forecasts. Possibly because we are on an estuary with an island just offshore. We can often see the forecast weather going either side of Benfleet. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

It was 36.6 on our terrasse late afternoon, according to my weather-station. Not much breeze. I did get some mowing done much earlier today, before the heat really hit. We expect cooler temps on Monday, maybe with rain, and storms Tuesday. Both Sherry and Alison ask if I'm doing too much, too soon? It is now three days since my GA, and I seem to be coping - so why not? 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I did some railway modelling this afternoon. Not whittling oak or bending brass, just rearranging electrons. I bought a sound equipped loco recently that when placed on the programming track was dead. The rather jolly manufacturer booklet suggested contacting them. I know that consumer rights specify the retailer but this was a limited production item so I assumed the manufacturer might be better. I filled in their online form and there was no response. I contacted their customer services who responded quickly, confirmed the form had been seen and said their service technician would contact me. Nothing happened so I contacted the retailer who emailed me a return label. The day it was posted I received a communication from the manufacturer with a return label, but also a message saying they were busy and it might be  2 to 3 weeks before it was dealt with.  A day after it reached the retailer, they checked it and phoned me to say the decoder was dead, did I want a replacement or refund.They had a checked one ready to go for me. It arrived this lunchtime. So I placed it on the programming track, and it behaved itself perfectly. Glad I didn’t go for the refund now.
The really helpful retailer was Rails of Sheffield. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Apparently this weather is unprecedented and then they announcement it has happened 4 times before that September has been this warm

Unprecedented is becoming like next, completely misused or just misunderstood. 

Today I have been tidying small buildings in the garden. 

It was warm work and one was perspiring freely. 

Time was taken to sit in the shade with a nice long drink of water and I actually felt cold.  

A very odd sensation given the weather conditions

Andy

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Apparently this weather is unprecedented and then they announcement it has happened 4 times before that September has been this warm

Unprecedented is becoming like next, completely misused or just misunderstood. 

Today I have been tidying small buildings in the garden. 

It was warm work and one was perspiring freely. 

Time was taken to sit in the shade with a nice long drink of water and I actually felt cold.  

A very odd sensation given the weather conditions

Andy

Something similar happened with me this afternoon. I was doing some gardening - strimming, pruning and mowing if you must know and it really was quite cold. So much so that I thought that the weather had changed. It hadn't. When I went to the front of the house I was hit by a wave of heat.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

seem to be coping - so why not? 

If you were supposed to not move about, I suspect the doctors/nurses would have told you. After Robbie had the parathyroid tumour removed , the vet was concerned about protecting the surgery site after the stitches came out. When she said to limit exercise, I said he would go bonkers without a walk, so she said ok, just no swimming.  
I think when I have had conscious sedation the do not drive, operate machinery or sign documents for 24 hours is probably sensible. I am convinced I am fine but experience has shown me I am not really, the medications make me delusional! 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DenysW said:

An interesting collection of names.  You could argue that some of them are on the GC's patch (Leicester, Nottingham, Lincolnshire as well as London).  The one that slightly confuses me is Sir B.G.D. Sheffield, who is listed as Normanby Park, Doncaster.  I thought that Normanby Park was on the outskirts of Scunthorpe (definitely GC territory).

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Something similar happened with me this afternoon. I was doing some gardening - strimming, pruning and mowing if you must know and it really was quite cold. So much so that I thought that the weather had changed. It hadn't. When I went to the front of the house I was hit by a wave of heat.

The power of evaporation for cooling at work but rarely noticed. 

I  currently taking advantage of the power  by having having cold beer  

Andy

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2