Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

2 hours ago, bbishop said:

I never had a murder trial when empanelled on a jury but, were the death penalty extant, I would have voted "not guilty".  I find the act of killing anyone abhorrent.  Lock them up for life, 24 hours a day in the cell, fed on bread, water and unlimited fags - fine, but killing them - no.

That amounts to torture. I'm not sure which is worse.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

💥💥 VOTE BEAR 💥💥

YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE

Dave

If @polybear needs a constituency to get started in on his climb to political greatness we need a new MP here in Puppershire now the previous inhabitant has finally gone after threatening to do so months ago.      

One can only speculate on the reason(s) as to why she took so long to actually do so (but probably not here .....)  Mind you, I've got a 42 page list in 6pt of possible excuses reasons.

Anyway, nice weather for the time of year .......

• Like 10

My wife follows her mother's approach to cooking vegetables; essentially that if you can tell what it was originally, it hasn't been boiled for long enough.

I particularly detest butternut squash, a sloppy orange slush with stringy bits and no discernible flavour; especially notorious around here as a waste of good curry powder. 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That amounts to torture. I'm not sure which is worse.

At least incarcerating them for life, or a great number of years anyway, gives them plenty of time to reflect on what they have done and how much misery they have caused. I don't actually advocate the 24 hours in a cell on bread and water bit as I think that may just make them resentful rather than penitent but I do think that comforts such as TV, gym attendance, comfortable furniture and suchlike should be withheld (yes, I know that the actual level of deprivation would be difficult to establish but given enough consideration and sensible discussion I think it could be arrived at). And should it turn out that they have been wrongfully imprisoned they can actually be released whereas digging them up would be a bit futile. 

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

My wife follows her mother's approach to cooking vegetables; essentially that if you can tell what it was originally, it hasn't been boiled for long enough.

I particularly detest butternut squash, a sloppy orange slush with stringy bits and no discernible flavour; especially notorious around here as a waste of good curry powder. 

I think it may have been Les Dawson who said that midsummer's day marked the time that the sprouts should be put on for Christmas.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think it may have been Les Dawson who said that midsummer's day marked the time that the sprouts should be put on for Christmas.

Dave

Midsummers Day might be a bit premature, but as its the start of Meterological Autumn tomorrow, planning for sprout boiling should be approaching the top of the list!

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

And gardening so they know where the wood comes from plus learning about the correct time to prune things (prime minister's excluded from this last item)

That was called rural studies when I was at school , it included agriculture, horticulture, forestry and us digging the schools gardens to supplement the school food supplies.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Midsummers Day might be a bit premature, but as its the start of Meterological Autumn tomorrow, planning for sprout boiling should be approaching the top of the list!

Surely they'll be rock hard if you've left it as late as Autumn!

Actually,   I really like nice sprouts but like cholesterol, there are two types;  good and bad.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Darlington_Shed said:

You're doing it wrong. Slice it, roast it under a high heat until lightly caramelised around the edges. Delicious!

Aditi found a recipe for a butternut squash risotto. It wasn’t bad but I always had weird dreams afterwards. Perhaps it was the porcini or the combination thereof. I can recall one of the dreams , I was being chased by a vampire panda. Not a real panda though, an animated cuddly toy panda. Memorable as I threw myself out of bed and hit the radiator. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

That was called rural studies when I was at school , it included agriculture, horticulture, forestry and us digging the schools gardens to supplement the school food supplies.

I remember we all had to do rural studies for one year prior to our "options".  Almost all of the people who did it to 16 were from the remedial class (or nearly) but I'll bet a few of them ended up holding down a job for a gardening firm or similar.

1 hour ago, Darlington_Shed said:

You're doing it wrong. Slice it, roast it under a high heat until lightly caramelised around the edges. Delicious!

Many vegetables that people generally don't like, can taste delicious when roasted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Welcome back Brian. Just in time to give us some guidance on who to vote for at the next election and your views on the role of the church in British society, 🤣

Dave 

"No Comment"

I'll seek refuge in "The Fifth Amendment"

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, bbishop said:

welcome back, Brian, and this time don't call an artiodactyla a perissodactyla.

Thank you

I have a strong taste of A+ in my mouth from continually biting my tongue.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

11 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I remember we all had to do rural studies for one year prior to our "options".  Almost all of the people who did it to 16 were from the remedial class (or nearly) but I'll bet a few of them ended up holding down a job for a gardening firm or similar.

Yep sounds about right. Gardening was always treated like a dumping ground in those days. Somewhere to put the people who for what ever reason didn't fit in. Which if you think about was a sad reflection not only there teachers but also what they knew about 'gardening'.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the tool kit, everything seems ready to go and the car is packed, less the locos and stock, which are in two boxes and will be loaded tomorrow morning.  They stand in the hallway and to get out of the door I either have to pick them up or fall over them.

One thing I have decided to take is some interlocking sponge matting to stand on.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

That was called rural studies

We had our, rather fancy for Somervale School, version known as Rural Science.

Exactly the same with added animal care and bees (not that you could get anywhere near their hives {the insurance for my secondary school must have been astronomical already} as there was a six foot chain link fence around them).  I guess it being rural Somerset it made sense, although a guy I knew was in the "Armoured Farmers", better known as the 3rd RTR. Whether his studies in rural science helped or not it didn't stop him from driving a tank.

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 7
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I remember a programme I used to listen to on the radio called Dawn Patrol. Sprout boiling would become a recurrent subject round about Whitsun 

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PupCam said:

If @polybear needs a constituency to get started in on his climb to political greatness we need a new MP here in Puppershire now the previous inhabitant has finally gone after threatening to do so months ago.      

One can only speculate on the reason(s) as to why she took so long to actually do so (but probably not here .....)  Mind you, I've got a 42 page list in 6pt of possible excuses reasons.

Ah yes, that'll be Doris......

Another Bear policy will be to get scrotes on Community Service, as well as low security prison scrotes near the end of their sentences working (unpaid) on road gangs fixin' potholes.

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

At least incarcerating them for life, or a great number of years anyway, gives them plenty of time to reflect on what they have done and how much misery they have caused. I don't actually advocate the 24 hours in a cell on bread and water bit as I think that may just make them resentful rather than penitent but I do think that comforts such as TV, gym attendance, comfortable furniture and suchlike should be withheld (yes, I know that the actual level of deprivation would be difficult to establish but given enough consideration and sensible discussion I think it could be arrived at). And should it turn out that they have been wrongfully imprisoned they can actually be released whereas digging them up would be a bit futile. 

Dave

Make Prison suitably bad and it should make the scrotes think twice about going back there again.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

The secret to making Brussels Sprouts more

enjoyable to eat is to add a teaspoon of ground nutmeg powder to the water when boiling them. And don’t over-boil them, whatever your Wife’s Granny says. 

Alternatively don’t boil them at all - chop up and sauté them in a frying pan, again with a little nutmeg and some small bits of crispy bacon. Lovely with your Christmas Dinner that way!

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower are my three top favorite veggies. The second two are available as a nice mix and, if desired, can be eaten raw as in a salad. The best of both worlds!

Broccoli and cauliflower is great covered with grated cheese and baked until it turns brown. Even better if the cheese includes crumbled Stilton.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

My thinking is that if the main argument against the death penalty is the risk of wrongful conviction then "unusual punishment" is just as destructive to someone serving life after being wrongfully convicted. The argument that "at least we didn't kill him" doesn't quite work for me.

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, polybear said:

Get them good n' hooked on the Fags for a few years then take them away - and watch them bouncin' off the walls.

Ian Brady went stir crazy and was reputedly suffering from Dementia before he died.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Ian Brady went stir crazy and was reputedly suffering from Dementia before he died.

I think Ian Brady started at a different level of sanity from most people.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Broccoli and cauliflower is great covered with grated cheese and baked until it turns brown. Even better if the cheese includes crumbled Stilton.

Does the B or C need any pre cooking before going in the oven?  Any idea how long & temp in the oven?

• Like 3