Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

I too like to see whats going on in front of me when I'm driving but as cars and vans seem to be getting bigger and you are unable to see around them. Also many have blacked out rear windows which just adds to the problem.

• Agree 5

47 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I too like to see whats going on in front of me when I'm driving but as cars and vans seem to be getting bigger and you are unable to see around them. Also many have blacked out rear windows which just adds to the problem.

They're definitely getting fatter. I've owned a lot of cars from the fifties and sixties and apart from liking the styling, something that is probably a revelation to anyone brought up on post 1980 cars is the fact that very often you can see all four corners from the driving seat, even on cars that are eighteen feet long.

I loved driving my 1989 Astra GTE, but hated parking it. The high rear end, boot spoiler, rear wash wipe, tinted glass and thick screen pillars made manoeuvres a leap of faith at times.

Don't get me started on chunky Fisher Price steering wheels...

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, newbryford said:

That's a bit like 

Her: "I went out with you (other "more direct" terms are available) because you told me you are paid to travel and have an ever changing view from the office window

And you drive a £200,000 company vehicle.

Now you tell me you're a bus driver........."

But not a lie, as such...

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, pH said:

The famous economist JK Galbraith told a story like that against himself.

He grew up on a farm in rural Ontario. One evening, as a young man, he was taking a countryside walk with a young lady. They passed a field on the family farm where the bull had been put in with several cows, and was doing what he had been put there to do. Galbraith, seizing the opportunity to raise the subject, said “That looks like fun - I fancy doing it.” To which the young lady replied “Go for it - they’re your cows!”

A splendid retort! Rather like the chap who walks into a pub, orders a pint and while standing at the bar sees another punter's dog lying on the floor licking its bits. "Coo, I wish I could do that!" "Well, give him a bag of crisps and he'll let you!" 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

A splendid retort! Rather like the chap who walks into a pub, orders a pint and while standing at the bar sees another punter's dog lying on the floor licking its bits. "Coo, I wish I could do that!" "Well, give him a bag of crisps and he'll let you!" 

9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

That reminds me of the man who was in a pub, and saw the landlord's dog licking it's own knutsac.

'I wish I could do that' said the man to the Landlord.

The Landlord replied:  ' Give him a couple of crisps and he'll let you!'

Bears repetition?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

That's funnier than the one I wrote about🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

Oh dear are things that desperate as we appear to be recycling Jasper carrot jokes. Personally I prefer the one about the alsatian with the hare lip or what about the mother in law's driving lesson with the choke that puts oil into the ashtray.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I think that we all remember that joke from childhood, but when you get older, you realise the possibility of being able to lick one's own is nowhere near as fun or fulfilling as having someone else do it for you...

• Agree 6
  • Funny 7

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think that we all remember that joke from childhood, but when you get older, you realise the possibility of being able to lick one's own is nowhere near as fun or fulfilling as having someone else do it for you...

Oooooh Matron!!!!!!!!🤣

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, bbishop said:

I agree about black humour - it certainly extends to volunteers.

I'm getting old.  I decided to put on a long wash (2½ hours) then go out for a walk.  Unfortunately both sets of house keys were in the wash.  Walk cancelled.  Bill

Look on the bright side....it could've been your mobile phone in a jacket pocket (ask Bear how he knows....)

It did survive though, after drying out with silca gel crystals for a few days.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9