Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Shock Horror!

If the strike is not settled, we may run out of Irn-Bru!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-66455140

Not that it'll affect me, I can't remember ever consuming the stuff...

I had never tried Irn Bru in my 66 years of life. But just recently, my curiosity got the better of me. Not a good experience.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I had never tried Irn Bru in my 66 years of life. But just recently, my curiosity got the better of me. Not a good experience.

Like fine wine, it's an acquired taste.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Friend Gordon had been restoring an old Ford Popular. I recently discovered where he got it from. Rumour has it that it was used as a very slow getaway car, when some of the local tearaways  stole some sherbet dabs from the Aberflyarff newsagents. It was abandoned by the line and was never recovered.20230811_084050.jpg.46463b6346aadb7bb035b0666b63111f.jpg

That famous local crime fighting duo, Rolley and Gunstone, are still looking into it, and an arrest in the Roath area of Cardiff, is said to be imminent.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

So nipping a potentially problem topic in the bud gently instead of letting it blow up was wrong? Applying the same rules to a poster that have been applied in the past is wrong?

TNM is a public forum. Anyone can land on it. They don't know the context, they don't know the people. I have to guess where a topic is heading and work out how it can be deliberately misconstrued. There are a number of people on Facebook, known to both Andy and I, who would love to post screenshots taken out of context claiming this a a hotbed of racism. It isn't IMHO, but I won't give them the ammunition, hence my original post. Most people got that.

If that happens, you can waive goodbye to the forum. Andy and I will be out of our jobs, the troublemakers will be happy, the rest will shrug their shoulders and walk away. 

I do have some ideas to get around this, and will discuss them with Andy when he gets back from holiday. I don't think giving this thread the level of privacy you want to allow a freer level of speach is impossible, it's just not in my skillset.

After that, I promise to leave RMweb, delete my account and not come within 100 miles of the members day, where I am sure I'm very much not wanted. I've booked a chat with my boss to talk about removing moderation from my role, it was changing anyway, so that's no great problem. 

Hopefully, this can be sorted, although I suspect not to everyone's satisfaction. 

Hi Phil,

What I try to do (although I often fail) is not to say anything that I would not say to a total stranger if I met them in person. That's important for those of us living in the US. There are a range of extreme positions on just about everything here and even if one assumes they are on the same page as everyone else they could be in for an unpleasant surprise. There are topics here that I will never bring up with my neighbors even though I am on good terms with them and they probably do likewise with me.

Anyway, please hang in there.

AndyID

• Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I still don’t know what the original fuss was about, but I’ve now seen enough to offer this comment. 

You go on a ‘moderated’ website, you play by the Moderators’ Rules. If you don’t like them, don’t play. It is no secret to anyone regularly on RMWeb that the moderation in general can occasionally seem a little bit … shall we say, sensitive … (especially to what it perceives as criticism); but it is not usually intrusive, and ‘warnings’ are usually given when a thread is getting near the edge of what in the Moderator’s eyes, rightly or wrongly in the Poster’s eyes, is acceptable. I can live with and work with that, given the great value to be gained from being on here. 

There have been times over the years that I’ve felt like indulging in a small “flame war”; but knowing how it will end I tend to back off. Being a moderator is a thankless task even on a comparatively benign site like this, and I would be very sorry to see anyone feel they ought to give it up. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

Being a moderator is a thankless task even on a comparatively benign site like this,

Thanks for this, but can I ask that we leave the moderation discussion for a few days. I have an idea how we can fix this, and stop it happening again, but these have to wait until Andy is back on Monday.

In the meantime, I need to make some stuff for the pages of BRM and so can't be watching the discussion all day. If you want to rant more, PM me. If this all gets too heated, I'll have to lock the thread and I really hate doing that, but I simply can't be staring at a screen today. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

That’s unnecessary in my opinion. There was a problem, it’s been sorted out, everyone involved has learned something from it and because of that it is unlikely to arise again. Obviously other problems may arise but given moderation and a reasonable measure of flexibility and goodwill they can be solved.

Dave

And on that point, having left it a little time for contributors  to catch up and make their own observations, we will now put this to bed.

So, no further comments about moderation etc.

Thank you all.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 6

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

A BMW I think. M series?

I know it isnt but it looks somewhat reminiscent of the aftermath of the Bentley GT that Top Gear used in the Northern Territory.  It wasn't damaged but had to be completely stripped down to its parts so  the fine red bulldust could be removed from inside everything, then stone chips repaired and the lot resprayed.

image.png.ead72983d94a0f2e9b119a7b5b763555.png

The Before picture

image.png.d19968c35730748d2427d0a035642450.png

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking of coloured Bentleys, I saw one the other week, in a sort of turquoisy-blue metallic, and it was a hideous SUV. In line with recent comments about BMW owners, it was parked outside our cheap hotel all weekend - Travelodge.  Travelodge where, you ask? Crewe, where they make Bentleys....

In fact we were picked up from the hotel to go to the dance extravaganza by John, who used to work at Bentley, and who expected his grandson to do the same. He may yet do so, but he is about to start his second year at college in Manchester, so if he goes to the car-maker, he won't be spending much time on the shop floor, as John did. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, NBL said:

I recently interviewed for a job, I wasn't successful.  I asked for feedback and was told that although I scored highest out of the interviewees, my reference to "he" and "she" in scenario examples showed that I would not fit in the company due to my gender prejudice.  I should have referred to them as "They".  

I put it to the person giving me the feedback that those people may prefer to be known as "He" and "She" and not "They" to which I received no response.

It was a large, well known company, who it seems would rather employ someone who ticks the boxes rather than someone with the skills to do the job.

Yet people got all offended when I suggested that we refer to everyone as "it" to save any confusion....

• Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

On influencers:

1. The percentage of people calling themselves an influencer who can actually earn a living doing it, is probably less than 2% of the total.  You don't get to hear of the people who hire an expensive car for a few months, buy some expensive clothes and accessories then waltz around asking for free stuff, while earning NOTHING.  You don't get to hear about their red bills from credit card companies and the hire car company seizing the Bentley either, or the individual's return to their suburban housing estate home from where they go and try to earn a normal living like anyone else.

2. Creating am image of wealth is arguably more important for these people, than actually having it.  Not so long ago I was overtaken on the M4 by a Lamborghini with adverts on the side for some sort of crypto currency investment.  I'd not risk 50p on that investment, but would bet considerably more that the driver's "company" which promotes that investment, pays for the Lambo at £10k/month.  It's probably a cost-effective way of embedding the message in the gullible that crypto currency equals wealth.

3. The sellers of some products and services - the obvious ones like hair, beauty, clothes and accessories - will make good use of influencers who are watched by their target market (usually young women desperate to look like about 50% of other young women).  Other businesses s are less impressed at random people approaching them,  announcing how terribly famous they are and asking for free stuff.  There was great story a few years ago about a South Manchester(?) restaurant who finally lost patience with one influencer who asked via their Facebook page for a free meal.  The owner's response went viral - often forwarded by other restauranteurs - and could be summarised as:

"This is a business.  Even my own family pays for their food in this restaurant. Get lost".

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Friend Gordon had been restoring an old Ford Popular. I recently discovered where he got it from. Rumour has it that it was used as a very slow getaway car, when some of the local tearaways  stole some sherbet dabs from the Aberflyarff newsagents. It was abandoned by the line and was never recovered.20230811_084050.jpg.46463b6346aadb7bb035b0666b63111f.jpg

That famous local crime fighting duo, Rolley and Gunstone, are still looking into it, and an arrest in the Roath area of Cardiff, is said to be imminent.

I take it that holding my breath for the announcement of the arrests might not be good for my health. 

Jamie

PS, glad to see you back here. Le Patron. 

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

And on that point, having left it a little time for contributors  to catch up and make their own observations, we will now put this to bed.

So, no further comments about moderation etc.

Thank you all.

Transgressors will be subjected to a tail twirl....

....and that makes hanging and flogging pale into insignificance.

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

I know it isnt but it looks somewhat reminiscent of the aftermath of the Bentley GT that Top Gear used in the Northern Territory.  It wasn't damaged but had to be completely stripped down to its parts so  the fine red bulldust could be removed from inside everything, then stone chips repaired and the lot resprayed.

image.png.ead72983d94a0f2e9b119a7b5b763555.png

The Before picture

image.png.d19968c35730748d2427d0a035642450.png

Man, that's one fugly Bentley.

It used to be (at least according to one 60's writer*) Rolls Royces were for footballers and "pop stars" whilst Bentleys were for "Gentlemen" and the styling reflected that.

Of course, Bentley is a business and goes where the fat wallets are.....

But even so....

* Ian Fleming in one of his James Bond Novels, IIRC

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Shock Horror!

If the strike is not settled, we may run out of Irn-Bru!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-66455140

Not that it'll affect me, I can't remember ever consuming the stuff...

When I worked in a Shipyard in Glasgow the locals in the yard got thru' tons (gallons?) of the stuff - the pile of empties was a sight to behold; I was told that the empties (which apparently had a deposit on them) would be collected en-masse and the money went to charity.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Man, that's one fugly Bentley.

It used to be (at least according to one 60's writer*) Rolls Royces were for footballers and "pop stars" whilst Bentleys were for "Gentlemen" and the styling reflected that.

Of course, Bentley is a business and goes where the fat wallets are.....

But even so....

* Ian Fleming in one of his James Bond Novels, IIRC

The current Rolls Royce looks like something a pimp would drive.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1