Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Do I win any cake?

I will be getting some Portuguese custard tart tomorrow. I suspect they will be consumed on-site but I will think of you. We didn’t get any cake in Valencia as everything seemed shut as it was a Sunday but at least there was a ride in the Metro which was interesting as it was underground at first and then popped up above ground. Looked just like a tram then. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I was just going to ponder why the US railroads didn't use turntables, but then remembered (a) they're rarely short of space, and (b) a turntable that could accept some of the larger steam locos, maybe even a "Big Boy", would be quite some size..

US railroads made extensive use of turntables, in the middle of their roundhouse loco depots. And they could be big, the Union Pacific had a 135' diameter unit to take 550T of 'Big Boy', and I shouldn't think they were alone in putting in similar equipment for the final generation of steam superpower.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

We are now safely out into the calmer Atlantic waters. No sign of the orca pod (led by a female called Gladys) but they only attack (or indulge in rough play, choose your description) vessels rather  smaller than the QM2. The sea is calmer here but it is noticeably cooler. I will get my daily exercise walking to the rear of the ship for dinner tonight. We have avoided afternoon tea for a few days now. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Apparently Aditi gave up looking for whales a while ago and was sitting on the balcony composing a food order to be delivered on Saturday. Isn’t technology marvellous!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The US narrow gauge lines also made use of the turning 'Y'.

However, I believe they were quite happy to use these to turn a complete train rather than just a loco.

They still use them for turning complete trains - even when carrying passengers. And it also describes a jump frog......

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I will be getting some Portuguese custard tart tomorrow. I suspect they will be consumed on-site but I will think of you. 

For some strange reason A Certain Bear doesn't get a great deal of comfort out of that.......☹️

42 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Apparently Aditi gave up looking for whales a while ago and was sitting on the balcony composing a food order to be delivered on Saturday. Isn’t technology marvellous!

That's got to be a rather expensive way to go shopping at Tess & Co.....

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Saw some dolphins this morning, heading east.

Currently looking for a pod of killer whales off the Spanish coast. I suspect we won’t see any. Though I believe we should call them orca now. 

I was told by a marine biologist at Sea World in San Diego that many years ago orcas, which are actually a species of dolphin, were called 'whale killers' by some seafarers because they had been observed doing just that - pods working together killing whales - but for some reason that became corrupted to 'killer whales', which then caught on in the wider world.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Saw some dolphins this morning, heading east.

Currently looking for a pod of killer whales off the Spanish coast. I suspect we won’t see any. Though I believe we should call them orca now. 

Be careful - there's a pod of orcas off Gib. that have taken against small sailing boats.

I gather that they have sunk / severely damaged several already.

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

For some strange reason A Certain Bear doesn't get a great deal of comfort out of that.......☹️

Our local bakery does some fine Portuguese custard tarts Bear, so if you ever visit North Hipposhire........

Dave 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Our local bakery does some fine Portuguese custard tarts Bear, so if you ever visit North Hipposhire........

Dave 

You're sellin' it to me Dave, despite there being GW-wielding Hippo's running loose.....

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

You're sellin' it to me Dave, despite there being GW-wielding Hippo's running loose.....

Being a Welsh hippo he has to go back to the land of red rugby shirts at frequent intervals to get reacquainted with sheep, bara brith and leeks so North Hipposhire becomes free and clear. Those occasions are advertised by the local tourist information centres so you could visit then.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Being a Welsh hippo he has to go back to the land of red rugby shirts at frequent intervals to get reacquainted with sheep, bara brith and leeks so North Hipposhire becomes free and clear. Those occasions are advertised by the local tourist information centres so you could visit then.

Dave

Aditi used to take her geography A level students to Shropshire. While they definitely did some wandering up and down hillsides and measuring streams their urban fieldwork did seem to involve Aditi sitting in nice tea shops.

Tony

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Be careful - there's a pod of orcas off Gib. that have taken against small sailing boats.

I gather that they have sunk / severely damaged several already.

CJI.

The pod is led by a matriarch known locally as White Gladis. I think QM2 is quite safe from orca attack but the ship did have a reduced speed while we went past Gibraltar as a whale protection protocol. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I’m currently sat in Acton Yard waiting to relieve 6M68, daydreaming like a demon about Westerns, Warships and Hymeks… goodbye cruel world, smoke me a kipper for breakfast and tell mother I love ‘er…!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Not quite sure what this sign is for

20230807_162621.jpg.aaafab59e56cdc23b66145ec687f3114.jpg

Beware of pedestrians in the 4ft,  trams and a pair of giant swinging axes perhaps

Andy 

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 11