Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Food "dust" can be exceedingly dangerous.  I've worked in quite a few places where the electrical control gear was either intrinsically safe (i.e cannot generate a spark by use of low voltage/low energy), or explosion proof - where a simple pushbutton was housed in a substantial cast iron enclosure to contain any such spark generated explosion.

Even applies to telephones; Crouse-Hinds "explosion proof" phones:

100_3031.JPG.1e6430d381ba2f407f3a83366fe953b2.JPG

C-H004-08asdeliverd.JPG.9cb3399dc50a45bad1c93737b57b81eb.JPG

"Explosion-proof" in this case means that any explosion that is created inside the phone (due to sparking of the dial contacts, for ex) will be contained completely inside the phone. The same applies to electrical fittings and devices.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I have an 18y.o daughter who limits my self-medication with (currently) Penderyn.  Last night she needed her friend driven home at closing time (long after the last bus), so it was gone midnight before I could have a dram.  Tonight I have to pick her up from a concert 30 miles away, so won't be home until nearly midnight again.  I also have a 6am start for work tomorrow, so I tend to avoid "refreshment" before bed on these nights.  Still, next weekend is a long one, so I will do my best to catch up. 

Better to pay for driving lessons for her so then she can drive herself.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Be afraid of your vacuum cleaner 

Lots of dust, mixed with air, nice sparky motor. 

No way to mix them we hope

I wondered why I get the job of vacuuming SM42 Towers. 

It also explains why I used a roller for Fresh Flour rather than spray gun. 

That and all the masking tape  I would need

Andy

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Unfortunately we seem to be pushing out more CO2 from road traffic now by encouraging petrol over diesel, ignoring the significant advances made in capturing the exhaust nasties that have occurred over the last 20 years.

Fully agree. Diesel engines are more efficient which means they produce less CO2 than petrol engines. The snag is the higher combustion temperatures produce more oxides of nitrogen which is a pollutant that causes smog. But CO2 survives in the atmosphere until it's converted back into carbon by vegetation (or dissolved in water which is not good as it makes the water more acidic) meanwhile raising the Earth's temperature.

Oxides of nitrogen create nasty pollution in sufficient concentration to produce unhealthy smog but that only happens in major urban areas. Not only that but oxides of nitrogen, unlike CO2, do not remain in the atmosphere for very long. What has happened is that those who live in rural locations are subsidizing those who live in major conurbations while making our efforts caused by CO2 to reduce global warming less effective.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, bbishop said:

One should never use steel wool as a scenic material.  It catches fire across a 12volt supply.  Bill

That was another item on the 1970s science curriculum. Not at the same time as the custard explosion explosion experiment. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, bbishop said:

As a cyclist, I dislike being behind a diesel vehicle than a petrol one.  Bill

If they are equipped with the correct exhaust treatment systems running on low sulfur fuel it's not possible to tell the difference. But if they are old diesel clonkers there could be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Someone mentioned suppositories.

image.png.f388c8f3ce0cfb40c8607aeb65642b87.png

9 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Very illuminating.

Not as good as Ready Brek!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Food "dust" can be exceedingly dangerous.

One of my formative experiences came when I was a member of the ATC (an aviation-focussed version of the scouts) back around 1970. The highlight of any given week was when we were visited by a member of the Catterick barracks - I'm still partially deaf in my right ear from an evening when we were allowed to fire an anti-tank weapon (elf and safety was not a thing then). But I remember one particular evening when the explosive nature of any fine dust - flour and sawdust were the chosen materials - was demonstrated in the car park. Take one 1970s dustbin, fill it with said dust, and lob in a lit match. Kaboom!!

Never to be forgotten!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

"Explosion-proof" in this case means that any explosion that is created inside the phone (due to sparking of the dial contacts, for ex) will be contained completely inside the phone. The same applies to electrical fittings and devices.

There is an ongoing quest at Chateau Sheep, being conducted by the Memsahib in relation to finding underpants that work on the same principle.............

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

There is an ongoing quest at Chateau Sheep, being conducted by the Memsahib in relation to finding underpants that work on the same principle.............

My great uncle Bartholomew's chariot after his armoured shreddies failed whilst he was having a crafty smoke.

image.png.c380819345f6823b5b6125541d394efd.png

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SM42 said:

I spend my brownie points very quickly. 

Stops them going off. 

Andy

What's the current conversion rate from Brownie Points to Deltics?

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

RLASmud.jpg.3b5aa8923f329429069e4994b78231eb.jpg

This is me in Mrs NB's car being rescued from the car park of the Royal Lancashire Agriculture Show.

It was always going to be bad, when they were towing cars ONTO the car park.......

If Bear had arrived to a show requiring towing ON TO the car park I would've headed somewhere else PDQ

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

My great uncle Bartholomew's chariot after his armoured shreddies failed whilst he was having a crafty smoke.

image.png.c380819345f6823b5b6125541d394efd.png

Known throughout the regiment as Farty Barty or so I'm given to understand. 

I won't mention his party piece at Regimental dinners...............

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
Just now, NHY 581 said:

Known throughout the regiment as Farty Barty or so I'm given to understand. 

I won't mention his party piece at Regimental dinners...............

It wasn't entirely his fault.

The official enquiry found that the manufacturer of the aforementioned armoured shreddies, had not taken the effects of 4 gallons of Guinness and dustbin full of a really spicy Gurkha curry into their design calculations.

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Charcoal lined undergarments may be the way forward, they won't prevent explosions, as such, but they should dampen the noxious effluvia.

Alternatively, small charcoal biscuits, inserted appropriately, should do the trick!

Edited by Hroth
missing letter
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Charcoal lined undergarments may be the way forward, they won't prevent explosions, as such, but they should dampen the noxious effluvia.

ISTR actually seeing such things for sale on the 'net - as to whether or not they actually work......

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

I've been known  to take the Landrover to shows if the weather is soggy, that's local fetes and more distant MRC events with grass car parking.

Back in around 1977/8 yours truly was one of many who waded around in 3 feet of dough trying to put out the fires in the remains of a flour mill near the current London city airport.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, TheQ said:

. . . . .  more distant MRC events with grass car parking.

It's probably 7 or 8 years ago that I was helping on a stand at the Stafford Show which at that time was held in early February and sometimes it snowed . . . Several times I heard the tannoy "CRT CRT" and had no idea what it meant - until I went to the exhibitors room for a tea and found two guys there in full hi-vis wet weather gear covered from head to toe in thick mud. They were the "Car Recovery Team" dragging visitors out of the mud. The exhibition is now held in September . . . . . . 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3