Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I was once on Sale of the Century in uniform. 

Ja ie

How much did they get for you?

Dave

Just seen that I was beaten to it. Great minds etc.

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A better day today. After church I got a couple of 'when you've got a few minutes' jobs done*, which earned sufficient brownie points for another couple of hours in the supplemental house extension department in the afternoon then after dinner Jill suggested that as there was nothing on the haunted fishtank that was of interest why didn't I go down there again. Never one to look a gifthorse in the bum I disappeared at roughly the speed of heat and have just now finished. I have to admit, though, that the recent encouragement to go and do some modelling is beginning to worry me; is there something in the offing that I am not aware of and I'm being softened up for when the bomb finally drops? Should I be afraid?

* Which only took about two hours

Dave  

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

I seem to have had a reasonably successful and what might be described as a "proper" weekend.

Saturday morning was earlier than usual as we met an old schoolfriend of Paula's and partner, for breakfast at a local pub, while they were on their way from Hartlepool to Portsmouth to see his son.  I'll get up early on a Saturday for a cooked breakfast if someone else is cooking it.  Successfully fitted a replacement rear door handle assembly - which I bought off a scrappy last August - to the Freelander, after giving up on trying to swap the lock barrels (came to the conclusion it was designed to definitely never come apart) but to my surprise, it's not synched to the lock so the central locking still works on it.  At least that's one less piece of the car held on with duct tape. Bit of a lazy day otherwise but finished a book I've been reading on the Williams F1 team in the early 90s.

Today included a later lie-in, watching the beginning of the race at Silverstone* and listening in to the end of the 3rd Test.  Even managed to get a

small amount of modelling done, with a little painting to the first two on the Anglicised Lima Plymouth production line I started about four years ago.  My daughter said I'm welcome to paint the Airfix Jet Provost she built a few weeks ago.  At this rate I might even complete a model or two this year.

*Amusing moment in the pre-race grid walk when the sychophantic celebrity-spotting C4 presenter spoke to Sam Ryder and asked if he'd been to the Silverstone F1 before.  Fortunately he was too polite to point out that yes, she might have spotted him there last year when he sang the National Anthem..... 

Edited by Northmoor
Extra para
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

...snip...  Should I be afraid?

Dave  

7 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Probably!

No, DEFINITELY!!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

This is going to be a bit of a rant.  It is not intended as a discussion point.

I presume we are all aware of news that the BBC is currently embroiled in what some might call another sex scandal where a well known, but currently unidentified male presenter has paid a minor for illicit pictures of a sexual nature.

The press are having a field day and social media platforms are full of speculation.  This speculation has got to the point where certain BBC personalities are having to issue denials as to their involvement.

We are told that the BBC, after being told of this allegation last May, has finally (only just?) referred this case to the Metropolitan Police, although the Met were saying they have yet to receive a formal request to investigate.

The mother of this minor (although he is now an adult) allegedly contacted the BBC back in May about this.  Apparently the first contact between the presenter/personality and the minor had been back in 2020.

What does this stupid woman think the BBC is going to do about it?  If the alleged offender had worked for Anglian Windows and Doors would she have complained to their CEO?

Even if she had only found out about it earlier this year her complaint should have been directly to the Police, whom I am sure, would have been all over the case like a very nasty rash.

• Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I presume we are all aware of news that the BBC is currently embroiled in what some might call another sex scandal where a well known, but currently unidentified male presenter has paid a minor for illicit pictures of a sexual nature.

The press are having a field day and social media platforms are full of speculation.  This speculation has got to the point where certain BBC personalities are having to issue denials as to their involvement.

We are told that the BBC, after being told of this allegation last May, has finally (only just?) referred this case to the Metropolitan Police, although the Met were saying they have yet to receive a formal request to investigate.

The mother of this minor (although he is now an adult) allegedly contacted the BBC back in May about this.  Apparently the first contact between the presenter/personality and the minor had been back in 2020.

What does this stupid woman think the BBC is going to do about it?  If the alleged offender had worked for Anglian Windows and Doors would she have complained to their CEO?

Even if she had only found out about it earlier this year her complaint should have been directly to the Police, whom I am sure, would have been all over the case like a very nasty rash.

One only has to see which newspaper rag is making a fuss about it to know it is bash the BBC time. 

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Actually I'm not sure that the gender of the presenter has been confirmed.  I feel sorry for all the BBC presenters who are having to issue "It's not me" statements.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

One only has to see which newspaper rag is making a fuss about it to know it is bash the BBC time. 

One also has to ask when and how said ‘chip wrapper’ became aware of the ‘story’ and what steps they took, or did not take, to verify the facts.  If the facts are as they say, surely they have a duty to involve the boys in blue themselves, or would that not suit their editorial purpose?

John

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Actually I'm not sure that the gender of the presenter has been confirmed.  I feel sorry for all the BBC presenters who are having to issue "It's not me" statements.

It has been stated that a male presenter has been suspended.

CJI.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Unless the BBC had independent corroboration of the allegation it was not their responsibility to report the concern to the police. That was the mother's responsibility. If she didn't, she is a major part of the problem. I could speculate about her motivation but I best not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PupCam said:

331557833_1326094558172891_3318036479616180566_n.jpg.9c63d2fdb603ac423d916d09d723b1d8.jpg312063390_1956377857901522_1316151597279530301_n.jpg.c7777d8b4dea4d1c84564829ace2630c.jpg

There's some rivets missing.......

6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Bears and Hippos definitely do think alike (and not just on Cake either).

Cynical Bear has visions of words "Compo" and "Sell the Story" flashing before his eyes.  Words like "Justice" follow some way behind....

(Incidentally, I'm a very great believer in that such media reporting should be outlawed - they should ONLY be permitted to report such matters when - and if - the Police have made formal charges.  Mud sticks n' all that.)

Edited by polybear
  • Like 2
  • Agree 8

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

(Incidentally, I'm a very great believer in that such media reporting should be outlawed - they should ONLY be permitted to report such matters when - and if - the Police have made formal charges.  Mud sticks n' all that.)

They are worse than a lynch mob because they are doing it for money.

• Agree 7

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Cynical Bear has visions of words "Compo" and "Sell the Story" flashing before his eyes.  Words like "Justice" follow some way behind....

The even more cynical Captain Cynical opines that, nowadays, it’s only because of social media exposure and the resulting twitterstorm that some companies and organisations (grudgingly and unwillingly) “do the right thing”

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The even more cynical Captain Cynical opines that, nowadays, it’s only because of social media exposure and the resulting twitterstorm that some companies and organisations (grudgingly and unwillingly) “do the right thing”

Though is there any justification to "do the right thing" before a person has been formally charged?  There's a real danger that nut jobs/those bearing a grudge/those out the make money/insert another of your choice etc. etc. can simply invent a wrongdoing and destroy someone's life even when totally innocent.  This can also have a detrimental effect on those that genuinely have been wronged as people/authorities etc. can become much more suspicious as to motives.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

The "right thing" is to not throw someone under a bus based on one person's allegations. The "right thing" would have been for the BBC to have told that person to immediately report the matter to the police. The "wrong thing" would be to approach the fish-supper-wrapper press without having already informed the police.

Obviously I really do not know what events transpired and in what order they took place but absent that sort of detail let's try not to jump ahead.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

The "wrong thing" would be to approach the fish-supper-wrapper press without having already informed the police.

Obviously I really do not know what events transpired and in what order they took place but absent that sort of detail let's try not to jump ahead.

From today's BBC News website:

The Metropolitan Police says it has received initial contact from the BBC "but no formal referral or allegation has been made"

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

From today's BBC News website:

The Metropolitan Police says it has received initial contact from the BBC "but no formal referral or allegation has been made"

IOW at this point the whole thing is simply character assassination, probably with a view to making money. Will they be happy if the recipient of all of attention this commits suicide?

It's a lynch mob for all the worst reasons. This individual is being targeted because of a public persona. It's really far more about the BBC than the individual. If it was Joe Soap down the gas works you'd hear nothing about it.

Let the police and the courts do their jobs.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday, we came back from Reading in about 3 1/4 hours.  This was via the M4, A419, M5 and them up through Kidderminster and Bridgnorth.  It did mean we avoided what seemed to be a gazillion miles of Roadworks which we had encountered on our way down on Thursday when we used the M6 and the M42/M40.

As we moved further north, we started to chase the rain, and eventually caught it up, drove through it, and back into clearer weather.

Of course the wet stuff then put a sprint on and managed to catch us up as we were unloading the car.

'Ground Force' are now outside cutting more slabs as it would appear they are on course to finish the slabbing of the replacement patio today, providing the weather does not get any worse.

Of course, a goodly dose of rain onto the newly barrowed in topsoil would create a rather splendid mud splash, but I might be in a minority of one with such a delight.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Yesterday, we came back from Reading in about 3 1/4 hours.  This was via the M4, A419, M5 and them up through Kidderminster and Bridgnorth.  It did mean we avoided what seemed to be a gazillion miles of Roadworks which we had encountered on our way down on Thursday when we used the M6 and the M42/M40.

Sheesh! You have a choice of motorways? There is one not too far from here but to get to the others that run through Idaho I have to go through Montana or Washington for a considerable distance. To connect without leaving the state the route is best described as "scenic" so it's good to not be in a hurry 😄

(There is some pretty amazing scenery and some remarkable railroad engineering along the way too. I should really research that.)

• Like 9