Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

IBAN details and not sort code and account number

But don’t UK IBAN codes include the sort code and account number?

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Lorna was talking to the neighbor across the street who told her that they were getting a new deck because the present one is falling to bits. That's not a surprise because their house was built by the same guy who built our house and theirs is a couple of years older. External wood does take a terrible beating here too. The climate difference between Winter and Summer takes its toll.

Lorna mentioned, "Andrew is making new railings for ours, in metal." The neighbor lady thought Lorna was winding her up! Her husband is a recently retired engineer from the Boeing Aircraft Corp although "retired" might just be one way of putting it.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Lorna mentioned, "Andrew is making new railings for ours, in metal." The neighbor lady thought Lorna was winding her up! Her husband is a recently retired engineer from the Boeing Aircraft Corp although "retired" might just be one way of putting it.

As I was reading that bit I was expecting the neighbour to ask if you'd make some railings for them too - and for SWMBO to say "I'm sure he will......"

• Agree 3
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

As I was reading that bit I was expecting the neighbour to ask if you'd make some railings for them too - and for SWMBO to say "I'm sure he will......"

By the time I'm finished with ours I'll be a World Expert so it's not impossible that services will be rendered, for a serious price of course 😄

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, AndyID said:

External wood does take a terrible beating here too.

It isn’t particularly bad here and most decking is wood but two neighbours installed some composite  material decking. It was product from the US and is supposed to be very weather resistant. It does appear to be so.  When the next door neighbour put in the order for the materials they phoned back to confirm he had measured correctly as it seemed large for a domestic property. 

Edited by Tony_S
Strange spell check results.
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Having a free day tomorrow to go to the Warley Club open day. Main attractions are great bacon sarnies, an S7 layout on which to let some of my locos stretch their legs and some serious gum bashing with friends old and new. What's not to like?

Dave 

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Don't concern yourself in the slightest. The buyer has your contact details and the details of the item. 

I hope you only sent IBAN details and not sort code and account number, since you imply that you were paid by transfer? Harvesting of bank details is a very common scam. 

I usually use PayPal for this sort of transaction, for that reason 

I think that you will find that your account number and sort code are in the IBAN.

I could be wrong though, (In was wrong once 20 years ago).

Edited by pgcroc
Tony_S beat me to it.
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Isn't it just a tarted-upVW Touareg?

Yup! But the punters still go for it. You see it's the badge that really matters when you are at the golf club bar.

Mind you, you could say the original Porches were just tarted up VWs too but there were serious differences between them. It wasn't always the case but the "high-end" manufacturers have a problem because high-volume automobiles are just so incredibly good. Their engineering and production methods are now so advanced it's almost impossible for a manufacturer to find alternatives.

Case in point, IDSPIDY was originally intended to be an Alfa Romeo but the only way they could get it built properly and quickly was to have it built in Japan on a Mazda Miata chassis. The snag is there is a rule that Alfa Romeos must be made in Italy so they renamed it as the Fiat 124 Spider.

(And what a fantastic little car it is 🙂)

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Isn't it just a tarted-upVW Touareg?

Quite a few cars including Bentleys and Lamborghinis are based on the VW Touareg platform. My neighbour with a sporty Lamborghini said it is really just a Volkswagen. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sort code and account number is used all over the place for payments, from the local  builder to large national and multi national businesses.  Even the account name is ofyen included  for secondary checks on getting the right account

No-one seems too concerned about advertising them. 

It's almost a universal way to pay for anything mail order in the motherland. 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Sort code and account number is used all over the place for payments, from the local  builder to large national and multi national businesses.  Even the account name is ofyen included  for secondary checks on getting the right account

No-one seems too concerned about advertising them. 

It's almost a universal way to pay for anything mail order in the motherland. 

Andy

And every time you pay a total stranger with a cheque you give them your sort code and a/c number

• Agree 9

21 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

... and your signature.

To what extent an actual signature is worth a crepe these days is debatable. Twenty years ago we were signing "Donald Duck", "Mickey Mouse" etc on our company AmEx card chits and it didn't seem to make the slightest bit of difference 😁

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, polybear said:

And every time you pay a total stranger with a cheque you give them your sort code and a/c number

Or a Direct Debit instruction

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

The thing is, whilst the IBAN code includes diverse banking information I can use them to only pay in. I can't use those details to get money out. I have the IBANS for quite a few large, wealthy, companies (like Swisscom, my phone provider)  so I can pay for services etc. but to get money out - that's a different story.

To get money out of my company account (whether to pay salaries or purchase something etc) requires 3 factor identification, one component of which is randomly generated every time and one component of which is sent to a personal device which in turn requires  both biometric and password 3 factor identification for access.

Plus at the bank we use for our private and company accounts it appears that they must have some sort of algorithm that analyses outgoing payments and flags and blocks any payments that fall outside the normal pattern. I once received a call from the bank enquiring about an unusual company payment and I'm glad that they did. An extra zero had been accidentally typed in when I authorised payment and the SFr 10,000 payment had become SFr 100,000. That was quickly corrected, I can tell you.

Whether ir not that is a service provided just for business customers, just for all customers at the bank we use or for all Swiss banks I don't know.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, AndyID said:

To what extent an actual signature is worth a crepe these days is debatable. Twenty years ago we were signing "Donald Duck", "Mickey Mouse" etc on our company AmEx card chits and it didn't seem to make the slightest bit of difference 😁

50 years ago when I started work at Lloyds, we received hundreds of cheques every morning and had to check them for payee, amount in words and figures agreed, date and signature - but even then we never actually checked the signature against the card index except for high value transactions. Due to the volume, in a branch in a small provincial town, it took four staff all day to perform this task and the banks soon realised that the number of cheques returned for a technicality was very small and so they introduced limits below which no examination took place. If a customer complained that a post dated or unsigned cheque had been paid in error, it was quicker and cheaper to accept the bank had made a mistake and refund the customer - so just one member of staff was looking at the higher value cheques. I have no idea how the process works these days as you can pay in a photograph of a cheque so the bank never see the actual cheque.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Quite a few cars including Bentleys and Lamborghinis are based on the VW Touareg platform. My neighbour with a sporty Lamborghini said it is really just a Volkswagen. 

Which is really a brilliant bit of marketeering. It's not a terribly utilitarian utility vehicle and it's definitely not a sports car. The whole "SUV" racket is really quite clever. Sports cars might be very powerful (although that's not really necessary) but what they should do is handle well, and that requires the C of G to be very close to the ground. That's completely incompatible with the so called SUVs on the road today.

They are really just glorified four-wheel-drive vans with unnecessarily powerful engines 😁

Replies on a postcard to:

Horace Bachelor.......

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Don't concern yourself in the slightest. The buyer has your contact details and the details of the item. 

I hope you only sent IBAN details and not sort code and account number, since you imply that you were paid by transfer? Harvesting of bank details is a very common scam. 

I usually use PayPal for this sort of transaction, for that reason 

I have an account that I use exclusively for BACS transfers.  If I am paying out, I transfer into the account the exact amount then forward it on.  If I'm getting paid, as soon as the money is in, it is transferred elsewhere.  It is kept active by keeping £1.50 in it🤣

(I've been using this system since I left the Army in 1994 without issue)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

This is a proper sports car.

DSCN5079.JPG.5016f7fc3d0ee375fce1f8728c132815.JPG

IDSIPDY only has a 1.4L engine but she also has a turbocharger to recover much of the energy that would otherwise be whizzed away at the exhaust.

It might not be the fastest thing on wheels but the local chicks really seem to love it.

(Oops, maybe I should not have posted that.)

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 12
  • Funny 3