Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

And now the pyrotechnics begin.

"Let's go out to the lake, get completely sh1t-faced and whizz away many, many Deltics on the loudest possible fireworks."

Should be all over in a couple of weeks as long as the entire place doesn't go up in flames.

It was hot today. I went into town this evening and it was still 91F there. IDSPIDY had her roof down and she received another appreciative comment at a traffic light. A lot of younger ladies seem to like her too, until they see the old geezer at the wheel.

Not sure what happened there but Fiat really had a winner. Maybe the margins were just too small but I think it's more because the market for authentic two-seater sports cars is disappearing. QED, a Porsche with four doors?

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, AndyID said:

QED, a Porsche with four doors?

It would seem that the Cayenne has been a financial success for Porsche. I thought their first 4 door effort the Panamera just looked wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The plumber came today and sorted the leaks out so Hunt Towers is now entering the last phase of the great kitchen debacle refurbishment, i.e., decorating. Starting tomorrow I'll be doing all the preparation, which will involve a lot of sanding down rough bits of wall where tiles have been removed, filling gaps and holes, fixing sections of skirting etc. I've got a day off on Sunday to go to the Warley Club's open day but will be back to it on Monday so that painting can commence and be finished a week today. I wonder if Polish Andy is available?

Dave   

I have a newly made rule at the Hippodrome:  If a contractor is required to do a job, they do the job; the whole job, and nothing but the job.

I'm not sanding something down or filling holes just so some highly paid artiste can mince in and paint over all my hard graft.  They are going to paint it so they need to prepare their own canvas.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have a newly made rule at the Hippodrome:  If a contractor is required to do a job, they do the job; the whole job, and nothing but the job.

I'm not sanding something down or filling holes just so some highly paid artiste can mince in and paint over all my hard graft.  They are going to paint it so they need to prepare their own canvas.

It also has the added advantage that if the finish comes out cr@p they can't turn round and say "well that's cos' you didn't prep it properly"

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, newbryford said:

I hope you've painted the skirting boards ahead of the carpet arrival.

That was done last weekend

Just some patching up on the walls required repairing the various dings and lumps I missed first time.

Andy

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Here in Switzerland, electricians, plasterers, woodworkers, plumbers and like get most upset if you'd try to "assist them" in any way before they start their job (about the only thing they will put up with is you moving things out of the way, and even then they may have an apprentice or two to do the heavy lifting whilst they prepare to do the job proper).

in Switzerland they have the Swiss equivalent of Guild Standards that they have to adhere to and live up to. So they certainly don't want some clueless amateur mucking things up for them

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

So they certainly don't want some clueless amateur mucking things up for them

Do they permit the supply of tea/coffee and biscuits?

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Our over the road neighbour is part of the building trade community. We rely on him for advice on who to get to do jobs we can’t do for ourselves (getting more as we age). Apparently we are also noted as good customers as Lee certainly wouldn’t lumber his mates with some people!  The stories builders tell of awkward customers are quite revealing too.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Here is a strange one!

I sold a 7mm scale LMS horsebox via Facebook.

The buyer paid me twice for the same!

I have been in contact for his address and his BACS details to  get the parcel off to him and issue a refund, or I am prepared to send a cheque.

Absolutely nothing.

I'm currently twice the asking price up on the deal and still have the horsebox.

I feel really bad about this, but have made repeated requests, for his address and have had some replies, but I'm currently stuck in this loop.

Usually people want the item yesterday and would be very keen to get back their overpayment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Here is a strange one!

I have been in contact for his address and his BACS details to  get the parcel off to him and issue a refund, or I am prepared to send a cheque.

Absolutely nothing.

I'm currently twice the asking price up on the deal and still have the horsebox.

I feel really bad about this, but have made repeated requests, for his address and have had some replies, but I'm currently stuck in this loop.

Usually people want the item yesterday and would be very keen to get back their overpayment.

Not suggesting it's happening in this case, but now that cheques are rarely the form of payment this is a known fraudster's trick, to get one as it has your signature on it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Northmoor said:

Not suggesting it's happening in this case, but now that cheques are rarely the form of payment this is a known fraudster's trick, to get one as it has your signature on it.

I'm more worried about him thinking I'm a fraudster.

After all, I have  been paid twice for the horsebox and still have it in my possession.

But until I receive his address, I cannot dispatch it.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

After all, I have  been paid twice for the horsebox and still have it in my possession.

Send a message to the "buyer" stating that if they don't respond in say, a week, that the sale will be regarded as void and that you are ready to refund their payments. How was payment made?

Ok, you've not got a sale, but you will have covered your back!

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Here in Switzerland, electricians, plasterers, woodworkers, plumbers and like get most upset if you'd try to "assist them" in any way before they start their job (about the only thing they will put up with is you moving things out of the way, and even then they may have an apprentice or two to do the heavy lifting whilst they prepare to do the job proper).

in Switzerland they have the Swiss equivalent of Guild Standards that they have to adhere to and live up to. So they certainly don't want some clueless amateur mucking things up for them

What's the process like in Switzerland if a Tradesman does a pony job? (a problem all too common in the UK, sadly).

Here is a strange one!

Absolutely nothing.

It was Bear - I'd wondered where my Horsey Box had got to, and why my sums didn't add up.....

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Send a message to the "buyer" stating that if they don't respond in say, a week, that the sale will be regarded as void and that you are ready to refund their payments. How was payment made?

Ok, you've not got a sale, but you will have covered your back!

I had the same happen to me on eBay a couple of years ago; some VHS videos were clearly listed as "For Collection Only", but as is all too common, the bidder hadn't read the listing properly*.  They'd paid instantly before I pointed out they were over an hour's drive away.  I offered to meet them halfway (after work in London) but they never replied to any further comms.  I am £17 up on the deal.

*The general public whinge about "Rip-off Britain", but the number of people being ripped off must be dwarfed by the numbers who are just completely incompetent at managing their own money

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

clearly listed as "For Collection Only"

I must be odd, I always look at the delivery methods offered by the seller!  I must admit that I'm discouraged by "collection only" lots as they are usually too far away. The last time I collected a lot was probably at least 15 years ago...

@Happy Hippo Just think, what if you unilaterally voided the sale and put it back on the market, for the same bod to try and buy it again?

We're entering The Twilight Zone.....

Edited by Hroth
An extra thort
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I decided that since Nyda is away tomorrow I've had a leisurely day....

Cleaning!

My next task, is to go and see if there are any more raspberries, strawberries, plus lettuce and cucumbers to pick.

If there is I might be some time.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Our over the road neighbour is part of the building trade community. We rely on him for advice on who to get to do jobs we can’t do for ourselves (getting more as we age). Apparently we are also noted as good customers as Lee certainly wouldn’t lumber his mates with some people!  The stories builders tell of awkward customers are quite revealing too.

It is a universal truth, seldom acknowledged, that for every “dodgy trader” story you hear from a disappointed customer there will also be a disappointed trader telling a story about a “dodgy” or just plain “weird” customer. Not necessarily about the same transaction, but both sides can tell their own stock of tales  with genuine conviction. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

It is a universal truth, seldom acknowledged, that for every “dodgy trader” story you hear from a disappointed customer there will also be a disappointed trader telling a story about a “dodgy” or just plain “weird” customer. Not necessarily about the same transaction, but both sides can tell their own stock of tales  with genuine conviction. 

My neighbour also tells me about problems he has with other tradesmen, especially getting paid for work done as a subcontractor. Experience has taught him to only work with people he trusts. 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Don't concern yourself in the slightest. The buyer has your contact details and the details of the item. 

I hope you only sent IBAN details and not sort code and account number, since you imply that you were paid by transfer? Harvesting of bank details is a very common scam. 

I usually use PayPal for this sort of transaction, for that reason 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1