Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

James Cameron seems to be making some rather leading comments about the likely sequence of events aboard Titan - particularly about the ballast weights being released, suggesting that they were attempting to abort the dive. I can only assume that US law regarding jeopardising a possible inquest, is somewhat different to ours? I don't doubt we will be seeing this on the big screen, sooner rather than later.

Regarding the recovery of bodies, I don't understand the maths of the  compression/ignition part. I also suspect that the amount of actual documented research surrounding this subject is quite small. That said, I can easily believe that such a violent event leaves few,if any recognisable remains. There's also the fact that the USCG went straight to the wreck location once they had the right ROV and if there were anything to recover, they would know. 

Various TNMers have already made the point about design life vs repeated operational cycles. I've seen some comment in the technical press about Finite Element Analysis in contiguous and non-contiguous structures. Again I don't fully understand the maths of this but the general sense seems clear enough. 

From BBC News today:

The glass viewport, from which passengers could see out, was only certified down to 1,300m, far short of the depths of the ocean floor where the Titantic wreck lay.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

The thing I've always found puzzling about cricket, is the way that nation teams seem to be on top form one year, and quite useless the next. 

For an exercise in testosterone-fuelled aggression, I recommend an afternoon in the nets... I definitely find that cricket is one of those sports best appreciated by those who have actually played it. 

I much prefer Ladies Beach Volleyball as a spectator sport.

I have been offering my various muddy hollows as venues for the world series of mud wrestling, but so far have been unsuccessful.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We didn't go near the town today. It was the Ironman Triathalon and the place would be packed. Even getting there would have taken a while. The bicycle segment runs on the main highway between here and town. The bikes run on two of the the four lanes and traffic is controlled by marshals at all the intersections. I suppose we could have gone up to the highway to cheer them on but it's not as exciting as the Tour de France. The cyclist are timed over the route.

They did get pretty good weather for it. The Sun was shining but it was not too hot.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

When I was in form five ( last year before 6th form ) at comp. the girls home netball matches were always well attended due to the.....er.....ahem.....cough.....the obvious....cough..... "attributes " of the team.....several of whom were....um....well known for their....cough....athleticism and......ahem.......ball handling......

God bless the '70s

Rob

Sounds like a fit bunch to me!

Coughcoughcough.....

• Funny 11

8 hours ago, SM42 said:

Actually that got me thinking about things I'd like to do after I retire. 

An Ashes test match is definitely one 

Andy

Just think though after you retire there'll be more time to paint. Isn't that a cheerful thought to mull over on a Monday morning.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Just think though after you retire there'll be more time to paint. Isn't that a cheerful thought to mull over on a Monday morning.

I'm mulling over some painting as we speak. 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On the subject of cricket I don't have much to say as I've never played I have though paid someone to ensure that the grass has been cut to enable it to be played. My other comment is its boring. I will now retire to my version of a nuclear fall out bunker ie. card board box at the bottom of the garden- would have used the shed but as I don't have one...........

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

If I were really bonkers, I could cover the teams' net sessions today and tomorrow.  This is a real "meet the teams" opportunity.  But four days is enough, by the end of Saturday I shall be aching.  And the amount of cricket watched will be inversely proportional to the size of the crowd, the temperature in the stands and the volume of beer drunk. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

@iL Dottore mentioned cricket and cream teas. My cousin’s husband and their son have been fairly active members of their local cricket club. My cousin invited us to her grandson’s christening and a tea afterwards at the cricket club pavilion. It was rather substantial. As well as a range of sandwiches, quiches, pizza etc, there were lots of Indian snacks as well. 

I think I mentioned before that Aditi’s cousin (lives near Delhi) opened a cafe recently. She has always wanted one and when they moved to their present house converted the top floor of their old house into a caff, serving pizza, quiche, pastries and other “foreign” food. Her daughter and new husband keep popping round and make suggestions about including “healthy” food. Anita (Aditi’s cousin) has now employed a manager to run the cafe as the hobby has become a successful business. 
Tony

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

All this talk of cricket and cream teas(e).

You have no idea!

https://www.attitude-dance-school.com/creamtease

I really do wonder what your search history looks like.

Might explain some of the adverts that seem to only pop up on this thread

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I would venture that cricket is up there with baseball as one of those sports which both mystifies and bores the average person,

Whilst not contesting @iL Dottore's catering remarks, there are two key advantages of baseball over cricket. Mostly: it ends in 3-4 hours - no rained-out on the 5th day and ending in a draw. Partly: at least some of it take place close enough to the expensive seats for spectators to be able to see it. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, SM42 said:

Actually that got me thinking about things I'd like to do after I retire. 

An Ashes test match is definitely one 

Andy

Time to do what you want when you retire? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Time to do what you want when you retire? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

The main thing I want to have to time to do is not go to work. 

Andy

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I was so taken with Andy's mulling over yet more painting, that I quickly sanded down one of the cassette tables for Pantmawr North and gave it a quick coat of paint.

I also started making the DMU hutch by laminating some timber and once the adhesive had gone off, cut it to size.

This afternoon, the locking latch handle on the table saw fence snapped, and although it is still useable, it is a little inconvenient.

Being as it is a cheapo saw, spares are not easily forthcoming, so I will be making a new handle over the next few days.

Fortunately this should be fairly straightforward, although the replacement will be wood and steel studding rather than a plastic moulding.

(What did I say about over engineering my repairs?)

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

5 hours ago, SM42 said:

I really do wonder what your search history looks like.

Might explain some of the adverts that seem to only pop up on this thread

Andy

Let's just hope that Mrs HH doesn't know how to find it, otherwise HH might be staying for a very long time in his muddy hollow.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

48 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I was so taken with Andy's mulling over yet more painting, that I quickly sanded down one of the cassette tables for Pantmawr North and gave it a quick coat of paint.

I also started making the DMU hutch by laminating some timber and once the adhesive had gone off, cut it to size.

This afternoon, the locking latch handle on the table saw fence snapped, and although it is still useable, it is a little inconvenient.

Being as it is a cheapo saw, spares are not easily forthcoming, so I will be making a new handle over the next few days.

Fortunately this should be fairly straightforward, although the replacement will be wood and steel studding rather than a plastic moulding.

(What did I say about over engineering my repairs?)

One assumes the replacement will accommodate your lack of full length digit extension. No point in including for a full length digit when only part of its there. Waste of good materials.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

4 hours ago, SM42 said:

The main thing I want to have to time to do is not go to work. 

Andy

I would see someone about that Andy if I were you. Having delusional thoughts is quite a serious condition. Perhaps our resident medical consultant could advise once he's returned from his fact finding/business trip/ jollie in the land of the rising sun.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nothing suitable on the 'bay?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, polybear said:

Nothing suitable on the 'bay?

I did look, but no.

I can't see the build of a new one taking more than about 15 minutes.

I've made a repair to the plastic handle which seems to be working, but I'll still replace it with something stronger.

Later on in the year, I may very well replace the table saw with a higher quality version:  That would be with a cast and ground table face.

If I had the time and inclination I think that for what I'm usually cutting up, then apart from ripping long strips, then making one of these might be a cheaper option.  Certainly it would be a space saver.

He also does a longer one which reaches to the floor.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I've had a semi retired day today. 

I mulled until about 2pm and then did a bit of something close to nothing

2 phone calls made, a bit of paper sorting  and some tools put away. 

I may paint later, but as I've an early start tomorrow, it won't be much if any. 

Andy

• Like 10