Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

Surely one is too many? I recall yesterday's conversation did not mention them once, but you did drop little snippets such as 44xx and 4575.

I believe these are the mystical non-paneers of a long-forgotten railway company.

But they were on the "Small" side of the non-paneer types...

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

In typical Shropshire style, the day the brickie is to start is accompanied by rain, so I don't expect there will be much progress until later on.

It may be another day of sorting out railway stuff, and making a decision on whether to replace some fence panels, or wait until they fall out.

I did look at getting some more sustainable panels but the difference between timber and recycled is astromomical.

A treated timber panel of 6 x 6 is about £30, whereas a recycled plastic or plastic and metal panel is around £143.

If I have to replace the panels every 10 years (They have been in 15 so far) how long will it be before I reach a break even point?

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

In typical Shropshire style, the day the brickie is to start is accompanied by rain, so I don't expect there will be much progress until later on.

It may be another day of sorting out railway stuff, and making a decision on whether to replace some fence panels, or wait until they fall out.

I did look at getting some more sustainable panels but the difference between timber and recycled is astromomical.

A treated timber panel of 6 x 6 is about £30, whereas a recycled plastic or plastic and metal panel is around £143.

If I have to replace the panels every 10 years (They have been in 15 so far) how long will it be before I reach a break even point?

Too long...

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Lots, plus inflation.

Plus, where wood is concerned, there's the Dipped vs Tanalised debate...

I am slowly moving towards the acquisition of a SHED... Tanalised sheds are too bl@@dy dear by half (literally, a 40% markup on standard), especially for a decent one made from substantial T&G timber. So it'll be "dipped" timber, but I'll be immediately painting it in a suitable colour, say Light/Dark Stone.....

Edited by Hroth
Sheds...
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

10 hours ago, AndyID said:

It's true. According to AZ Animals "hippos are so dense that they cannot float". Not sure if that refers to their physical density, intellectual capacity or both 😁

Not a wise question to ask around a notoriously tetchy and irritable* military grade cake-fueled projectile faecal ejector…

* Hippos are one of the few beasts in the animal kingdom that is always permanently p****d off and just on the brink of a rampage…..

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Not a wise question to ask around a notoriously tetchy and irritable* military grade cake-fueled projectile faecal ejector…

* Hippos are one of the few beasts in the animal kingdom that is always permanently p****d off and just on the brink of a rampage…..

I wonder if Hippos would be less irritable if the leeches could be removed.  It must be like having piles....

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I wonder if Hippos would be less irritable if the leeches could be removed.  It must be like having piles....

They're not too bad.

Ask them nicely and they'll scratch it for you.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

57 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

They're not too bad.

Ask them nicely and they'll scratch it for you.

I thought the best way to detach leaches was by burning them off _ well that's what they did in the bridge over the river khawi.

Perhaps we could modernise it and use a weed wand aka a flame thrower. Anyone know where we could get one?

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I see the Bears been up to his usual 'income generation' tricks again.

Back page of this mornings newspaper. A full page advert from Steiff, of Bear doing his Freddie Mercury impersonation.

You would have thought that he'd learnt his lesson, especially after Japan, but clearly not. I think this time though he'll have to be more behaved otherwise HMG will wanting a cut of the proceeds. Bear be sure to include it on your tax return as I don't think the Revenue people will believe you when you can't afford LDC.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I thought the best way to detach leaches was by burning them off _ well that's what they did in the bridge over the river khawi.

Perhaps we could modernise it and use a weed wand aka a flame thrower. Anyone know where we could get one?

Hippo leeches are, how might I put it, somewhat "internal".  The cure would be worse than the problem, and that's just for the person applying the red hot poker, let alone poor Hippo....

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Hippo leeches are, how might I put it, somewhat "internal".  The cure would be worse than the problem, and that's just for the person applying the red hot poker, let alone poor Hippo....

Look what HH gets up to in the privacy of the hippodrome boudoir is nothing to do with us. All I ask is that he washes the 'instruments' after he's finished using them. Nothing quite like finding a dirty weed wand or worse yet it being out of gas.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

You could always ignite the surrounding gases.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

35 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Look what HH gets up to in the privacy of the hippodrome boudoir is nothing to do with us. All I ask is that he washes the 'instruments' after he's finished using them. Nothing quite like finding a dirty weed wand or worse yet it being out of gas.

It might be easier to spill the beans on dealing with leaches to stop all the rumour mongering and scandalous suggestions.

The solution is quite simple:

A large well fitted cork into which has a built in Piezo igniter.

Insert cork.

Eat a decent Indian Curry at lunchtime.

After retiring for the night, after a substantial gas build up, just roll over in bed and hit the ignition switch.

Problem sorted

Do this on 25 Jan, and Burns Night takes on a whole new meaning.

PS. You'll know when it happens, as smoke comes out of my ears.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It might be easier to spill the beans on dealing with leaches to stop all the rumour mongering and scandalous suggestions.

The solution is quite simple:

A large well fitted cork into which has a built in Piezo igniter.

Insert cork.

Eat a decent Indian Curry at lunchtime.

After retiring for the night, after a substantial gas build up, just roll over in bed and hit the ignition switch.

Problem sorted

Do this on 25 Jan, and Burns Night takes on a whole new meaning.

PS. You'll know when it happens, as smoke comes out of my ears.

Singing (or even, singeing):

Edited by Hroth
spelin
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I have no idea what's up with my feet today but the soles are feeling as if they are slightly bruised.

Most strange, and slightly uncomfortable, so I have restricted my galloping around somewhat.

I succumbed to some drugs and a lie down this afternoon.  I think the lie down was prompted by hearing on the lunchtime news that if you take a nap in the afternoon it is good for you.

Well it might not be good for the brain, but it felt quite good for the feet.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

I've just done a deal with the boss. Do you want make tea and I'll go and pick cherries.  This suggestion was accepted and I spent a pleasant 20 minutes In the shade picking cherries. Several pounds later the bowl was full and I'd managed to qualty control a few.  Tea is nearly ready. It's a hard life. 

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Returning to the topic of quick snacks, anyone want a really BIG pot noodle?

So that’s where the bits out of that anatomical model in the school’s Biology lab went.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I’ve just stumbled across a livery that I think is really elegant: it’s the livery of the Hankyu Railway in Osaka.

The EMUs are in a glorious burgundy with raised stainless steel numbers and stainless steel frames for windows, lights etc.

IMG_2688.jpeg.3f84caf7116c8c073716c8042776f746.jpeg

IMG_2717.jpeg.766465acf76fb0c5f602855adb8d1dcf.jpegIMG_2716.jpeg.32b47c3fc9af292093767e126ea0b28a.jpeg

The bench seating is a lovely emerald green velour.

IMG_2690.jpeg.145b1571fe17c257d636c0dc82e19009.jpeg

All air conditioned, all with video displays showing location of train, next stations etc. in Japanese, English and sometimes Korean and Mandarin.

They are  certainly very smart, and the front end styling is somewhat remeniscent of the original Derby dmu design, which I always rather liked; gothic cathederal trains!  There's a 158 element about them as well, another style I approve of...

• Like 8