Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Mrs SM42 inbound. ETA 2030 hrs

How do you get red wine out of carpet and magic marker off the photo of the mother in law?

Andy

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, SM42 said:

How do you get red wine out of carpet and magic marker off the photo of the mother in law?

Andy

Have you considered setting fire to the house and blaming it on the dog?

Dave

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

And have to start painting all over again??

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

So, just to get up everyone’s nose (well, those in the UK that is) I’m typing this sitting in the sun on a terrace in the mountains in Andalusia with a cold glass of white wine in one hand and a piece of chorizo in the other whilst looking down the valley to the Mediterranean fifteen miles away. In this endeavour I am being accompanied by a flock of swallows who are doing their best to keep the insect population under control.

Unfortunately my fears about how we would find the place after the builders had been in were well founded and there are several days work required to get rid of all the rubbish, clean up and then repaint some walls but I hope that by Sunday it will be more swimming and catching rays than anything else.

Ah, well, no time like the present.

TTFN

Dave

I've also spent much of the day with a glass in my hand.  This morning we had our isuacermony at the memorial for Liberation day.  The mayor read out the names and we replied Mort pour La France, then read an address from the Minister for the army about the meaning of Liberation.  There was then a minutes silence for the fallen and the two village inhabitants who have died in the past year. After that we went round the cemetery and paused at the 5 war graves where the soldiers had been identified and returned for burial..  Got a mention for repairing one ofIthe plaques. 

Then it was back to the mairie for drinks and nibbles for the next hour or so.  In the afternoon our neighbours arrived beari g a bottle of red stuff in order to pick our brains about fibre. Then it was teatime. 

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

We haven't got a dog  and I'm pretty sure she's noticed we haven't. 

Andy

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Welcome to the club - all tastes like brake fluid to this Bear.....and before you ask, the answer's yes.

Don't go swallowin' it though - it'll kill you....

I’m addicted to brake fluid … but don’t worry, I can easily stop.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Welcome to the club - all tastes like brake fluid to this Bear.....and before you ask, the answer's yes.

Don't go swallowin' it though - it'll kill you....

I don’t mind cider, lager and bitter but only with meals any usually only one bottle/can. 
I’ve got enough killing brain cells as it is!

ps thanks for tip on brake fluid, I’ll give it a swerve next time I’m in Halfords!

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

in order to pick our brains about fibre.

That's weird. Being French I would think they would know all about vegetables.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

I'm still here. 

I think I've got away with it. 

She has been distracted by all the other stuff I got done, among which was repairing a candle. 

Even I was surprised how well that went. 

Tea and biscuits due any moment

Andy

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 4

3 hours ago, SM42 said:

Andy

Blame the red wine stain on the dog/next doors dog/ next, next doors dog and say you've sent the photo of the mother in law away to be reframed.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Drat forgot to allow the time difference between the Soof and UUP norf.
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

I think I had quite a successful day.

Lots of work done on the railway.

I get a day off tomorrow after my French lesson has finished, I'm off to Llandrinio for another Borders MRC running day.

I'm currently trying to sort the printer out after this morning's fiasco.

The printing head is very dirty, so it's a case of keep running the cleaning process.  I'm on run No 5 at the moment, but there are distinct improvements each time I run a test print.

To answer PB's comment about printer cartridges, there are none.  It is an Epson printer with ink tanks which is a far more economical way of doing things.  

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening orl.

After a lunch out I had some garage time, which was nice.  Changed handlebars on one of Mrs NHN's bikes as the originals had been cut narrower by it's first owner.  As we have another of the same model it felt very weird when riding that one.  Been meaning to do it for....#cough....since we bought it off him, in....#cough.....1985. Oh. Well you can't rush these things.

Then played with the train set a bit, trying to work out why one loco stops on a particular point occasionally.  It was due to a poor pickup on one wheel, when that wheel is the first to reach the frog, the frog juicer doesn't see it as it isn't passing current, so does not change the polarity of the frog.  You can guess why I use a green wire to that part of the point, can't you.....

20230303_1503231.jpg.c6e77a7247a411618a3a1b805ca2013b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening orl.

After a lunch out I had some garage time, which was nice.  Changed handlebars on one of Mrs NHN's bikes as the originals had been cut narrower by it's first owner.  As we have another of the same model it felt very weird when riding that one.  Been meaning to do it for....#cough....since we bought it off him, in....#cough.....1985. Oh. Well you can't rush these things.

Then played with the train set a bit, trying to work out why one loco stops on a particular point occasionally.  It was due to a poor pickup on one wheel, when that wheel is the first to reach the frog, the frog juicer doesn't see it as it isn't passing current, so does not change the polarity of the frog.  You can guess why I use a green wire to that part of the point, can't you.....

20230303_1503231.jpg.c6e77a7247a411618a3a1b805ca2013b.jpg

Err green wire is cheaper?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, in the UK most frogs (amphibians) are green.

Frog is also the railway modellers term for the crossing nose of a turnout.

If the 'frog' carries power it has to be able to switch polarity to avoid a short circuit.

So to easily identify the single wire leading to the 'frog' it is coloured green, which helps with any fault finding.

At least that's how I do it.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If the 'frog' carries power it has to be able to switch polarity to avoid a short circuit.

So to easily identify the single wire leading to the 'frog' it is coloured green, which helps with any fault finding.

This is commonly known as the Alberto principle.

Andy

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Not on my layout.  A blue wire is a switched feed to frogs and crossings or even a piece of plain rail somewhere on  in a group of points that have a relay matrix.  Why blue, I'd picked up Orange and Green for power feeds to plain track on Long Preston as they were the nearest coils of wire.  Blue was next. 

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5